Eddie Alvarez contract compared to NFL

Thacommish - 
potato623 - 
Thacommish - 
potato623 - 
Thacommish - oh you mean on the japanese scene they need to make their names, like kawajiri did before signing with the ufc, whatd he make 8k to show and get beat by guida? oh.

Kawajiri didn't make 8/8 haha

You're crazy if you think he'd sign for that kind of cash with ONE FC, Bellator, and other Japanese promotions

What did he sign on for then?

And again you laugh at my example, but your examples never even fought there...

I don't know what he signed for, I assume it's in the ballpark of what Takanori Gomi got.

Examples not fighting here? What does that have to do with anything?

The UFC was in negotiations with Bibiano Fernandez and Shinya Aoki. Both turned down UFC contracts in favor of ONE FC.

I'm using these guys as examples of fighters who have built their name outside the UFC, thus make their entry level contract not the standard.

In my opinion, guys signing for 8/8 entry deals would be better off building their name outside the UFC.

So he didnt make 8/8, But you dont know what he made? you just know im wrong?

Yes, you're wrong if you think Kawakiri made 8/8

armbarheelhook - 

Russel Wilson only has to pay his agent and the tax man aswell.. Eddie Alvarez has to pay his agent, manager, gym fees ( Wilson gets free training paid for by the team owner), and the tax man...

Has Alvarez actually made any PPV bonus % monies? I don't even think he will... And Alvarez is not a "rookie MMA contract". He is a former Bellator Champion type pay scale. Phone Post

Never compared their contracts, simply listed how an NFL contract is detailed and how Alvarez's is listed by the media.

You could use any NFL contract, MLB, NHL, NBA. And player, any sport.

Just listed how a UFC contract would look if listed similary

Thacommish - "Examples not fighting here? What does that have to do with anything?"

Oh i dont know considering were having a discussion on what is a normal entry contract for a UFC fighter, maybe finding some examples of those kinds of contracts might be valuable to a conversation of this type. Its getting really hard to not call you retarded at every turn of this conversation now though.

The conversations not about entry level deals, it's what you decided to turn it into. I listed Alvarez's UFC contract, and how it would be listed if it were reported as an NFL contract.

I also pointed out how fighters like Alvarez can gain the ability to above the norm in terms of entry level deals

Haha that above came across as dumb, I mean I responded to your claims with points about how Alvarez earned above the standard in terms of an Entry Level Deal

Guys signing at 8/8 sell themselves short. There's plenty of ways to sign with the UFC and earn above the norm. Many have done it.

Some fighters just either seem inpatient, unsure of their abilities, or simply think they can prove themselves.

I got no issue with anybody who signs at 8/8, GSP started at 3/3, there's a starting point for everyone.

I just think fighters can use the market to their advantage and don't do it enough.

The league minimum in the NFL for a rookie is 420k. Moving up to 435k in 2015.

A UFC rookie is almost always given a 8/8 contract. That person is not guaranteed 3 fights a year like many people here believe. They could fight once a year and lose. And then get cut at the UFC's whim. Basically the only money most people signing their debut 4 fight contract can expect is 8k.

If they want to fly a second corner to their fight that will be deducted from the 8k. UFC also doesn't cover a fighters Medicals necessary to compete. So if the fighter needs a nuro scan/ bloodwork/ eye exam/ physical you name it... It's coming out of pocket before he receives a dime. He has to pay to play. If a fighter absolutely can not cover it.. The UFC will pay and then deduct from the 8k.

There is no comparison between a NFL rookie and a UFC rookie. Phone Post 3.0

Another point that you are missing is that you are naming the exception to the rule. You know about Eddie's contract numbers or Gill's numbers BECAUSE they are the exception to the rule. The rule is until you are at the pinnacle of your division you get paid squat. In the NFL and MLB the players receive a % of the overall revenue. It is, if my memory serves me, around 48%. The Rookie contract MINIMUM is 420K per year. That is the kind of money is only for the top 10% of fighters in the UFC.

You can't say that the UFC is or isn't a monopoly based on one or two outliers. Also, I don't think it is against the law to just be a monopoly (which I think the UFC is), but you also have to use your monopolistic influence in ways that is anti-competitive ways. I love Dana White, but I'm positive that his mouth is going to get the UFC is a shit ton of trouble.

In Phone Post 3.0

PrettyBoy - The league minimum in the NFL for a rookie is 420k. Moving up to 435k in 2015.

