Ed Soares makes case for Machida vs Jones

Lyoto Machida's Manager Makes The Case for Machida Vs. Jon Jones

August 4, 2012; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Lyoto Machida during UFC on FOX at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-US PRESSWIRE

With the rumors swirling that Dan Henderson may be forced from his title bout against UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the UFC might have to find a replacement. The unfortunate timing of Hendo's knee injury leaves them with less than 10 days to find a suitable replacement. There is some hope, however, as only 3 weeks ago a new 205 lb. contender was announced.

At the UFC On Fox 4 press conference, UFC president Dana White seemingly made good on his Light Heavyweight title contender promise. White confirmed that Lyoto Machida, with his second round knock out of Ryan Bader, earned his second chance to reclaim the 205 lb. championship. In the meantime, current champion Jon Jones has voiced his dissatisfaction on Dana's selection.

Last night on UFC Tonight, Ariel Helwani relayed the response from Machida's manager Ed Soares:

Since Jon Jones has become a "PPV expert" he should know that international pay per views usually draw less than 30% than domestic pay per views. Lyoto Machida is coming off a huge win over Ryan Bader on UFC On Fox 4 earlier this month and a lot of people are interested in seeing whether or not Lyoto Machida can figure out Jon Jones. Lyoto Machida isn't the kind of trash talker that Jon Jones is used to. Guys like Rashad Evans, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson - those guys have maybe elevated the numbers.

Lyoto Machida is a very respectful fighter. He has fought everyone that the UFC has asked him to fight. That's why he expects Jon Jones, if he beats Dan Henderson on September 1st, to fight Lyoto Machida again.

If Henderson is actually forced from the fight at UFC 151, Jones's doubts about Machida's ability to draw PPV buys are inconsequential. As it stands now, there is no other fighter in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division more qualified to fight Jon Jones on short notice than Lyoto Machida. Additionally, despite the early second round finish, Machida is one of very few to give Jones problems in the cage.

It remains to be seen whether or not Machida would even be willing to face Jones on 10 days notice, but he definitely wants a rematch with Jones and his camp has made their case that he deserves one.

Meh.

Ed Soares- "...Since Jon Jones has become a "PPV expert" he should know..."------LMAO, could it be any more OBVIOUS that Soares is completely butthurt by the embarrassing destruction JBJ layed on Machida ? Don'think so

I'd pay to fly Ed and Rousey to Gilligan's Island.

SKARHEAD - Ed Soares- "...Since Jon Jones has become a "PPV expert" he should know..."------LMAO, could it be any more OBVIOUS that Soares is completely butthurt by the embarrassing destruction JBJ layed on Machida ? Don'think so

It's pretty obvious that he is just taking a shot at Jones for his recent comments about fighting for money, and not wanting to fight Machida again because it was his 'lowest drawing PPV fight'.

Jones is comical in saying this because it was only 5K less buys...it was just an excuse from Jones.

5K buys is nothing.

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
SKARHEAD - Ed Soares- "...Since Jon Jones has become a "PPV expert" he should know..."------LMAO, could it be any more OBVIOUS that Soares is completely butthurt by the embarrassing destruction JBJ layed on Machida ? Don'think so

It's pretty obvious that he is just taking a shot at Jones for his recent comments about fighting for money, and not wanting to fight Machida again because it was his 'lowest drawing PPV fight'.

Jones is comical in saying this because it was only 5K less buys...it was just an excuse from Jones.

5K buys is nothing.

Agreed. Also it was in the middle of December no? Plenty of people had other things to do like gearing up for the holidays, winter vacation, finals (the demographic 18-24, I know I certainly didn't buy the PPV because I was studying that weekend), etc...

UGCTT_LnPninja - 

5K buys is nothing.

No...he's butthurt he left Machida drooling on the floor w/ a giant oozing vagina on his forehead.

Yeah...excuses...JBJ needs so many of them after the Machida fight...He must recoil in absolute fear at the very thought of it.

lol

^^^^^ Thank you SKARHEAD. I will now just send you PMs when I need to know what people are thinking and why they say things...

lmfao @ your delusion.

UGCTT_LnPninja -  ^^^^^ Thank you SKARHEAD. I will now just send you PMs when I need to know what people are thinking and why they say things...

lmfao @ your delusion.

Nothing delusional about what he said.

Anderson is comparing an unknown Weidman who would likely pull 300K buys or less, to GSP who would break all records ever.

Jones is trying to say Machida is his lowest draw, which is correct by 5K buys...lmfao.

If you cannot see the difference between 700-1MILLLION PPV buys, and 5K there is no help for you.

I do agree that Ed should keep his mouth shut more though :)

If I was machida I wouldn't take the fight on 10 days notice, I won't end well for the dragon. He needs time to get in awesome shape and seriously study jones. Phone Post

jones needs to look a little closer at the numbers. maybe he is not the great draw he thinks he is. machida did over 500,000+ in both his events with shogun, with the second being estimated between 520,000 and 680,000. jones could not crack 500,000 with shogun.

rashad does a million with rampage. jones can only do 520 with rampage, similar to the 500,000 machida got with rampage. and remember, these are just estimates. 500,000 and 520,000 might as well be the same number. rashad rampage does 1mil, jones can only get 700,000 with him. estimates have ufc 98 w/ machida evans at 635,000 with 1/10th the hype and promo that jones vs evans received.

machida being a poor ppv draw is a myth.....

ufc98newb - jones needs to look a little closer at the numbers. maybe he is not the great draw he thinks he is. machida did over 500,000+ in both his events with shogun, with the second being estimated between 520,000 and 680,000. jones could not crack 500,000 with shogun.

rashad does a million with rampage. jones can only do 520 with rampage, similar to the 500,000 machida got with rampage. and remember, these are just estimates. 500,000 and 520,000 might as well be the same number. rashad rampage does 1mil, jones can only get 700,000 with him. estimates have ufc 98 w/ machida evans at 635,000 with 1/10th the hype and promo that jones vs evans received.

machida being a poor ppv draw is a myth.....

BOOM goes the dynamite

LMAO @ people comparing that to what Weidman/Andy vs Andy/GSP would do.

SKARHEAD - Ed Soares- "...Since Jon Jones has become a "PPV expert" he should know..."------LMAO, could it be any more OBVIOUS that Soares is completely butthurt by the embarrassing destruction JBJ layed on Machida ? Don'think so

Dumb as fuck. Dumb fuck. Phone Post