effective government

This is what it looks like:

”South Korea’s economy is expected to decline by just 0.8% this year, the best among the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s forecasts for member nations.”

”In total, South Korea, with a population of 52 million, has reported 23,455 cases and 395 deaths”

https://apple.news/AXPpCSsH7TZ2hUtOf5qFJvA

1 Like

How did a country next door to the massive outbreak in China and with a super dense population accomplish this?  From the article:

“The nation fast-tracked approval of domestic testing kits as soon as cases began hitting. It tapped into its relative wealth and hyperconnectivity, blasting text alerts to citizens if infections occurred in their area. When the supply of face masks ran short early on in the crisis, the government seized production.

At twice-a-day briefings, health officials express worry when they can only trace the origins of three-quarters of confirmed cases. Virus experts stand at the podium of government briefings and frequently warn of looming catastrophe. Nearly everyone in the country wears masks. Every confirmed patient, even those with no or mild symptoms, gets isolated at hospitals or converted dormitories run by the government. Treatment is free.”

As a result, South Korea never had to mandate a lockdown, so restaurants and business were able to stay open, cushioning the blow to the economy.”

So...are we saying the way they handled it was better than hating China and downplaying it? I find that hard to believe. 

Good for them.

Homogeneity and a small population with a high-trust society makes things a lot easier.

It’s not as simple as saying the government is great. Has more to do with the people.

thedogofdogs - 

Good for them.

Also this. Good for them.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare absolute statistics from one country to another, necessarily. Each country faces unique challenges based on a myriad of factors.

ksacs revenge -

So...are we saying the way they handled it was better than hating China and downplaying it? I find that hard to believe. 

Dude.

I know that it might sound correct or witty to say that but there has been non stop fear mongering with this covid thing from the very start world wide. Even after they found out it wasn't as deadly as once suspected.  It's still going on now and it's going to continue.   That's what's really worrying to me. They're still going on about cases rather than deaths FFS.

That should be a immediate indicator. 

Remember how they had the world in fear of terrorists for years.  Keep people in fear of a invisible enemy and take away their freedoms seems to be the MO.

Having people freaking out and panicking is never a good thing in any situation ever. 

That's what we should be worrying about IMO.

Oh , that and the economic blowback that our kids will likely endure in years to come.

“never let a crisis go to waste”

-our useless politicians

Wow it’s almost like 50 million and 330 million aren’t the same number

The Adversary - Homogeneity and a small population with a high-trust society makes things a lot easier.

It’s not as simple as saying the government is great. Has more to do with the people.

Is it possible our government sucks because our people suck? Weird