Educate Me: OJ Simpson's "Confession"

OG,

Just saw this online: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5488271/OJ-Simpson-confesses-murdering-Nicole-Brown-drug-orgies.html

I'm curious how OJ can make hypothetical confessions and detail the murder(s) so intimately without being prosecuted (I understand double-jeopardy)?  If you have the suspect intricately detailing and confessing how a crime's taken place, wouldn't that be grounds to lock him up? 

I'm just looking to understand how you can blatently confess to something like this with 0 repercussions.  Is it simply, 'cuz double jeopardy?

Cheers

He never confessed. He made hypothetical statements about how he would've done it. Nothing wrong with that. Plus he was already found innocent, so the case is done.

It's over. 

BrowBeaten -

He never confessed. He made hypothetical statements about how he would've done it. Nothing wrong with that. Plus he was already found innocent, so the case is done.

It's over. 

And why would a human being write such a thing? Because he did it.

BrowBeaten -

It's over. 

No one is found innocent, because you are innocent until proven Guilty.

MarcusAurelioFan -
BrowBeaten -

It's over. 

Yeah he did it. Doesn't matter, he was found innocent, can't be charged again.

MarcusAurelioFan -
BrowBeaten -

It's over. 

Well no shit. My point is that it's over. Nothing can be done. 

Gorilla_keylock -
BrowBeaten -

It's over. 

No one is found innocent, because you are innocent until proven Guilty.

"Not guilty"

I'm sorry. Thanks for correcting me. Jesus... 

EggOfGreed -

OG,

Just saw this online: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5488271/OJ-Simpson-confesses-murdering-Nicole-Brown-drug-orgies.html

I'm curious how OJ can make hypothetical confessions and detail the murder(s) so intimately without being prosecuted (I understand double-jeopardy)?  If you have the suspect intricately detailing and confessing how a crime's taken place, wouldn't that be grounds to lock him up? 

I'm just looking to understand how you can blatently confess to something like this with 0 repercussions.  Is it simply, 'cuz double jeopardy?

Cheers

If you understood double jeopardy as you said you do, you wouldn’t have to ask this question. If he straight up said he killed her tomorrow, he still could not be locked up for it. 

scrapdo -
EggOfGreed -

OG,

Cheers

If you understood double jeopardy as you said you do, you wouldn’t have to ask this question. If he straight up said he killed her tomorrow, he still could not be locked up for it. 

This.

You can't be tried for a crime, found Innocent/Not Guilty, then walk out saying "I fucking did it! I murdered them bitches" and nothing happens to you.

Al Cappucino -
scrapdo -
EggOfGreed -

OG,

Cheers

This.

You can't be tried for a crime, found Innocent/Not Guilty, then walk out saying "I fucking did it! I murdered them bitches" and nothing happens to you.

Hey Al,

Did you mean to say "can" be tried etc.?  Otherwise, I think you're statement conflicts with scrapdo.

Additionally, I understood the concept of double-jeopardy, it just boggles my mind that someone can be found innocent and then turn around to talk about how they'd have done it or make statements implying guilt only to have nothing done.

Is this just a US thing or Canada too?  (I'm a Canuck)

i read the book

if i did it

he said he doesnt remember what happened during the attack

i highly doubt he ever confessed, not even to his lawyers

Charlie did that shit

I made a thread a few hours ago that sunk in to oblivion. He starts off with hypothetical statements, then slips in to first person and pretty much described the murder.

Hypothetically of course.

BrowBeaten -

It's over. 

He wasn't found innocent. He was found not guilty. That mostly had to do with the fact that his lawyers were able to confuse jurors about DNA and what it all meant. That was in the early days of DNA testing. The jurors even admitted they didn't understand the DNA evidence.

But yes it is over. Everyone with any common sense knows he did it. 

EggOfGreed -
Al Cappucino -
scrapdo -
EggOfGreed -

OG,

Cheers

This.

Hey Al,

Did you mean to say "can" be tried etc.?  Otherwise, I think you're statement conflicts with scrapdo.

Additionally, I understood the concept of double-jeopardy, it just boggles my mind that someone can be found innocent and then turn around to talk about how they'd have done it or make statements implying guilt only to have nothing done.

Ok. It may boggle your mind but that’s the law here. I don’t know anything about laws in Canada but your initial question has already been answered. OJ could go on the today show tomorrow and say, “yes, I killed the bitch, deal with it” and he Still could never go to jail for the crime. The main reason is that otherwise you’d give  prosecutors the ability to retry someone every time they convince someone to say you confessed or any other new evidence comes to light. 

scrapdo - 
EggOfGreed -
Al Cappucino -
scrapdo -
EggOfGreed -

OG,

Cheers

This.

Hey Al,

Ok. It may boggle your mind but that’s the law here. I don’t know anything about laws in Canada but your initial question has already been answered. OJ could go on the today show tomorrow and say, “yes, I killed the bitch, deal with it” and he Still could never go to jail for the crime. The main reason is that otherwise you’d give  prosecutors the ability to retry someone every time they convince someone to say you confessed or any other new evidence comes to light. 

I believe in Canada you can't be charged with the same charge but you can be charged with a different charge. Like 2nd degree murder instead of first. Which still holds a life in prison penalty.

Correct me if I'm wrong fellow Canuck OG lawyers ?

I wish he died in prison.  

You people don't know what double jeopardy is. It means you can't be found convicted of the same crime twice.

If some new evidence comes out that could change the case, he can be retried.

If he actually confessed to killing her, he would be retried.

https://im-01.gifer.com/IXk.gif