EBI 11 Combat Jiu-Jitsu

SeanReed -
Megallica -
SeanReed - There is no need for the bitch slap, all we need to do is change the rules. We can keep sport BJJ for those who love it, but if we want to create a grappling art more inline with self defense, here are some recommendations:

First, give 3 points for a takedown, penalize one point for pulling guard/butt scooting.

Second, give points for knee on belly.

Third, give more points for taking the back.

You just described a point system. There is no need for points, EBI is sub only with in ten minutes. I believe Eddie is trying to make bjj to mma transition easier while trying to make it more exciting as well. Plus i think palm strikes are awesome and should be used more in mma, to me its a smarter way to hit without breaking your hand. Like Bas said while GnPing u have more space to hit with the palm strike than the fist which should generate more power. All in all i think EBI is doing an awesome job for bjj and hopefully for mma.

Eddie also advocates pulling guard.

What he advocates is to pull guard if you can't strike with the person or take them down. Then a great option would be to pull guard and see if you can finish the fight that way.

Megallica -
SeanReed -
Megallica -
SeanReed - There is no need for the bitch slap, all we need to do is change the rules. We can keep sport BJJ for those who love it, but if we want to create a grappling art more inline with self defense, here are some recommendations:

First, give 3 points for a takedown, penalize one point for pulling guard/butt scooting.

You just described a point system. There is no need for points, EBI is sub only with in ten minutes. I believe Eddie is trying to make bjj to mma transition easier while trying to make it more exciting as well. Plus i think palm strikes are awesome and should be used more in mma, to me its a smarter way to hit without breaking your hand. Like Bas said while GnPing u have more space to hit with the palm strike than the fist which should generate more power. All in all i think EBI is doing an awesome job for bjj and hopefully for mma.

What he advocates is to pull guard if you can't strike with the person or take them down. Then a great option would be to pull guard and see if you can finish the fight that way.

Pulling guard will get you killed in a street fight. I wrote a piece explaning why. 

We all have practiced butt scooting and getting back to the feet, but that is a survival technique, not a goal if you want to win the fight. In class we just lightly kick the downed opponent and let them get back to the feet. If you believe that it will be that easy, you are mistaken.

Eddie has great BJJ, but that is only 25% of fighting. Do not go to him for standing self defense.

Even if pulling guard was a good idea, you need to first get into the clinch to propery secure the guard pull and that means you have to train in wrestling.

If you train in wrestling then you will be able to get a real takedown, where your are on top or side guard. Then, you can finish quickly.

You also need some basic boxing to enable you to get the clinch.

SeanReed -
Megallica -
SeanReed -
Megallica -

Pulling guard will get you killed in a street fight. I wrote a piece explaning why. 

We all have practiced butt scooting and getting back to the feet, but that is a survival technique, not a goal if you want to win the fight. In class we just lightly kick the downed opponent and let them get back to the feet. If you believe that it will be that easy, you are mistaken.

Eddie has great BJJ, but that is only 25% of fighting. Do not go to him for standing self defense.

Even if pulling guard was a good idea, you need to first get into the clinch to propery secure the guard pull and that means you have to train in wrestling.

If you train in wrestling then you will be able to get a real takedown, where your are on top or side guard. Then, you can finish quickly.

You also need some basic boxing to enable you to get the clinch.

I think we are talking apples to oranges here. Street fighting is completly different from MMA and BJJ tournaments. Now in MMA i believe that you can't take everybody down to implement your game, which as an option you can pull guard, imanari roll. jump to back...etc

Of course none of those techniques would be ideal in a street fight nor would panteras somersault kicks but in MMA they can work.

Also pulling guard should not be needed since most street fighters tend to throw haymakers and should be fairly easy to take down anyways. But street fights have many variables like weapons, friends or whatever since there are no rules or sanctions.