Embarrassed to admit to traneing UFC

Luckily I no longer "do mma", twas indeed just a fad, I still box. my friend does though, whenever he has to tell people I see him die a little inside and I cringe bad in those moments and die with him.

Happened just the other day, there was an uncomfortable silence, people looking at each other hoping someone had something to say to move the conversation on.

Was it ever cool? Because it sure as fuck isn't right now. Phone Post

Why do you care if its cool?

Just train and fuck the haters Phone Post 3.0

soreshins - Why do you care if its cool?

Just train and fuck the haters Phone Post 3.0

I'm not interested anymore but my friend gets embarrassed and I get embarrassed for him, he's an MMA instructor.

Hard to explain. Phone Post

It's ridiculously embarrassing. I've been training off and on since the mid-90s, and not even my family knows.

why is it embarrassing? where I'm from all the girls love it Phone Post 3.0

It's an entertaining way to stay in shape and you're always learning something new. There is nothing to be ashamed of.

Plus if they talk shit you can whip their ass.

There are definitely negative general reactions from a lot of people when you say you train MMA or are a fan of MMA. A lot of people think it's a very meathead thing to be into. The worst is when they say "What's MMA" and you say "Like UFC, cagefighting" and they say "Ohhhhhhh".

Whatever though, Don't really care what they think.

I think it's because I half jokingly tell him that when he tells the average guy on the street what he does they are just picturing him doing flying kicks at bits of plasterboard and stuff.

I do think young girls are impressed by itthe, although I should point out we are in the UK, it's not considered a sport here, I don't know if that's better or worse though. Phone Post

I trained martial arts prior to the phrase mma. I still call my hobby either martial arts or combat sports. Saying I train mma is setting you up for frustration.

I live in a fight friendly city - fight "trane"ing of any kind is well accepted and very popular Phone Post 3.0

People generally think that Martial arts people are weird. People who do MMA are weird AND dangerous because they really "like" violence. Bad combo that makes people really uncomfortable.

edit for making no sense

I only train Judo and Bjj...I just tell people I trane Judo cause that's what they understand...if they ask any questions then I tell them about the bjj.

Its best to avoid the conversation completely. I dont want to hear about some bitches krav maga class or cardio kickboxing, hear about some dickheads wu shu gung foo master or practice knife disarms with a 56 year old secretary.

FJJ828 -

People generally think that Martial arts people are weird. People who do MMA are weird AND dangerous because they really "like" violence. Bad combo that makes people really uncomfortable.

This is it I think, the real tragedy is that my friend has just kind of given up, long ago, he's given up trying to explain to people that it's not weird or indeed bloodthirsty.

I guess there was only so many time he could do the...

"well it's actually a mix of wrestling...no, not that kind haha, the kind that's in the Olympics... yeah... and Boxing and other martial arts, it's very technical "

Now the well is dry, after doing it so many timetimes knowing the person staring blankly back isn't listening, doesn't care and thinks he's a ninja dork, he's just given up.

:( Phone Post

Caring what people think

I just tell people I do boxing and wrestling. When dudes find out they think its gay. When women find out they think its kinky and gay. Cant win.

No one seems to care what others think here, just a couple of chaps commenting on a bygone era. Phone Post 3.0

To the guys that don't care what people think, you would be surprised how much you actually care what people think. Phone Post

Frames4Life - To the guys that don't care what people think, you would be surprised how much you actually care what people think. Phone Post
No. I really don't.

I've been doing martial arts of some description for 28 years. I am over any sense of caring what others think. Why would you be ashamed of doing a sport you love and trying to better yourself? It's them that's wrong - not you. Phone Post 3.0