EO concerning social media

Trump announced potential action against social media giants. Claims they are censoring etc. People on social media are all happy about it. 

Is twitter being a shitty platform and censoring shit truly a censorship/free speech issue?

It seems that censorship is only an issue when the government does it or persecutes someone for speaking freely. Is that right?

It doesn't feel right having the government step in and mess around with a private enterprise. I think it sets a horrible precedent when we get a dem prez and he decides to go after sites they don't like. 

3 Likes

Seems like the censorship only goes one way 

9 Likes

to me, it's not a private enterprise or a private company. It's a globally used communication tool that has millions of users.  To take that tool away or encumbered to certain people, is not fair.

I realize private people own it.

Would if Alexander graham bell said anyone can use my invention but the Irish.  Or if operators when they heard an Irish accent, dropped the calls or wouldn't connect them.  Nowe the world is using the phone except certain irish people he didn't like.  It's a tool like that to me.

Just my .02

16 Likes

Trump is such a whiner

4 Likes

Sometimes, the state must seize the means of production from private enterprise because that private enterprise is using free speech in a way the government doesn't like. That is what the free market is all about.

2 Likes
Pratty - 

Trump is such a whiner

You’re right, he just shut up and let the one way abuse continue.

2 Likes
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

He is a child having a tantrum. He can’t do fookin nuttin 

You’re right bro, he should just shut and go with the flow.

We’re about to find out what he can do. And I predict more tears for you.

2 Likes

People that agree with trump here are absolute morons. Like really retarded

4 Likes
Isaac298 - People that agree with trump here are absolute morons. Like really retarded

People that agree with Twitter are absolutely faggots.  Like really gay. 

4 Likes

Funny how conservatives and trumptards are the most self victimizing, hypocritical cowards.

Leftists are the worst! Except when they invent amazing private social platforms. 

How dare they Fact check people on their private platform!

twitter is not a public place. They ban people for less than what Trump does. 

trump literally lies, pushes fake conspiracies that harass dead people’s families. 

Alex Jones had to reckon in court for his lies. President will reckon as well.

Pussy ass Conservative crying about a leftists product. Don’t you idiots falsely state to people who complain… “white people invented everything”… well, it’s not false that liberals sure invented everything you faggots use to spew your fake news bullshit.

DERP but it’s the first amendment! 

newsflash: the website has terms and conditions. And you can’t purposefully lie to hurt other people… that’s libel.

and this is all over Trump wanting you suppress mail in voting because he’s trying to rig the election in his favour. He voted by mail didn’t he? 

this is what Trump and his supporters have been reduced to. In essence they are A bunch of trolls on a website, crying about being moderated. Lmfao!!!!!!!!!

fuck trump.

5 Likes
cycklops -

Trump announced potential action against social media giants. Claims they are censoring etc. People on social media are all happy about it. 

Is twitter being a shitty platform and censoring shit truly a censorship/free speech issue?

It seems that censorship is only an issue when the government does it or persecutes someone for speaking freely. Is that right?

It doesn't feel right having the government step in and mess around with a private enterprise. I think it sets a horrible precedent when we get a dem prez and he decides to go after sites they don't like. 

I doubt the eo will have any limit on twitter.  my guess it will go after their cda immunity. twitter is endorsing certain information as true.  by doing so they have entered into the arena of a publisher instead of a host.  publishers are liable for the information they publish.

it will be very costly for Twitter to litigate every time someone Sues a user for defamation twitter would have to defend in court.  

2 Likes
Pedro Navaja -

Funny how conservatives and trumptards are the most self victimizing, hypocritical cowards.

Leftists are the worst! Except when they invent amazing private social platforms. 

trump literally lies, pushes fake conspiracies that harass dead people’s families. 

Pussy ass Conservative crying about a leftists product. Don’t you idiots falsely state to people who complain… “white people invented everything”… well, it’s not false that liberals sure invented everything you faggots use to spew your fake news bullshit.

newsflash: the website has terms and conditions. And you can’t purposefully lie to hurt other people… that’s libel.

and this is all over Trump wanting you suppress mail in voting because he’s trying to rig the election in his favour. He voted by mail didn’t he? 

this is what Trump and his supporters have been reduced to. In essence they are A bunch of trolls on a website, crying about being moderated. Lmfao!!!!!!!!!

fuck trump.

You sound more like Alex Jones in this post than trump ever does.

