Edwards says no to Covington fight

9 Likes

Is there a nuclear option to stop all of this fucking bullshit NOW?

Fuck Leon, the poster child of sitting and waiting for a title shot now complains that Colby has done that? What was Leonā€™s excuse? At least Colby had some legal shit going on.

And wasnā€™t there word Colby had accepted some fights that didnā€™t happen? Thatā€™s the opposite of waiting.

And then this idiot will say with a straight face that he wants to fight Phoney Montana.

This entitlement era of UFC is the worst.

32 Likes

If not he then who else?

Personally Iā€™d like to see see Shavkat get the shot.

From Leonā€™s perspective Iā€™d have thought Colby would be an easier defense.

3 Likes

Tbf, CC doesnā€™t deserve an immediate title shot. Belal deserves it.

14 Likes
4 Likes

**When asked about Covington being a big-money fight, Edwards says he sees rival Jorge Masvidal as the more lucrative fight, and will have his eyes on his UFC 287 matchup with Gilbert Burns on April 8.

ā€œIf Masvidal beats Burns, thatā€™s the fight to make if youā€™re going pay-per-view wise,ā€ Edwards said. ā€œI just donā€™t see how Colby sits out for a year, not injured then just slides in for a title shot. I had to work 12 fights to get there. When I was trying to get my title shot, he was saying, ā€˜Who is he? I donā€™t know who he is,ā€™ and now Iā€™m the king.ā€

He continued, ā€œI just donā€™t like him (Masvidal) so I feel thatā€™s the one I need to get back. I feel like thereā€™s a storyline there to tell. If he gets the job done, Iā€™ll have a look. Iā€™ll consider it. If he begs me, I might let him slide in here.ā€**

2 Likes

Colby didnā€™t have shit going on, Masvidal is the one in legal trouble and he still has a fight booked.

Leon was supposed to fight Woodley but COVID ruined things and Burns got that fight instead.

He fought Belal but an eyepoke ruined the end to that fight.

Leon was supposed to fight Khamzat but again, COVID ruined that fight.

Meanwhile Colby has been sitting on his ass and ducking everyone in the top 5. Remember when you and the rest of his stans wanted him to fight a lightweight? Now you want him to fight for a title.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s adorable that he thinks he gets to make that decision.

19 Likes

Belal announced he was fighting Leon at UFC 286 a couple of months ago and Leon tweeted him to tell him he wasnā€™t getting a shot.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a great fight considering how their last one ended.

Shavkat is the only other title contender who can be trusted to make the weight.

1 Like

Colby may have been using fake brain damage to further out the screws to Jorge and u canā€™t do that if you are in the cage. Iā€™m speculating of course.

I like Leon fine, but should fight who he is told.

2 Likes

Pretty understandable that Leon wants Masvidal.

Itā€™s also laughable that he says Colby isnā€™t active enough or hasnā€™t done enough to earn a shot, and then says he wants Masvidal, who is on a 3 fight losing streak and been inactive as well.

12 Likes

Masvidal isnt going to beat Burns. This is all for naught unless he wants to angle for a Burns fight which is going to be less interest than a Colby fight.

11 Likes

ā€œIt doesnā€™t make senseā€ is the excuse heā€™s making knowing what the outcome would be. If he was confident that heā€™d win, heā€™d take it in a heartbeat.

The UFC says it makes sense because Colby is a draw, therefore it makes senseā€¦because they are the ones that say so

2 Likes

I am not sure if Chael suggested it, or just described it, but whatever the case, I am liking the idea of UFC announcing dates when a championship will be fought for. Of course, try to book the champ, and the top contender, but if theyā€™re not interested, move on down the list. Eventually there will be two guys willing and able to do business.

UFC makes whatever with a ā€œdrawā€, or ā€œstarā€, who will compete once every 18 months, vs a guy willing and able to every 4 months. Iā€™d think theyā€™d be better off making around as much annually with a guy who will compete 3-4 times a year, as they would with a guy who will compete twice every 3 years. Granted, they can do business with both types. The holding up the division stuff, though, highlights how much UFC is a spectacle more so than a sport.

3 Likes

Oh god. Is Leon gonna be the next Francis

10 Likes
2 Likes

I agree in principle but Edwards himself was out for over a year prior to his title shot. Plus his last fight was against Nate, who Masvidal smashed.

Seems like ducking.

4 Likes

Has he said that he will face anyone in the top 5? I feel like Iā€™ve read that he wonā€™t face Colby, wonā€™t rematch Usman, and wants to face Jorge coming off a loss who might be in top 10ā€¦ but has he said he will face anyone else, or is Jorge the hottest, highest ranked, opponent he is willing face? If that is the case, Iā€™d be tempted to strip him of the ā€œundisputedā€, schedule a fight between Colby and Belal, or Shavkat, for the interim, and wait for either Edwards, or whoever defeats Edwards, to be willing (or the end of Edwards contract and release him, whatever comes first) to compete to ā€œunifyā€ undisputed championship again.

ā€¦which is one of many reasons why I am not a promoter.

6 Likes

Nobodyā€™s asking him and itā€™s time UFC stopped asking its fighter who they want to fight against. Edwards really letting success get to his head. Could see it in recent press conferences.

3 Likes

Colby when he wins his second interim belt

3 Likes