Ending friendships when you're older

LiverpoolFC - Sounds like your tolerance had been too high for years.

Whats he bringing to the party? Phone Post 3.0
You are correct. And he didn't bring enough to deserve my friendship. I wish i realized earlier but better to cut my losses now. I am still close friends with his brother and he understood my decision. Phone Post 3.0

sounds like he has some mental issues... i'd still stay away from the condascending prick!

on the bright side... and humble brag, i went to a low-tier university here in canada, and almost 7 years into my career (engineer) make great money in a challenging role for a fortune 500 company (#1 actually) with lots of mobility. life is what you make of it, and it sounds like he hasn't made much despite his earlier "ambitions"

Jay Sin - sounds like he has some mental issues... i'd still stay away from the condascending prick!

on the bright side... and humble brag, i went to a low-tier university here in canada, and almost 7 years into my career (engineer) make great money in a challenging role for a fortune 500 company (#1 actually) with lots of mobility. life is what you make of it, and it sounds like he hasn't made much despite his earlier "ambitions"
It truly is. I'm sure he put a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself by talking so much. And also, congratulations on your success! Phone Post 3.0

Just phase him out, don't call him, don't go out of you're way to hang with him, soon you'll drift apart. Phone Post 3.0

Man money seems important to you Phone Post

Explain to him that you try to pick people early on that you think might end up successful so you can benefit from it, but when it becomes clear their success is not going to pan out it's best to ditch them and move on.

in

I have been through cutting off a long term friendship. Best friends from 13 to about 26. He was always drama, was his way or the highway, but when he was cool, he was a lot of fun.

Once I cutoff the friendship, my life changed for the better. I wish I would have done it sooner.

The moral of the story is sometimes ending a friendship can work out for the better. Best of luck to you. Phone Post 3.0

Alex Bruner - Man money seems important to you Phone Post
Did you mean to say money seems important to him? I don't know how I gave off that impression. Money is necessary to survive but no it's not the most important thing to me. Phone Post 3.0

Chi City - I have been through cutting off a long term friendship. Best friends from 13 to about 26. He was always drama, was his way or the highway, but when he was cool, he was a lot of fun.

Once I cutoff the friendship, my life changed for the better. I wish I would have done it sooner.

The moral of the story is sometimes ending a friendship can work out for the better. Best of luck to you. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks. I feel my situation will be similar to yours. Phone Post 3.0

Your ex friend sounds like he hates himself.... "Hurt people, hurt people". They do this to feel better about themselves.

later Phone Post 3.0

If you feel your friendship with this guy is worth saving I suggest you do the following:

Have a serious talk with him about his behavior belittling others and bring to light the facts as they are. Warn him that you won't tolerate that kind of behavior and if he wants to remain friends to stop it because it's harmful to your other friendships.

If he is reasonable, then he will listen and won't do it anymore.

If he continues, the VERY next time he says some crap about "that was my back-up, back-up school" in front of someone else call him out IMMEDIATELY and publicly. You said he has been humbled, but I would disagree. Take a look at how he reacts and make him understand that's how he makes others feel. If he learns to control his mouth, then you can save the friendship, if not, you'll know he will always be a smug asshole you can do without.

A college education is a college education in my book. It signifies that you started something and finished and I do not care what school anyone graduated from it is a AWESOME accomplishment.

just one question. since you and his brother "knew the truth" about why he acted the way he did, why did neither of you call him on his bullshit? did he ever say those things to the other people, or did he just make those comments to you guys? maybe he really believes his own statements? nobody else has set him straight, good for you for finally cutting him out of your life though. Phone Post 3.0

I went through the exact same thing with a very close friend a few years back. It's really shitty but time passes and you will most likely thank yourself later on. Phone Post 3.0

get a wife. Wives are very effective at ending every friendship you've ever had

He could likely benefit from reading your frat.

jimmy23 - 

" Looking back now, there was something he told me that should've raised some flags. He said "i want to make a lot of money so i can look down on people.""

as long as he defines his worth in comparison to other people, he is never going to be content

This is spot on even if he was making $500K a year there would always be someone that makes more. This is no way to measure yourself and certainly no way to measure others. IT's kind of surprising to me that the guy seems so obssessed with making a lot of money yet is so bad at it. My experience is people that are obsessed with that usually find a way to make money but it still doesn't make them happy or fulfill whatever is missing in them.

I wouldn't blame you for walking away from this guy he seems like a douche. I would say he's at about the age where he might start to figure things out and change his ways. Of course he's also at the age where he might just turn into a permanently biter joyless person. Maybe this has already happened and that is why you're talking about walking away. If you give a shit than maybe sit down and talk to him about things. If you can't find two shits to do something like that than walk away. But don't just keep hanging around the guy wihout saying anything about his crap.

Guy sounds like a serious d-bag. No need to have people like that in your life.