Ed Snowden just made a pretty cool app!

I get that some people might not trust him, while others would let him babysit their 1st newborn for a week. Please leave that discussion to another thread if you don't mind. I appreciate it. 

With that said, here's what I got from reading the article. It's Android only, and it's in beta. It only uses the hardware in your phone and saves everything to your phone. It's a security app. You can just leave your phone wherever you want, and if the app is running, it will detect any sound, movement, etc and record what it sees and hears. It saves everything locally to your phone, tablet or Chromebook. No internet needed.

I might be missing some details, so I'll post the link and the article in the following post. 

TFK_Vulva Fabulous -

I get that some people might not trust him, while others would let him babysit their 1st newborn for a week. Please leave that discussion to another thread if you don't mind. I appreciate it. 

With that said, here's what I got from reading the article. It's Android only, and it's in beta. It only uses the hardware in your phone and saves everything to your phone. It's a security app. You can just leave your phone wherever you want, and if the app is running, it will detect any sound, movement, etc and record what it sees and hears. It saves everything locally to your phone, tablet or Chromebook. No internet needed.

I might be missing some details, so I'll post the link and the article in the following post. 

Laziest nsa agent ever.

Now there's a guy who owes Putin a few favors

Would that not easy up your storage with a quickness? 

Does sound promising though.

Lol what?

It’s made for Android (fail) 

this is the supidest concept I’ve ever heard of.

Sorry, I was trying to copy the entire article and post it with the link all in one post. Instead, I'll post the full article in the next post and post the link right here:

https://www.neowin.net/news/paranoid-about-security-edward-snowdens-android-app-haven-can-help

In

It sounds more like a spying app than a security app.  Ironic coming from Snowden, no?

TryhardNobody - 

I never understood ppl who go out of their way to try and control what other ppl post in a thread they make. Also your OP stinks lol. Maybe put some work into that train wreck before telling ppl what they can type

You don't talk to VFab that way! I'll kick you right in the dick!

Haka Jawaka -

It sounds more like a spying app than a security app.  Ironic coming from Snowden, no?

Agreed.

I wonder if it's open source, or if we're just supposed to trust that it doesn't send the information anywhere

Edward Snowden's Android app Haven can help

By John Keefer @@keefinator · Dec 22, 2017

If you have ever had the feeling you are being watched or followed, or could swear that someone was in your home or used your devices while you were away, NSA leaker Edward Snowden has helped launch an Android-only app in beta that turns your electronics into instant monitoring tools.

Haven, a joint open-source project between The Guardian Project and Snowden's Freedom of the Press Foundation, has launched on the Google Play Store and turns the hardware of your smartphone or computer into a security center. The app page explains in detail what it does:

Haven only saves images and sound when triggered by motion or volume, and stores everything locally on the device. You can position the device’s camera to capture visible motion, or set your phone somewhere discreet to just listen for noises. Get secure notifications of intrusion events instantly and access the logs remotely or anytime later.

The follow sensors are monitored for a measurable change, and then recorded to an event log on the device:

* Accelerometer: phone’s motion and vibration
* Camera: motion in the phone’s visible surroundings from front or back camera
* Microphone: noises in the enviroment [sic]
* Light: change in light from ambient light sensor
* Power: detect device being unplugged or power loss

"Imagine if you had a guard dog you could take with you to any hotel room and leave it in your room when you’re not there. And it’s actually smart, and it witnesses everything that happens and creates a record of it," Snowden told Wired in an encrypted phone call from his home-in-exile Moscow. "The real idea is to establish that the physical spaces around you can be trusted."

The app became the brainchild of Micah Lee, a foundation board member, and Snowden earlier this year. The two used foundation developers in partnership with nonprofit security group Guardian Project to build the app, with the goal of protecting your electronics and belongings while you are out and about.

