Eilers' killer found guilty

Jury: James Malec guilty of voluntary manslaughter

By Kristin Rodine - krodine@idahostatesman.com

Published: 09/03/09

After about eight hours of deliberation, a Canyon County jury found James Malec guilty of voluntary manslaughter in the Christmas-night death of his stepson, mixed martial arts fighter Justin Eilers.

The charge is lighter than the second-degree murder conviction sought by prosecutors, but stiffer than the acquittal urged by the defense, which said Malec acted in self-defense.

Malec shot Eilers once in the chest during a family gathering at the home Malec shared with his wife, Eilers' mother. Eilers, who was reportedly being loud, angry and disruptive, died at the scene.

I hope this brings a bit of relief to the Eilers family.

I wonder what the sentencing will be like

"Voluntary manslaughter is the killing of a human being in which the offender had no prior intent to kill and acted during "the heat of passion", under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_manslaughter

Thank you for posting the trial result.

Monsters Ball - Thanks promoter. Tragic story all around.

If he dies in prison it would be a fitting end. RIP innocent victim. 

Sagiv's MOD slave -  If he dies in prison it would be a fitting end. RIP innocent victime.

My God, you're an absolute retard. Do you even know what "voluntary manslaughter" entails? Eilers was a professional fighter with a history of violent outbursts. He was hardly the innocent victim of some random act of cruelty, such as a child getting abducted and murdered. Get some fucking perspective.

Have a glass of ginger ale. It will give you some 'perspective'.

And Eilers previously stated he wanted to fight his mom......

Sagiv's MOD slave -  Have a glass of ginger ale. It will give you some 'perspective'.

I just think it's stupid to put the Eilers' slaying in the same boat as the truly senseless horrors that are inflicted upon children, for example, every day.

Justin's death was the consequence of several factors, including his own actions. I know next to nothing about the man who fired the fatal shot, but somehow I doubt he was some closet psychopath who waited until old age to start killing. Otherwise "normal" people get involved in these kinds of tragedies every day, which only goes to show that humans can be driven to anything given the wrong situation.

We will never know what really happened in this case,and it is sad that 2(maybe more)lives were ruined because of that night.

J-LauFan1 - what will he probably be sentenced to?

Prob 20 years before parole,which is a life sentence for that man.

I wouldnt want to spend one year in prison.

I wouldnt want to spend one year w/a belligerent drunken Justin Eilers either.

imanari fan - 
Sagiv's MOD slave -  If he dies in prison it would be a fitting end. RIP innocent victime.

My God, you're an absolute retard. Do you even know what "voluntary manslaughter" entails? Eilers was a professional fighter with a history of violent outbursts. He was hardly the innocent victim of some random act of cruelty, such as a child getting abducted and murdered. Get some fucking perspective.

You could have left out the part where you called someone an absolute retard, but other than that you're spot on.

This is a case of a loud-mouth stepfather who hated his step son and found an almost perfect opportunity to get rid of him... and it almost worked.

Who wears a concealed, loaded gun at a family Christmas party in his own home? Once the argument's started, he went and put on his gun, then tried to provoke Justin by yelling at him while he and his ex-girlfriend were fighting.

If he could piss Justin off enough, maybe he would come at him and he could get away with shooting him... but although Justin mouthed off back to him, his own wife said Justin was backing up toward the door when the guy shot him.

A trained officer with 10 years experience of dealing with problems just lost it? Doubtful... he saw his chance headed to the door and he shot him. A trained marksman... shot to kill, hitting him in the chest. Not the leg or shoulder... he shot to kill him.

This is the end of a lengthy feud between the two... and Malec had told others over the years that he'd shoot Justin if he got out of hand.

I hope he gets what he deserves.

promoter - This is a case of a loud-mouth stepfather who hated his step son and found an almost perfect opportunity to get rid of him... and it almost worked.
I hope he gets what he deserves.

did you even go to high school???

Meaning what?

voluntary manslaughter?

BULLSHIT!

promoter - Meaning what?

meaning your post is the kind of overly emotional garbage one would expect in a sport where the majority of fans idolize white trash.