Edgar's trainer wanted to throw in the towel!

Check out the interview where Frankie talks about his coach wanting to throw in the towel against Maynard. He also updates everyone on his injury and gives his thoughts on superfights with Strikeforce. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMN0buSVgs&feature=player_embedded

Good thing they didn't throw the towel in otherwise the world would have been deprived of a sick fight....plus Frankie retained the strap. I like to hear that he's open to fighting Melendez. I think Frankie, Gray and Gilbert are all pretty much tied for the #1 LW spot, but I'd bet Melendez would actually beat Frankie.

If that was anything but a title fight, I would have thrown the towel for my fighter. Fighter safety is paramount.

After the heart the kid has shown it shocks me that someone would actually bet against frankie Phone Post

I dont know how you can dislike Frankie dude has heart Phone Post

Kbox - can't stand franky but he's got skillz

hope maynard takes his rightful title, just like shogun took his from machida

Rightful title? S'plain, Lucy.

well maynard kicked his ass in the first  title fight, its his rightful belt

ranier wolfcastle -  well maynard kicked his ass in the first  title fight, its his rightful belt

1 round doesn't make a fight though, he didn't finish him. Frankie won 3 of the next 4 rounds, arguably 4 of the next 4.

Kbox - hope maynard takes his rightful title, just like shogun took his from machida

So... you hope Maynard wins the title, sits out a year, then immediately loses the title?

That seems like a weird thing to hope for.

If there was a title of least hateable I'd give it to Edgar. Was rooting for BJ in both fights but also liked Edgar a lot too. Class act and excellent fighter.

Frankie is my favorite active fighter.

I call bullshit. It gets people talking that Frankie is tougher than ppl think. And hypes him up kore Phone Post

It is against unified rules to throw in a towel..Or so I believe..

^^ You are correct, and the penalty for throwing in the towel is disqualification of the fighter who's corner threw in the towel.

dcvillain - Frankie is my favorite active fighter.

He is very active, that's for sure.

paneo astima - this is old news, if you watch the UFC TV demo that uses the first round of this fight, you can hear the corner guy asking for the towel so he can throw it in

http://www.ufc.tv/ufc/liveplayer.jsp?id=demo

choose red corner audio

No kidding! Maynard had some footprints on his backside when all was said and done. Edgar had some pretty massive slams on a guy who doesn't get taken down. After R1, I gave it all to Edgar.

AWW CRAP! I was supposed to quote the guy who said Maynard was the true champ because "he kicked Frankie's ass"

likatiga - ^^ You are correct, and the penalty for throwing in the towel is disqualification of the fighter who's corner threw in the towel.

dcvillain - Frankie is my favorite active fighter.

He is very active, that's for sure.

LOL...sweet

technically does it really matter if the corner "throws in the towel"? the fight can only be stopped by the ref, doctor or fighter. So if his corner had thrown in the towel the ref would just ask Frankie if he wanted to continue and he could have said yes.

For all the ref knows somoene in the crowd threw it in, just pick it up and continue.