Early UFC payout

how funny is it that when gracie was the champion of one of the first UFC's he got paid 50,000! Granted, he did fight 3 times...but the competition was nothing like the competition of today. But isn't it crazy that a lot of the fighters in UFC today don't even come close to a 50,000 dollar payday...even for 3 fights.

no shit??? i didnt catch that...thats insane

67 events later a lot of the losers barely 2K if they are lucky lol.

today's crazyness has nothing to do with Royce in the early days. 50,000 for beating 3-4 guys who are allowed to headbutt, knee, elbow, strike to your groin, pull your hair, isn't that crazy at all. He freaking earned it.

buakaw,

As they clearly should. Cheaper price, more entertaining violent fights.

i dont think that the old UFC's made more money though...maybe sold more ppv's...but they were 1/3 of the price...id like to see the numbers though, just to clear it up

Are you nuts? For the PPV championship fights they get paid a hell of a lot more than $50000. And that is basically what it was, a championship fight. And now the losers of the championship fights get paid a lot more than a $1000 also.

i don't think the old pay per view sold more than the ones after TUF. Didn't they just say they set a PPV record for UFC a couple UFC's ago

Karo, who is/was in line for a title fight got 4 and 4...

100k is huge now? your numbers are off

"67 events later a lot of the losers barely 2K if they are lucky lol."

whaaat, 1g to lose nowadays, surely that cant be true!

I would love to see some proof on the old PPV numbers, just because they were not even on all of the different cable companies for the longest time. If they sold 250,000 back in the day how were they in financial trouble ? those are huge #'s

Still compare that to todays fighting and it shows the lack of growth in fighters purses.

today's crazyness has nothing to do with Royce in the early days. 50,000 for beating 3-4 guys who are allowed to headbutt, knee, elbow, strike to your groin, pull your hair, isn't that crazy at all. He freaking earned it.

Shit, I did the same thing and won $1000.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY OTHER $49,000!?!?!?!1111

The old UFC reached it's highest PPV numbers with UFC 9, which if I remember correctly sold around 300,000. It's been downhill afterwards, partly due to the lousy main event, partly because of the increasing legal efforts to ban the event altogether.

"3-4 guys who are allowed to headbutt, knee, elbow, strike to your groin, pull your hair, isn't that crazy at all."

Add to this mix that there were no weight classes.