Eph 6:12

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I was thinking about this verse today for some reason. It says we wrestle not with flesh and blood...but I wrestle with my flesh every day I wake up...so what exactly is the true interpretation of this verse...I just need a little jump start to understand this verse...

I mean we war with our flesh and our spirit...our flesh and our spirit are exact opposites....our flesh wars with the spirit and the spirit wars with the flesh(lust,envy,wrath ect...)

so in closing what does this verse mean?

thoughts.

I think it means we are not physically fighting someone, we are in a spiritual struggle with our emotions, our temptations, and specifically with spiritual forces that would lead us astray and destroy us by encouraging us to destroy ourselves. Yes, we do wrestle with the flesh in that we have to fight temptations and weakness but I think when it says we don't wrestle against flesh and blood it means our opponent is not a physical person we can physically fight.

My immediate thoughts.

gotgame has caught the correct in a outside single leg, controlled in a sidebody position, and finished with a modified paper-cutter choke. Err.. I mean I agree w/gotgame.

Puzzled

gotgame=smart for somebody from Michigan

Often times our stuggles with the flesh, even our own, are very unsuccesful. It is in the Spirit where our heart is changed, and where others hearts are changed.

the rev

thanks for the thoughts brothers....

I need more input though...

where is rooster when u need him.

I taught a seven week series on this verse, what exactly are you looking for?

the rev

Hi bro, I have to work sometimes;-)

Paul is talking about something very specific. Our spiritual battle with demons. He is not discussing the war with our flesh. Go to Romans 7 for that discussion. He is discussing our war with demons...

Call sometime!

I looked this up. This verse is in the middle of the verses on the "armor of God." I think, therefore, that "to wrestle against flesh and blood" is an extension of the warrior metaphor being used. That is, Paul points out the differences between physical struggle and spiritual.

What also I find interesting is that Paul flat-out calls the adversary "the rulers of this world." By this does he just mean the adversary (Satan) or also by other "worldly" authorities, like governments or the status quo?

Here it is from NIV:

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

it isn't one or the other but both. Do you notice how men that are seemingly good, wind up corrupted as soon as they take office? There is demonic influence over all of society, both directly, and indirectly. Here in America, I would say we see more of the indirect, the advertising agency, the government, the consumerism. They are all issues of spiritual oppression. When we seek to battle them, by sheer force of will we fail, because ultimately the battle is spiritual, not physical.

the rev

Another question (if you don't mind, truth).

In this verse, it makes reference to spiritual attack coming from the "heavenly" realms. What's the original Greek? By heavenly Paul must not mean the same heaven where God rules and lives but the, I dunno, extradimensional, spritual plane, the unseen realms? In other words, there must be unseen realms ruled by God and others wherein reside the demons and their ilk? What's the original Greek, what's it mean and what are the implications?

(I don't have my Concordance with me and even if I did I'm not sure it would help.) EDIT: Because I am, after all, FROM MICHIGAN! (Hiya, Josh!)