Entitled young professionals

Young guy in my office was told last year that his written work was not up to expected standards. However, he did an otherwise excellent job and was assessed to the top of the scale. However, he was told that the written work needs to improve.

Fast forward to this year and I gave him an above average review but not the very top assessment. Reason being that his written work is still below expected level and I've had clients adversely comment on it.

I explained all this in his yearly review meeting but dude just sent me an email disputing his assessment and insisting that he should have got top marks

Anyone else have to deal with this sort of shit? Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like a fun place to work...

Guy is 28 and gets paid $100k. I'd say that's pretty good fun. Phone Post 3.0

What does he do Phone Post 3.0

Management consulting Phone Post 3.0

soreshins - Management consulting Phone Post 3.0

See, I thought it sounded fun. Now I know it's fun!

Hahaha Phone Post 3.0

A guy who by your own words does a great job disputes your review = entitled? Phone Post 3.0

Millenials, bro. You have to coddle them like a fragile child.

He was told he needed to improve. Didn't improve. Still thinks he deserves top marks.

What do you think?

As an aside. I offered to give him coaching in report writing skills. Gave him chance to do quarterly essays that I would review in my own time and provide suggestions on how they could be improved. Chased him several times to do them but he didn't and I eventually gave up. Phone Post 3.0

soreshins - He was told he needed to improve. Didn't improve. Still thinks he deserves top marks.

What do you think?

As an aside. I offered to give him coaching in report writing skills. Gave him chance to do quarterly essays that I would review in my own time and provide suggestions on how they could be improved. Chased him several times to do them but he didn't and I eventually gave up. Phone Post 3.0
Sorry - aimed at Shiloh Phone Post 3.0

Entitled bitches are all around.
It's the reason a Prince or Princes is no longer given a single fuck about in the real world. Phone Post 3.0

So you wanted a 28 yr old who makes 6 figures to sit down on his own time and right extra reports that he is not getting paid for all so that you can evaluate them for punctuation? If your not losing clients then stop bitching. If he consistently garners high remarks but his writing skills are not on par with Shakespeare stop your bitching. Consider yourself lucky that you found one of the few 28 yr olds who are worth what their salary is. The kid has a minor flaw, we all have flaws. Like for instance yours would be making a thread on an Internet forum bitching about a kid who's writing skills are not top notch. Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - So you wanted a 28 yr old who makes 6 figures to sit down on his own time and right extra reports that he is not getting paid for all so that you can evaluate them for punctuation? If your not losing clients then stop bitching. If he consistently garners high remarks but his writing skills are not on par with Shakespeare stop your bitching. Consider yourself lucky that you found one of the few 28 yr olds who are worth what their salary is. The kid has a minor flaw, we all have flaws. Like for instance yours would be making a thread on an Internet forum bitching about a kid who's writing skills are not top notch. Phone Post 3.0
If punctuation is part of his job then he should be held to the same standard as everyone else. Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

How bad is the writing? Could I have some examples? I am self conscious about this.

Most people think I'm intelligent when I talk with them. But I feel that when I write an email or something I am borderline illiterate. And god forbid its handwritten and spelling is involved. :( Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - So you wanted a 28 yr old who makes 6 figures to sit down on his own time and right extra reports that he is not getting paid for all so that you can evaluate them for punctuation? If your not losing clients then stop bitching. If he consistently garners high remarks but his writing skills are not on par with Shakespeare stop your bitching. Consider yourself lucky that you found one of the few 28 yr olds who are worth what their salary is. The kid has a minor flaw, we all have flaws. Like for instance yours would be making a thread on an Internet forum bitching about a kid who's writing skills are not top notch. Phone Post 3.0
If he's getting paid 100 grand a year, he better be able to write like Shakespeare. Also, if the kid has had a whole year to develop himself, and been offered assitance multiple times, I won't feel the least bit sorry for him if he's canned Phone Post 3.0

My employees don't make 25% of that his employee makes, but I tell them that both good written and good verbal expression are required parts of their job.

If they give verbal instructions to a client employee, contractor or visitor and those instruction are either difficult to understand or difficult to follow, then they have failed at a required aspect of their job.

If they write reports, reports that I am expected to review, sign, and then forward to my bosses, and those written reports have spelling errors, grammar errors and punctuation errors, then those reports are unacceptable. If I sign them and forward those error-filled reports to my bosses, then I'm the one who looks like an idiot.

In fact, on written reports I circle errors in red and hand the reports back to the employee to be re-written. I then re-write the reports myself and forward them, because if my boss doesn't get yesterdays reports in time for his 8:30 AM meeting then it's MY ass that gets chewed out, not my employee's ass.

Like I said, my employees make less that 25% of what soreshins's employee makes, but good verbal & written expression is still required from them.

If soreshins's employee made $100k but had poor written expression, he was given a year to improve and DIDN'T, and clients complained about the quality of his work, then I would tell him "Don't ever expect to make $105k."

baj54 - So you wanted a 28 yr old who makes 6 figures to sit down on his own time and right extra reports that he is not getting paid for all so that you can evaluate them for punctuation? If your not losing clients then stop bitching. If he consistently garners high remarks but his writing skills are not on par with Shakespeare stop your bitching. Consider yourself lucky that you found one of the few 28 yr olds who are worth what their salary is. The kid has a minor flaw, we all have flaws. Like for instance yours would be making a thread on an Internet forum bitching about a kid who's writing skills are not top notch. Phone Post 3.0

He doesn't have to write extra reports. He just has to write his regularly required reports WELL.

Now if he CAN'T write well because he doesn't understand basic grammar & punctuation, then that's on him.

But I would make sure that he fully understood "Your career has plateaued until clients stop complaining about your written work."

My question to OP is, have you provided him with examples? If you've had clients make adverse comments, on the spot feedback should have also been given. If it is impacting your clients, I would think that giving him feedback each time it happens would be more effective and you have examples to point to during review time. Just my two cents. Phone Post 3.0