Elvis retirement?????

I totally agree with BenBJJ. He has to learn to get out when its not working for him. He has been caught there and been beaten to many times.

I nearly screamed the house down when he was putting on that Kimura and as has been said, if he was a bit fresher it would have been all over.

Having said that, I was amazed that he had the opportunity to get to the second round, it could have easily been stopped earlier. The last minute of the first round was really hard to watch.

I think the retirement question is a fair one at his age and with the losses that he has had. I would love to see him get another chance though, but i'll be surprised if he does.

"Exactly!,..it works for Nog so it should work for Elvis?..na ah.. Fedor throws big wide loose punches,..I guess everybody should be doing that to? What works for the top few exceptions will not work for all."

I didnt say it would work for everyone, did u read my post? I said:

"The only viable guard is the one that a fighter can use effectively."

I was responding to this:

"The standard old double wrist control closed guard just isn't viable in modern MMA these days, IMO."

Obviously it is viable if the number two fighter in the world can use it to sub coleman, schilt etc.

"being in the guard is no defense nowadays"

I suppose aoki better stop it then, hes winning too many fights.

"SS, I recall you bringing up anti-Elvis stuff and getting grief for it."

Tank engine, Thats crap. . . i always said hes a nice guy and all, but hes not at UFC level, i never said anything derogatory towards him as a person, check my previous posts!!

SS, that's what I meant !! Poor choice of words I guess, sorry.

I meant, that I saw you ask the question "why is Elvis in the UFC" and you got grief for that.

Sheesh...

EDIT to add:

My point was that I found it odd that all the people who were quick to arc up at posts like yours, who had the audacity to suggest that Elvis' record in the UFC was fair at best or that perhaps he couldn't cut it with the top guys today, were conspicuously absent since Sunday.

I hope that clears it up ?

Realistically ANYONE who believes "Elvis puts on/up a good fight..............." is either an idiot or believes laying there and getting obliterated is "a good fight". Personally I'd prefer to PAY to see evenly contested fights or at worst not TOTALLY 1 sided.

One thing he can take from the BISPING fight was his second momment of offence displayed throughout his UFC career -
1: Armbar on HORN
2: Slides a knee through and chases for the Kimura v BISPING.

One criticism I have of the UFC is they seem to have NO issue with their commentary team calling a "spade a spade" re blatent missmatches and gift fights, ala Mirko's debut & BISPING v Elvis. I would think a paying customer should get the BEST possible made fights for their money. Then again though I guess beatdowns make for HL reels and are probably more marketable then the likes of Diego v KOS.

I personally feel that Elvis has no place in the UFC and further how the commission allows him to fight higher level guys is a mystery to me.

He is though a likeable articulate guy and that can't be taken away from him..... or can the articulate part??? A few more beatings and I can see him being the poster boy for civil libertarians or anti MMA parties.

Justin

"perhaps more time working on his cardio and less time on the interweb"

I know there's good advice there for me personally at least !

TT, lol no worries mate.... So, who can we talk about now?

It's always fun to bag Justin...

Man is he ever bald !

:-)

^^ Never fails to amuse me.

That and the picture of Justin raping his dog.

Been off the net for weeks and I haven't seen the Bisping match.

Elvis is one of Australian MMA's biggest assets.

He had won his previous 2 matches coming into the match with Bisping. With his Elvis previous appearances in the UFC, there is no reason why he wouldn't be offered the Bisping fight.

Few in MMA are more sportsmanlike and flamboyant, making him a very marketable good guy for sports entertainment. He will continue to get fights with the UFC as long as they continue to believe he is a marketable commodity for their business. A win would certainly help justify any future offers, but lets not kid ourselves that MMA promotions are always seeking to market and promote the very best fighters, fighting each other for titles, all the time. Pride, UFC, and all the smaller shows have their various characters, good guys, bad guys, assassins, tomato cans, prima donnas, etc etc etc

Elvis is an A grade fighter, fighting A grade opponents on A grade shows, all the time. With a record of 8-10-2, no one can argue he has a winning pedigree, if you think that makes him less of a legend that's your opinion. If you think he should retire, that's your opinion too, and a valid question, but only he and the UFC really know the plan to continue, or not.

The reason the arguments don't change from Elvis supporters over the years, is because he is a genuine ambassador of MMA, and embodies the australian spirit of having a go, despite the opposition.

Gerald

ps. "I would think a paying customer should get the BEST possible made fights for their money. - XFC"

That is without doubt, the funniest thing I have read in 2007! :) Justin, you really should know better.

Further;

Why are people suprised Elvis almost KO'ed Bisping in the 2nd Rnd after taking a hammering in the first round? He took a beating from Babalu, but was still picking clean double legs in the 3rd round. He almost submmitted Sakara in the dying moments of their match, again after a beating.

I met a promoter from TKO in Canada, and he said they wanted more Australian fighters, because they're tough, 'like Elvis'.

Gerald.

ps. You don't have to fight in the UFC to have an opinion.

Well said Gerald.

TKO would be an EXCELLENT show for any Aussie. Solid wins in TKO would basically lead straight to the UFC.

whats tko?

Canadian show. Good fighters come out of TKO.

Gerald the thing is mate, no ones disputing elvis skill and toughness, that is obvious, but if manchester united never won a game they would be relegated from premier division to the first division. . thats what were talking about! theres no shame in it ither.

TKO is the former UCC where Elvis fought Dave BENETAU.

Justin

POOR POOCH...

TinyPic image

The dog would have been more competitive than Elvis.

Justin

Supersoldier,

No offence taken, I agree with most of what you posted, and as I said I don't think it's an unreasonable question or topic.

I don't think Elvis is done yet, he is in good shape and no serious long term injuries that I know of, but only Elvis and the UFC really know the answer though.

Kind Regards,

Gerald.

hey Gerald,
I dont think in anyway Elvis should retire, not sure why that was brought up, i think hes still a very competitive fighter in his division.
Although not statisticly not doing well in the ufc, theres no reason why he wont do well in other arenas.