Elbows in MMA: Why Jones Succeeded where Aoki Fail

Hey guys,
This is my second piece on the front page of BloodyElbow, I hope you don't mind clicking the link and thank you for your continuing support and advice. As always, all critique is welcomed!
Cheers,
Jack

On a recent episode of The MMA Show, and in an article on BloodyElbow, I predicted that Rashad Evans would not be allowed to get close enough to UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Jon Jones, to land his noted right hand. I asserted that Jones would use his front kicks to the knee, long punches, and brutal low kicks (made doubly effective by Rashad's side on stance) to pick Evans apart. All of these elements were present, but what I never saw coming (and neither did Rashad) was Jones' willingness to move into Rashad's punching range, in order to land short elbow strikes.

This unique strategy on Jones' part was probably the suggestion of either Greg Jackson or Mike Winkeljohn, and has seemed to defuse one of the main areas in which it was thought Jones could be beaten. It has long been assumed that, just as in boxing, if you crowd a man who owns a freakish reach advantage, he will be unable to strike effectively. By crowding a longer man in boxing, the shorter fighter can begin to work effectively in bursts between the range where his opponents punches are at their strongest and longest, and the range where his opponent can tie him up. The traditional boxing strategy has seemed to hold true through MMA's short life, Stefan Struve vs Junior Dos Santos is an excellent example of a longer man simply having nothing when a man with a shorter reach crowds him and relentlessly throws punches. Jones' success against Rashad, often by stepping in so close that he himself could not punch, has not only highlighted a new area of Jones' personal game, but also the criminal under-use of elbows in MMA as a whole.

Just a day before, however, Shinya Aoki, the Japanese grappling phenomenon whose stand up game has been steadily improving under the guidance of the elite Thai trainers at Evolve MMA, threw an incredibly ill advised lead elbow strike at Eddie Alvarez. Alvarez, a more than competent striker, moved back, allowing the short strike to miss, then jumped into range and countered through the wake of the failed elbow, dropping Aoki to his back and finishing him with a savage blitz of ground and pound.

The advantages of elbow strikes are very clear:

• They are ungloved, and so deliver far more damage in a short area.

• The forearm bones and point of the elbow have little meat over them, meaning that the collision is made almost entirely with bone, which is likely to open a cut.

• They can be thrown quickly and at almost any angle; from above, below, spinning, slashing downward, 12 to 6 (though currently illegal, unless you are on your back, bizarrely), jumping, falling.

Why then, are elbows not used more readily in MMA? For that, we shall have to examine the hazards of attempting elbow strikes, and the ways in which successful exponents of elbow strikes have alleviated these dangers.

Continues at:  http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/23/2968351/UFC-Elbows-Jon-Jones-Shinya-Aoki-How-to-Technique#storyjump 

Very nice. Thanks. Phone Post

Aoki needs to get Ron Artest into his camp asap.

In to vtfu later Phone Post

Very nice. Curious: how should Rashad have countered the hand trapping?

zedlepln - 

Very nice. Curious: how should Rashad have countered the hand trapping?

Normally I'd say attempting to control Jones' hands and land elbows of his own, but it was never happening from that distance.

Stepping back and freeing his hands then trying to leap in with punches when Jones followed would be a nice idea. But Jones did an excellent job of only beginning to reach for Rashad's hands once he was already along the fence. 

The other option is to go full peekaboo, hands nailed to head, but Jones was already working hard kicks and so on, so Rashad's forearms couldn't be braced against his head or he'd really feel the kicks.

Jones just did a phenomenal job.

BuddyRevell -  Aoki needs to get Ron Artest into his camp asap.

lol! Topical...

Jack Slack - They can be thrown quickly and at almost any angle; from above, below, spinning, slashing downward, 12 to 6 (though currently illegal, unless you are on your back, bizarrely)

It is not possible to land a 12-6 elbow from your back. You would be throwing it in the wrong direction striking the canvas.

