Employee Reviews

Recently the university I work it installed a third party application and branded it for Human Resources.  I am a low level manger and we can use it for reviews,  check perspective employees and resumes, anything on the employee basically.  There is a lot of dissent because of it from people in different departments.  A lot of people don’t believe in employee reviews. Most tell me that they feel blindsided which then creates mistrust in their department of management. It's gotten kind of vile. I kind of agree.  My brother in law is a CEO of a company and used to be a VP at Bank of America. He told me reviews and HR trying to run things is a waste, other than benefit administration they are a worthless department. I know we have some HR guys here. How do you all feel about employee reviews?

Software is going to rip all sorts of jobs right out from under peoples feet. Red tape is going to keep a lot of people in a job.

HR is the place where people with no talent end up working, of course them trying to run things is a waste of time.

Our company basically abandoned reviews. There is still a performance award program, which relies on a rating, but there's no formal review with all the stupid averages and balancing that takes managers months to complete. You are now either acceptable, great, or unacceptable and you get paid accordingly. 

I'm trying to get employee reviews implemented where I work. The purpose is to:
Communicate to employees their strengths and weaknesses
Make them accountable
Match Co assessment to employee perceptions of themselves

I want HR involved to handle the low level admin and recordkeeping

If there are better ways to do this I'm very interested.

Eisenberg -

HR is the place where people with no talent end up working, of course them trying to run things is a waste of time.

When there is a problem people don't like to get involved so HR comes in and gives a power point on "emotional intellegence" for example....this just happened around here as one of the PhD's is an asshole and got called out to the ethics board hotline by a part timer. I notice HR always want to be neutral and end up sending the empolyee to the Employee Assistance Program which does nothing.