Elijah, a BBQ and Jesus as God...

1Ki 18:25 And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress [it] first; for ye [are] many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire [under].

1Ki 18:26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed [it], and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But [there was] no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.

1Ki 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he [is] a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, [or] peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

1Ki 18:28 And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.

1Ki 18:29 And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the [time] of the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that [there was] neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

1Ki 18:31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:

1Ki 18:32 And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.

1Ki 18:33 And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid [him] on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour [it] on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.

1Ki 18:34 And he said, Do [it] the second time. And they did [it] the second time. And he said, Do [it] the third time. And they did [it] the third time.

1Ki 18:35 And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.

1Ki 18:36 And it came to pass at [the time of] the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou [art] God in Israel, and [that] I [am] thy servant, and [that] I have done all these things at thy word.

1Ki 18:37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou [art] the LORD God, and [that] thou hast turned their heart back again.

1Ki 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that [was] in the trench.

1Ki 18:39 And when all the people saw [it], they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he [is] the God; the LORD, he [is] the God.

more...

Elijah's goal: to prove there was only One True God.

Goal of the cross Jesus: Declaration that Jesus Is the Sacrifical Lamb in Whom the true God dwells!

Elijah Elements: a Bullock hacked to pieces, sitting on an alter, and wood.

Elements of the cross: a sacrifice hacked to pieces, on an alter made of wood.

Elijah visual: Elijah immerses the sacrifice in water over and over and I picture a flowing of blood and water from the sacrifice!

Cross visual: If you've seen the Passion I picture Jesus "flayed" body flowing with blood and water, completely baptized with blood and water. Then, I picture the pierced side in which blood and water flowed!

Judgement in Elijah: the fire comes from heaven and consumes the sacrifice and in doing so indicts the prophets of Baal. Their reward for following a false god? Besides the self inflicted hurt and pain, a non responsive god, ultimately, their false beliefs brought JUDGEMENT AND DEATH.

Judgement on the cross: the wrath of God was satisfied as God's holy fire was poured out the man Christ Jesus. In doing so, the declaration of God's power is shown and sin is judged!

You can see the transition of Elijah and the cross in the baptism of Jesus.

Here we see the declaration of Jesus as the lamb! A voice (true God) declares the pleasure of dwelling in the Son (Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, IN WHOM I am well pleased) You see the immersion of the sacrifice in water, and you see the theophany of the Spirit represented as a dove.

The baptism of Jesus fufills the sacrifice of Elijah, foreshadows the cross of Jesus and ultimately is a type for the conversion of the sinner who will offer their old man on an alter, bury the old man of sin in the water and the blood and receive the fire from heaven to declare the truth of the One and Only True God and finally to reveal sin, convert the sinner and judge sin!

Blud, quit falling me around saying funny thigns! You remember what happened to the other Baal prophets!

Do I have to say something controversial to get a response? ;-)

No input, output etc.?

1- I am in exams.

2- I understand what you are saying, and for reasons we both know, disagree.

3- You recently said you were trying to avoid confrontation, hence, at least for myself, am wary of bringing up alternative ideas.

ok, finished biomechanics and if you want, we can talk about this.

You state "Goal of the cross Jesus: Declaration that Jesus Is the Sacrifical Lamb in Whom the true God dwells!" I question this. Is not the purpose of the sacrifice of Jesus to be the perfect sacrifice and to redeem the sin of Adam? Not proving Himself (since Elijah was proving G-d).

MS

MS, good question. I actually later in my post that it's at the baptism of Jesus that the voice from heaven (God) declares that it pleases Him (God) to be in the Son.

Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, IN WHOM I am well pleased.

The baptism of Jesus has the Lamb (as declared by John), the immersion in water of the sacrifice, the declaration of God in Christ, and the presence of fire (the Spirit) in the form of a theophany (dove). The baptism of Jesus and the cross share much in type with Elijah's sacrifice.

On multiple occasions the NT declares the divinity of the bible. On the cross, I would say specifically, that it is not until the Spirit leaves Jesus that He can even die. I would say that the declaration of Jesus as God on the cross would be seen more as a carryover from other scriptures, declarations and contextual interpretations.

cool