TheDecider - 
Jack Slack - They can be thrown quickly and at almost any angle; from above, below, spinning, slashing downward, 12 to 6 (though currently illegal, unless you are on your back, bizarrely)

It is not possible to land a 12-6 elbow from your back. You would be throwing it in the wrong direction striking the canvas.

True, but the same kind of above the head elbow, down one's own centre line.

I mean the elbows GSP and Jones throw from guard move from 12 - 6 but because they're not the above the head type they're fine.

I believe on sports science they discussed how Jones long arms give him incredible torque and velocity on those elbows pretty much every fighter can't attain.

Kenny Florian should have been mentioned in the article too :)

Great read.

12 to 6 does not refer to the position of your body. 12 is always up towards the sky and 6 is always down toward the floor, regardless of which way the fighters are facing. That's why you can't throw 12 to 6 while laying on your back.

Also love the piece you reference on hand trapping: http://www.fightsgoneby.com/2012/01/hand-trapping-and-hand-fighting.html

I do have a question about Fedor's trap on Nog to set up the casting punch: if he reaches across his body, it seems to me that he's very vulnerable to the counter cross, especially if he's twisting into the cross to throw the overhand. Your embedded video is no longer accessible, and I'm having a hard time visualizing this situation, but it seems to me that he's open to the straight right.

Apologies if you detail this sequence in your book, but my printed copy is in the car at the moment.

zedlepln - Also love the piece you reference on hand trapping: http://www.fightsgoneby.com/2012/01/hand-trapping-and-hand-fighting.html

I do have a question about Fedor's trap on Nog to set up the casting punch: if he reaches across his body, it seems to me that he's very vulnerable to the counter cross, especially if he's twisting into the cross to throw the overhand. Your embedded video is no longer accessible, and I'm having a hard time visualizing this situation, but it seems to me that he's open to the straight right.

Apologies if you detail this sequence in your book, but my printed copy is in the car at the moment.

Massive props for having a printed copy man!

Yeah most of the vids from that article are gone now =(

Any time you lean towards the opponent's right hand it is a risk. It's just got to be calculated. Fedor noticed Nog was hanging his lead hand out in front of him and not doing much except jab I imagine and went for it. 

Corbett does it with an elbow instead of the right hand in that highlight on this piece.

Jack Slack -
BuddyRevell -  Aoki needs to get Ron Artest into his camp asap.

lol! Topical...

who's this ron artest? if anyone he should get metta world peace in his camp! you guys see that elbow?! Phone Post

Jack Slack - 
zedlepln - Also love the piece you reference on hand trapping: http://www.fightsgoneby.com/2012/01/hand-trapping-and-hand-fighting.html

Massive props for having a printed copy man!

Yeah most of the vids from that article are gone now =(

Any time you lean towards the opponent's right hand it is a risk. It's just got to be calculated. Fedor noticed Nog was hanging his lead hand out in front of him and not doing much except jab I imagine and went for it. 

Corbett does it with an elbow instead of the right hand in that highlight on this piece.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur that has to have it on paper to read it, so I had to print it immediately after downloading it. I've got about a third of it highlighted up and margin notes so far.

And thanks.

Another interesting article.

dave321 - Are you an MMA fighter or muay thai fighter? Are you a fan of MMA? I'm curious because I see these articles on that site, like the one with Palhares's leg locks (did you write that one?) and wonder who the people writing these articles are. I am honestly just curious.

I've trained striking martial arts in various forms since I was a toddler (starting with Karate and moving on to boxing and MT but trying to keep the others up). No professional fights, just a bit of a dojo rat ;)

No I didn't write the Palhares article though, I stick to striking - I've trained BJJ for a few years but I don't feel I can bring anything special to that area of analysis, I'm very much a newb in BJJ terms!

The articles you're referring to probably come from BloodyElbow. They've got some great analysts over there and I'm new to that team. Been writing for Headkicklegend.com and www.fightsgoneby.com for a while though.

short answer: aoki missed and jj landed :)

Very interesting article, thank you.

TTT