This is the same argument that’s been going on for years since youtube set this precedent by banning Alex Jones, other platforms followed suit, and we’ve since seen increased “controls” on who can say what.

These platforms try to play both sides of the fence, by saying they’re just a communication tool, so they’re not legally liable or responsible for the content on their platform, yet retain and regularly enforce a publisher’s rights when it suits them…and all (or at least usually) via guidelines that are either vague at best or outright not defined at worst.

If Twitter is putting “fact check” on the president’s tweets, they should be held responsible for publicly discoursing what their source of facts are.

(Maybe they are - I don’t know.)

At the same time, they should also be “fact checking” everyone on their platform - not just certain people.

I’ve made this argument before about other platforms, but if they don’t have the infrastructure to fact check (or verify or whatever you want to call it) every single piece of content, you shouldn’t be allowed to fact check any content, as it leads to too big of a chance that you’re using this loophole simply to control a potentially worldwide narrative.

And saying JoeBlowXYZ twitter user has almost no following, so we don’t need to fact check him isn’t an excuse. That would be akin to the Wall Street Journal saying they fact check the articles on their front page because those are the most seen, but they don’t fact check the small blurb on page 8 of Section E since hardly anyone sees that.

3 Likes

fuck all was censored.  he was never told he couldn't say what he does.  they just put an addendum to his tweet. 

the waters are muddied when it is also used for official statements from the WH.  who decides what is an official statement and what is the potus on a rant.  since you can't be amending an official statement.

they are going to have either use his twitter for official use only and get a new account for personal crap.

Pedro Navaja -

fuck trump.

What country do you reside in and how does the US president affect your country so much that you feel the need to post about him in such a dramatic fashion? 

3 Likes
vincan469 -

fuck all was censored.  he was never told he couldn't say what he does.  they just put an addendum to his tweet. 

the waters are muddied when it is also used for official statements from the WH.  who decides what is an official statement and what is the potus on a rant.  since you can't be amending an official statement.

they are going to have either use his twitter for official use only and get a new account for personal crap.

So you're ok with a political party injecting their propaganda under Trump's tweets? 

As long as the other side gets to do it as well. 

Has twitter corrected democrats like this? 

Fighting -

to me, it's not a private enterprise or a private company. It's a globally used communication tool that has millions of users.  To take that tool away or encumbered to certain people, is not fair.

I realize private people own it.

Would if Alexander graham bell said anyone can use my invention but the Irish.  Or if operators when they heard an Irish accent, dropped the calls or wouldn't connect them.  Nowe the world is using the phone except certain irish people he didn't like.  It's a tool like that to me.

Just my .02

Stupid analogy as anybody can start a website whereas old school phone lines are closer to being a public utility. 

"twitter is not a public place...newsflash: the website has terms and conditions. And you can’t purposefully lie to hurt other people... that’s libel."

Actual tweet from Twitter's "Head of Site Integrity":

![](upload://eZuQi31eZeL7wifrDYGvqq1Hz7Z.jpeg)

Is this not the same sort of libel?  Or has it been "fact checked" that there are verifiable nazis in the White House?

Or do these same rules not apply because A) it's anti-Trump / anti-conservative, B) he's a Twitter employee (and apparently a fairly high up one), or C) what I said above about Twitter doesn't have to evenly enforce their own guidelines across the whole platform / all users?

FYI - this guy apparently has a long(-ish) history of posting this sort of this: https://nypost.com/2020/05/27/twitter-fact-checker-has-history-of-politically-charged-posts/

1 Like
Lt_Fop -
Pedro Navaja -

fuck trump.

What country do you reside in and how does the US president affect your country so much that you feel the need to post about him in such a dramatic fashion? 

Live in Canada, and have family in Florida. A wild lawless American president directly affects me and my family.

Did you know the US is one of the most influential countries in the world? That their military sprawls across continents? If their leader is a complete lying racist, then it tends to cause problems for other countries.

get your head out of your ass

the cult of trump is so strong it’s spreading to canada as well. Thank god there aren’t as many brain dead gullible people here to fall for his mind games. It’s in humanities best interest to shun trump and his supporters. The world would be a better place without them.

Pratty -

Trump is such a whiner

You have no clue as to the amount of conservative censorship online. Social media and msm use it like a weapon and they think they have the moral high ground. Only liberals who have not had their world view censored cant see it.

1 Like