Elbow Hook

Elbow Hook

Hey all, had some requests from a friend on Facebook for a video of this technique. Thought you may enjoy it as well.

Pretty cool video. Is it also an option to attack the other arm with a kimura when you pivot to tighten the triangle?

Sure, if you can reach it and if his arm is in position for it. For instance, if he posts on the ground, you can still pull kimura, but you have to twist your torso a bit to get it. Mine doesn’t twist like that anymore. Haha

If he’s locking hands on top of your stomach, forget the kimura unless you can simply force his arm into position.

Dang, I figured at least a few dudes in a MMA forum would appreciate a very short tech vid.

I guess I screwed up in that I didn’t attack some big name pro in the title, yell at Kirik, or talk smack about the physical appearance of the current crop of female fighters.

Thanks for sharing!

hounddog - Thanks for sharing!

Very welcome. Good luck with it.

Good stuff.

VU, thanks for posting.

I almost didn’t watch because I thought it was a dirty boxing type video based on the thread title. Think if people knew it was a grappling video you’d get more views/discussion. I really enjoyed it. I suppose their next move is to posture up to straighten out their shoulder, since your hands are busy?

Thats fukn sweet. Thanks.

This is a GREAT move.  I've been doing this move since I was a blue belt in '96!  As ridiculous as it sounds, I *thought* that I made it up and was the only person that did it as I've never seen it done before and whenever I would show it in class or at a seminar, it would seem to blow people's minds with the effectiveness of the move and the simplicity of it.  But, apparently, I wasn't the only one!  Fun Fact:  I call it the Elbow Hook as well.  Thanks for the post :-)

Good shit!  Preesh

Punchie - I almost didn't watch because I thought it was a dirty boxing type video based on the thread title. Think if people knew it was a grappling video you'd get more views/discussion. I really enjoyed it. I suppose their next move is to posture up to straighten out their shoulder, since your hands are busy?

They often try to straighten the arm to free it. If they posture while straightening, there’s a chance of the arm coming free.

I do a hard crunch toward the side of the arm (NOT straight up) to trap it, and then lay back for the finish. If I sit straight up, it can work with his posture to lift/slam me. When I sit toward the side, it traps the arm and off-balances to break some posture.

Nader Snober - 

This is a GREAT move.  I've been doing this move since I was a blue belt in '96!  As ridiculous as it sounds, I *thought* that I made it up and was the only person that did it as I've never seen it done before and whenever I would show it in class or at a seminar, it would seem to blow people's minds with the effectiveness of the move and the simplicity of it.  But, apparently, I wasn't the only one!  Fun Fact:  I call it the Elbow Hook as well.  Thanks for the post :-)

That’s about how long I’ve been doing it, too! I’ve also never run into anyone else who teaches it or has seen it. Fact is, a kimura is a kimura. I just looked one day, and saw the “kimura.” I guess some judo dude from several centuries ago actually gets credit. Haha!

If we ever meet, I’ll paper, scissor, rock for credits!

I thought it would be a striking technique from the title but that's awesome 

Cool technique, thanks for sharing! Also, what can you tell us about the dog on the couch? That dog seems well behaved. 

Dog on the couch- some kind of pit mix. Belongs to my daughter and son-in-law (guy getting hooked). They spend a LOT of time and attention on training the dog. I think it’s less than 6 months old.

when I do this move I switch the triangle and do it the other way.  This isolates the shoulder joint better IMO.  Its a very good counter when someone headlocks your thigh

noshame - 
Nader Snober - 

<span class="User-104519" id="userPost61564100">That's about how long I've been doing it, too! I've also never run into anyone else who teaches it or has seen it. Fact is, a kimura is a kimura. I just looked one day, and saw the &quot;kimura.&quot; I guess some judo dude from several centuries ago actually gets credit. Haha!

If we ever meet, I'll paper, scissor, rock for credits!</span></blockquote>

If I came across as trying to take credit, please forgive me, that wasn't my intent.  I was just amazed to see someone else do that move finally!  Though I agree that it has undoubtedly been done by many other people long before us, you get full credit for actually posting it and I thank you for it!  You've been Voted Up!

I’ll give it a shot thanks.