Edgar: I'm hoping to take him in deep water

Two fighters saying their whole plan is to tire the other out. Boy I am pumped for this one. Can't they at least lie and give the standard "I'm looking for a knockout or a submission" line? I've never been this apathetic about a title fight. Phone Post

JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Chris Leben driving his truck home from the bar has a better chance of hitting something than these two on Saturday. It will be 25 minutes of grappling. Not knocking grappling but let me know when NAGA or ADCC starts putting on PPV events and selling out arenas. I like both guys but at least say you will TRY and finish him if given a chance before simply declaring it's deep water time and the goal is for a calculator to decide matters. Phone Post
Not sure if you've ever seen Edgar fight....quite a bit of hitting goes on...

I really like Frankie but this will NOT by any means be a slugfest. If I make the trek to the local Hooters for some horrible wings,watered down beer and skanks I will do so for the Vera, Leben, Diaz and Gomi fights. Those may be exciting but the main event will look like a college wrestling tourney. They might as well were singlets!

Those may be exciting but the main event will look like a college wrestling tourney. They might as well were singlets!

Do you have any idea how many minutes have been spent on the ground in all of both guys' fights for the past two years combined?

jjj2121 -  Nothing gets me fired up for a fight like 2 guys talking about winning a decision.

lol. no doubt.

I honestly wonder if thats what edgar thinks fans want to see. seriously, even if you are planning on a decision, why would you anti-hype the fight with this kind of press? at least give the old "I'm looking to finish" standby.

jesus.

So he's only going to lose 3rnds to 2nds to Maynard.

Shanks V3.1 - 
jjj2121 -  Nothing gets me fired up for a fight like 2 guys talking about winning a decision.

lol. no doubt.

I honestly wonder if thats what edgar thinks fans want to see. seriously, even if you are planning on a decision, why would you anti-hype the fight with this kind of press? at least give the old "I'm looking to finish" standby.

jesus.

Maybe because everytime a fighter does that, and fails to finish like they promised, everyone gets on their case for not living up to expectations and not giving the fans the finish they wanted. its a no win situation. 

I'm pretty sure many, many fighters routinely talk about taking their opponents -- particularly undefeated ones -- into "deep water".

orcus = Edgar in disguise?

GriffinQ = Maynard incognito?

Pretty sure everyone sees through this facade guys.

These fighters did not just magically get the negative connotations associated with them. They earned them the good ol' fashioned way. By putting fans to sleep with their matches.

These fighters did not just magically get the negative connotations associated with them.

Apparently magic WAS involved, since many of you keep parroting "lay and pray" about two guys who have about 5 minutes of ground work between them in the last two years and what, 12 fights?

it can be done

i like having these guys as the main event.

i can leave the bar early and get home before the old lady passes out and lay on top of her for 5 5min rounds.

I miss the days where a guy could say something like that and it be viewed as a smart gameplan instead of people bitching about having to sit through 5 rounds of fighting. Are Penn/Hughes 3 type fights really worth more of your guys's money? gtfo

if your so into cardio battles then watch the tour de France. im sorry that i like to see people fight with effective offense.

Buck 65 - I miss the days where a guy could say something like that and it be viewed as a smart gameplan instead of people bitching about having to sit through 5 rounds of fighting. Are Penn/Hughes 3 type fights really worth more of your guys's money? gtfo

All three of Penn/ Hughes fights reminds us what fighting is about: to utterly and without any dispute, conquer your opponent.

People like Edgar (and Fitch and Maynard and GSP) turn fighting into something objective and make fights boring. They take the "fight" out of fighting. Hell, we can't even trust the damn judges these days.

I prefer fighters over athletes.

On paper it should be the mother of all snooze fests, but sometimes reality just goes 180 on it all.

I get a feeling their game plans will fail and someone gets finished (sic!).

What does he mean by deep water? If it is the length of the fight, Maynard should be totally fine, right?

Taking Maynard into deep water = putting us to sleep

Maybe by "deep water" he means that he hopes Maynard swims too far, gets a cramp, and drowns.

So, Maynard needs to make sure that he stretches properly and doesn't eat anything an hour before the fight. Phone Post