"We thought, is there a way we can use a smartphone as a security device," The Guardian Project director Nathan Freitas told Wired. "Take all the surveillance technologies in smartphones and flip them on their head, to keep watch on all the things you care about when you’re not there?"

While the idea of turning your devices into security monitors is not new, Haven definitely seems to be much more full-featured. While the app is more designed for the type of people that use burner phones, it can be put on your personal phone if you tend to leave it around the house - or hotel room - when you are out.

"We designed Haven for investigative journalists, human rights defenders, and people at risk of forced disappearance to create a new kind of herd immunity," the app page says. "By combining the array of sensors found in any smartphone, with the world’s most secure communications technologies, like Signal and Tor, Haven prevents the worst kind of people from silencing citizens without getting caught in the act."

If you don't fall into any of those clandestine categories, you can still have a little fun with it on a spouse you don't trust, or to keep an eye on your mischievous kids or co-workers.

Source: Wired

Alot of phones already do this.

When i just got rid of my note 5 and got a LG v30, i was going through the phone and i found a folder. They were labeled as "voicemails" "messages" "notes" etc. Upon further inspection, i realized they were all recordings. There were hundreds, if not more, files and they all had recordings that ranged from an hour to 6 hours of random recordings. They all sounded like my phone was in my pocket just recording everything. Literally hundreds or thousands of hours of recordings that I had no knowledge about. Fucking weird and i dont like it. Its common too apparently. I was so freaked out i googled it and sure enough, it was a big thing recently.

I'm sorry that took so long. I'm testing out the new Android App, so I'm trying to see if there's any bugs or glitches. Plus, I'm trying to learn certain things along the way. Regardless, I took way too long to post the source and the article, and that's 100% completely my fault.

With that out of the way, time to go back and read all the the posts to see how much shit I caught for taking so long. 

imagine leaving your phone in your hotel room and it can record everything.

then imagine the person in your room is a theif

lastly, imagine you phone, left in the room, walking out the door in the theifs pocket.

TryhardNobody - 
Stupidnewbie -
TryhardNobody - 

I never understood ppl who go out of their way to try and control what other ppl post in a thread they make. Also your OP stinks lol. Maybe put some work into that train wreck before telling ppl what they can type

You have crossed the boundary of acceptable discourse. Please save your pathetic retorts for an appropriate venue

Also I'm going to rig your cop car so when you hit the lights and sirens, youre flashing pink lights and blasting "it's rainiing men"

The joke's on you; my partners already rigged it like that! HA!

Bam57Bam -

Would that not easy up your storage with a quickness? 

Does sound promising though.

I would imagine that you can simply delete the files that aren't important when you come home. Plus, if nobody is home and you don't have any pets running around your house or apartment, you might not have anything recorded besides the occasional UPS or FedEx delivery.

Don't forget, it only records something when the mic or camera picks up sound and/or movement. I like that it only uses the hardware from the phone. It's driven entirely by the software in the app. 

I might be wrong, but the way I'm understanding it is that if you are using a phone for this, the screen will be off, it can be in airplane mode because it just records any sound or movements. It doesn't broadcast it to your computer, tablet or other phone.

I don't think that it's trying to break into the home security monitoring market, it's more like an app that keeps a record of anything unusual that might happen in the house.  Or another example you can use could be if you have kids and tell them that nobody is allowed in the house after school until you get home.

I think there's quite a few uses for this app. 

TryhardNobody -

You complete me. 

Chump don't start no shit, thereven won't be no shit. Jive ass mutha fucka anyhow....sheeeeiiiiit.

DomenicVelluso -

It’s made for Android (fail) 

this is the supidest concept I’ve ever heard of.

If this is the stupidest idea for an app that you ever heard of, then you only started hearing about apps. 

And what's wrong with it being on Android? Do you need your hands held when using a smartphone? Check out the Jitterbug. They have a smartphone, you might like it :) 

Stupidnewbie -
TryhardNobody - 

I heart you. Hope all is well brother!