Effexor.......Tell Me About It...

Briefly, after Katrina, I tried a few antidepressants, and Effexor was the only one that did anything positive. But on the other hand, it took an act of god almost, to actually have an orgasm while on the drug. No problems getting an erection, so no problems on the wife's side of things.

I took it for 6 months. The withdrawals weren't too bad. I busted my ass working out and dieting when I was on it and I couldnt shed a f'n pound. Lite, is correct regarding not being able to orgasm.

I've been on it for about three years. I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. It took me longer than most to ramp up (about 2-3 months), but it has had a profound impact on my life. Serotonin is your friend!

Can you elaborate on why you are scared shitless? All drugs have potential side effects. If she's been on it for 6 years, my guess would be that she doesn't suffer from them, or her doc would've changed meds.

I'm on effexor.

Takes forever for me to orgasm during sex.

"Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride) is a medication people utterly loathe to have taken. It is not uncommon for someone to fire doctors during or immediately after they quit taking Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride)." - Yup, you should definitely break up with her after reading such anecdotal 'evidence' such as this...

It can cause severe restlessness and agitation.

In my experience, and from the people I've talked to, it's not the first anti depressant given, so she's probably been on others that haven't worked. Probably.

A lot of people have great success with the drug.

If she's been on it 6 years she is probably suffering from repeat depressions. See if she's on lithium or Zyprea for mood stabilization - could be a possible sign of bi-polar disorder.

After taking other meds of the same ilk, Effexor has worked the best by far.

When my friend went off of it, she tapered the dosage down to nothing over a few weeks, but swore she was feeling the after effects for months. Dizziness and migranes mostly.

I stopped taking it for a month over this past Christmas break.

The only side effects was that I was a massive prick for about a month.

Bry Bry, I am a relatively smart, high-strung individual who has overanalyzed things all of my life. A few years ago I started to notice that it really was affecting my life, so I decided to talk to my doc about it. After a series of questions, he prescribed Effexor because I was exhibiting more anxiety than depression.

Once I got the dosage dialed in, it clearly helped my daily life. I feel like I have a filter that I didn't have before. I am able to compartmentalize stressful situations and not let them eat away at me. My work performance has gone through the roof (I'm in software sales, which can be very stressful), and my wife and friends all have noticed a world of difference in my ability to stay calm in the face of difficult situations. My focus has increased as well.

Just like any drug, it's not right for everyone, but in my case it's helped dramatically.

I took it for 5 months and was a raging bitch while I was on it.

While you were ON IT?

...................strange.  Any withdrawal symptoms?

Effexor inhibits Serotonin, Norepinephrine AND Dopamine reuptake... Thats a doozie of an antidepressant.

Ill use Cognitive therapy, thanks.

Dude, I quit taking Lexapro and Xanax (well... didn't quit taking it recreationally lol) because I couldn't stand the slow torture of not being able to orgasm. Some nights I just couldn't make it happen :(

While you were ON IT?

...................strange. Any withdrawal symptoms?

Yeah, while I was on it. I took it for anxiety attacks, and it worked, but I was really moody. I would get super pissed over the smallest things. No withdrawl symptoms, probably because I switched to Lexapro right afterwards. Another thing I hated about Effexor was, it lowered my libido quite a bit...

i took it for 2 years and will be the first to say how much it absolutely ruined me. i got so fat and depressed while on it it wasn't even funny. my depression was aweful before i got on it and it got 10x worse while on it. the withdrawals sucked. i was stuck at home, couldn't drive and was so dizzy i could barely eat. after the drug was out of my system i was prescribed serzone, which was 1000x better for me.

i think the moral of the story is that it just depends on the person, but in general if you're on something for a few months and it sucks tell your dr you want something different.