Elbows serve no purpose !!! Damage, cheap wins..

Elbows never finish a fight unless in a ground and pound situation. They only serve to cause cheap stoppages and lots of blood....

I fought saturday night in detroit and was in on a single leg about to finish when I was elbowed 3 times on the head...it didnt stop me...i finished the takedown and took the guys back with hooks and was about to finish when the referree stopped the action because I was bleeding real bad...It was no where near my eye and no where near my opponent and the referree shouldnt have stopped it when i was in a dominant position but what "purpose" did it serve ??? NONE !!! I was robbed of win money and lost a belt in the process because of 3 elbows...what skill was involved ???

..defend the takedown while the other guy is working showing skill and the guy drops elbows ??? Cheap in my opinion...

James Brasco

I wonder why no one else takes advantage of these no-skill-necessary weapons to finish opponents like Jon Jones just did.

safety first. perhaps it was a bad decision to implement the rule of a stoppage due to cuts at the time but you can't deny that such a rule is necessary.

as for technique, hey it is effective striking and since there is such a rule for stopping a fight on cuts then it is also a weapon. You can use it and he can use it. I can even think of a few fighters who employ/employed it quite effectively; the crow, Gsp, Anderson Silva, florian, tanner etc.

Vitor29 - Tell that to Bones Jones.

'oh tell that to bones jones'

so how many wins in MMA is that from a solid elbow strike?

there is a pointed tip on the end of the elbow. every style that teaches extensive elbow techniques have an entire array of elbows thrown specifically to open cuts.

so regardless of notable wins happen from an elbow strike, elbows are still a tool that largely focuses on doing superficial damage.  pointy things cut faces.  its basic physics.

People shouldn't be elbowing other people in the head in the first case. It's not polite by any means and not good natured. Only time you should elbow somebody in the head is defending yourself in a real life situation or somebody is trying to hurt your family. Don't elbow somebody in the skull for money. Thanks.

irishrottie - Pride rules please. Thank you.

+Infinity

How can you say elbows take no technique?

palerider101 - 

"so how many wins in MMA is that from a solid elbow strike?"

More than "cheap" cut stoppages from them.

END OF THREAD

orcus -  "so how many wins in MMA is that from a solid elbow strike?"

More than "cheap" cut stoppages from them.

END OF THREAD<br type="_moz" />

While I am not sure what to think about elbows on the whole, your statement is lol false.

And what I mean is show me more fights ended by one or two solid elbows resulting in a KO or TKO, then elbows causing fight ending cuts. Again I am not saying them causing cuts is bad.

Brasco - Elbows never finish a fight unless in a ground and pound situation. They only serve to cause cheap stoppages and lots of blood....

I fought saturday night in detroit and was in on a single leg about to finish when I was elbowed 3 times on the head...it didnt stop me...i finished the takedown and took the guys back with hooks and was about to finish when the referree stopped the action because I was bleeding real bad...It was no where near my eye and no where near my opponent and the referree shouldnt have stopped it when i was in a dominant position but what "purpose" did it serve ??? NONE !!! I was robbed of win money and lost a belt in the process because of 3 elbows...what skill was involved ???
Horrible officiating is to blame there, not the unified rules allowing elbows.

DerekJetersRanchDressing - People shouldn't be elbowing other people in the head in the first case. It's not polite by any means and not good natured. Only time you should elbow somebody in the head is defending yourself in a real life situation or somebody is trying to hurt your family. Don't elbow somebody in the skull for money. Thanks.

Sounds like a public service announcement.

Cheap moves = What someone calls basic techniques that they didn't bother to practice defending against.

I can remember quite a few wins with elbows that caused KO's like Anderson Silva/Tony Fryklund, Bobby Hoffman/Mark Robinson, Gary Goodridge/Paul Herrera, Pat Smith/Scott Morris, David Loiseau/several guys, etc...

Go tell a Muay Thai guy that elbows are cheap techniques and never finish a fight.

" Sounds like a public service announcement."

I like coming over and pissing off the UG sometimes. But deep down, I actually stand by that statement. I love mma but I hate fighting. Fucked up.

Maybe elbows only allowed while standing...in guard and your getting dominated but manage to cut the guy ??? U win..right??? No way to practice that equals no skill...

It was hard to see, but in Rampage vs Chack II, the shot that finished Chack off once on the ground was an elbow.

I am totally against taking elbows out and losing another tool in the fight. It doesn't appear that many guys throw elbows just to cut, besides BJ Penn.