A UFC rookie is almost always given a 8/8 contract. That person is not guaranteed 3 fights a year like many people here believe. They could fight once a year and lose. And then get cut at the UFC's whim. Basically the only money most people signing their debut 4 fight contract can expect is 8k.

If they want to fly a second corner to their fight that will be deducted from the 8k. UFC also doesn't cover a fighters Medicals necessary to compete. So if the fighter needs a nuro scan/ bloodwork/ eye exam/ physical you name it... It's coming out of pocket before he receives a dime. He has to pay to play. If a fighter absolutely can not cover it.. The UFC will pay and then deduct from the 8k.

There is no comparison between a NFL rookie and a UFC rookie. Phone Post 3.0
This! most guys lose money fighting for the hopes and chance to make more one day. I bet you don't like to work without getting paid. If you lose you go back to the regional circuit which RFA just released its payout for their last card and the top paid fighter got 1,5k to fight and 1,5k to win. Phone Post 3.0

priziesthorse - Jay Cutler is making $22.5 million this year, more than Wilson, Luck, Rodgers, Newton, Sanchez combined.

That's just shit management on the Bears part.  But this actually kind of makes me wonder if the way the teams financially recoup themselves for the prices they pay on those players, may just be something that the new Reebok deal will help.  Seeing as the fighters recoup 20% of the sales of their personal gear, and then UFC also gets a cut, it may see the UFC really pushing fighter merchandise.  And I think smarter/more artistic fighters will reap well from this.  Uncle Creepy for instance could make some very bad ass signature shorts.

Let's use an example of a guy comparable to Alvarez in Joachim Hansen. He was offered 10/10 by Zuffa back when he was one of the best LWs in the world (the Dream champion), with wins over: Gomi, Aoki, Yves, JZ and Uno.

If anybody still thinks Fedor was offered $36M for 6 fights by Zuffa, but signed with Affliction and Strikeforce for $2M, they're fucking nuts. 

Eddie Alvarez was a pissing contest. Same like when the UFC took on the bloated Pride contracts.

Alvarez's contract was high because the UFC not only considered the revenue he would bring them, but the revenue that would be taken from Bellator by them losing a draw like Alvarez. Ufc really wants to damage Bellator so stealing one of their stars has value. This is what competition does for athlete contracts and why ufc has bought out other organizations and closed them down and why this lawsuit will be interesting... Phone Post 3.0

potato623 - In pretty much any American sport, you'll see contracts broken down in years/#'s, but you never really get to see the UFC's contracts broken down in this way.

Through the lawsuit between Eddie Alvarez and Bellator, we finally got to see a UFC deal broken down.

Alvarez's contract was a 40 month (3.3 years) deal worth $1.72 million with $850,000 guaranteed (if he's not cut)

This is not counting Alvarez's PPV bonus nor his POTN Bonus opportunities (which would bring possible earnings to $2.12 million.)

Contract Breakdown:
Fight 1: $75,000 show/$75,000 win

If Alvarez wins, his pay is increased by $5,000/$5,000 all the way until 105,000 (7 wins.)

Alvarez's PPV bonuses look as such: Believed to be Title Fights only

200,000-400,000=$1
400,000-600,000=$2
600,000+=$2.50

The contract is about on par with an NFL Rookie contract. Compared to Russell Wilson for instance.

Wilson is signed to a mandatory rookie 4 year $2.99 million contract.

Wilson signed a $650,000 signing bonus (Alvarez's was 250k) and will make an average of $750,000 for the next 4 years.

If Alvarez were too win 3 straight fights, a bonus in at least 2 fights (very possible) and be part of a 400,000 selling PPV, he would make more money than Russell Wilson in one year.

I think with this breakdown, they'll have a tough time calling the UFC a Monopoly. I think Alvarez and Melendez's contracts will be a big factor in this lawsuit.

Russell Wilson is obviously a favorable comparison, he's not even the highest paid QB on his team, but it's kind of crazy how the Super Bowl winning QB could make less than the 11th rated (which is BS) Lightweight in the UFC.

Wilson's getting straight robbed, no wonder he's in so many commercials

It's not about cherry picking favorable comparisons it's about the average contract...

potato623 -
Thacommish - Im confused, are you really asking me to explain to you the difference between MOST peoples entry contracts into the UFC and eddie alvarez? like you think this is some "got ya" moment?

"got ha moment?"

It's a discussion

And I'm glad you brought this up

"MOST peoples entry contracts into the UFC"

Why are these other guys entry contract different than Alvarez's?
Cat zingano will be fighting for a world championship.

She will also get paid 8k to show and 8k to win. You need to have a seat and shut the fuck up. Phone Post 3.0