EMPATHY-is it a good or bad thing?

i spend time watching different psychologists debate on whether or not one is born with empathy or develops it..i dunno where i stanbd on it but i do notice that i know some very empathetic individuals(how did they get that way?) and then on the flipside, i know other people that dont seem to give a shit about anything...did they so mehow choose to stop caring about things at some point in their lives or what?

anyways, what are the good/bad of having a lot of empathy?i think it would be a negative in this world tbh..what are the benefits/negatives of having very little empathy??

"i think it would be a negative in this world tbh"

Sounds like you lack it.

I think I read somewhere that sociopaths and CEOs have little empathy. Positive or negative is up to you to determine Phone Post

essential trait for any good negotiator

jzspanky - I am a person with great empathy and wished more people valued compassion and took the time to relate and understand others. Phone Post 3.0

LOL!

Empathy is extremely important in just about every facet of society. If you lack it you will not only be very lonely but will most likely be a failure. Very few folks actually are successful without it.

I thought emps were born that way. And that we are suppised to call them little people. Phone Post

Having the ability to walk in another persons shoes is essential to not being a total asshole. Like literally everything else in life however, it can be overdone. Phone Post

If you want healthy and functional relationships with people, I would think that empathy would be the most essential quality of its health.

I couldn't imagine going through life not giving a shit about any one but myself. Even more frightening is the idea of being able to see another person suffer without feeling for them. I think that it's very easy to dehumanize people if you are not empathetic, and it's easy to imagine the results of dehumanizing others.

Only in moderation, like most things. Phone Post

People are confusing Empathy with Sympathy.

Lacking empathy DOES NOT mean that you don't care about others. It just means you can't relate to or guess what they are feeling. It doesn't mean that you are indifferent to suffering.

BaldTony - People are confusing Empathy with Sympathy.

Lacking empathy DOES NOT mean that you don't care about others. It just means you can't relate to or guess what they are feeling. It doesn't mean that you are indifferent to suffering.

Good point Tony, you are correct.