Employee just turned down Mgmt pos for min wage

I offered one of my crew a bumb up to a supervisor postion which would double his pay. He make min wage on the cleaning crew. He turned it down. He told me about the work he does with the kids in the neighborhood that he grew up in (west side of Chicago, the worst of the worst neighborhood). He said that the change in hours would mean that he couldn't do his community work anymore.

He chose to continue to work 2 full time jobs so that he can keep working with the kids in between.

shit.

I did a bit a research and found a bunch of articles about shit mentioning him.

I am blown away.

I am going to try to invent a position that that would keep his job the same but give him the pay bump. Dude deserves it. and a lot more.

I hope this works...

Sounds like he is a real motherfucker. Hats off to him.

You're a good man

vu for being a dude

Brockback Mountain - Sounds like he is a real motherfucker. Hats off to him.

For real...

He was just sitting in my office explaining all of this to me and I was fighting not to shed a tear.

Wow. Sounds like a good dude. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck, for his sake, I hope you can pull it off.

Brockback Mountain - Sounds like he is a real motherfucker. Hats off to him.

This the guy is really making a difference in people's lives

Vtfu Phone Post 3.0

Good on him and good on you for trying to do right by him.

Awesome.  There are still a lot of good people out there and OP is one of them. 

Voted up. 

good for him and good on you to try to make it work for him.

Maybe you can.make a flexible schedule? Phone Post 3.0

VU op Phone Post 3.0

Honestly, he sounds unamerican.

I wouldn't trust a guy like him in my firm.

Can I ask what this gentleman's background is?

Redneck - 

Some people just don't want the added responsibility, there's also something to be said for just turning up and doing your menial job each day, without any of the bullshit or vicarious liability associated with being a supervisor.

thats the thing. He doesn't do that. that is why i was offering it to him in the first place. Dude shows up every day and works his ass off. He takes a ton of pride in his job (even though he is literally scrubbing toilets) and goes way above and beyond at every opportunity. He gives a shit. That is hard to come by in this business. He really gives a shit about his work. And on top of that he is a super polite and personable guy.

Is his name Ernie? 

armbarring - Maybe you can.make a flexible schedule? Phone Post 3.0

thats not in the cards. i am in manufacturing. we have deadlines that need to be met.

Technofiend - Honestly, he sounds unamerican.

I wouldn't trust a guy like him in my firm.

Can I ask what this gentleman's background is?

puerto rican i believe. maybe mexican.

i am going to crunch the numbers and make a "custodial supervisor" position. His only added duties would be scheduling and ordering supplies. I am still pretty new to this company so I don't know how this will shake out. So far, corporate has not given me any push back on any of the changes i have made over the past 3 months. we will see.