Ephedra to be Banned

El Guapo, you finally made sense. Your right that it does suck that we do not have the rights to do what we want with our own bodies, even with the proper research to made an educated decision.

I have been educated whomever aksed about ephedra for years, but bad news travels fast and is a hell of a lot easier to remember.

"The public sentiment created by those high profile deaths and media portrayal have already slanted the uneducated (uneducated about ephedra) majority of America against you."

Exactly. The thing that is irritating is no amount of education will do any good if some lobby group has their crosshairs set on something. You can get an "independant" lab to give your test any results you want because people do not pay enough attention to the intricacies of the studies done.

It is not really fight for your right to ephedra, but more like fight for your right to supplements/vitamins.

several high profile deaths such as Kori Stringer and Steve Bechler

------------------------

Bechler had a genetic predisposition to heart disease. His brother died from it. He was overweight and was on a severely restricted diet. He was taking too much. There were MANY more factors than just the Ephedra in his case.

Ban Tylenol; it kills hundreds if not thousands every year. For those that argue that it has benefits; so does Ephedra and obesity is a HUGE problem in the U.S.

Samoa.

I took Ephedra and caffeine for a couple of years. For jogging, bike riding, weight lifting etc. the stuff was great. When I used to get a cold, I would take my pills, ride my bike for about 20 minutes and then I could blow my nose and have a clear head for a few hours.

When I trained in BJJ on the stuff, my heartrate got too high and I thought I was going to have to call 911 a couple of times. The stuff is dangerous, especially if you take it regularly. You also build up a tolerance to it and need more and more.

I had a friend that had to get rushed to the hospital from taking a physical agility test while on Ephedra. He finished first and then passed out. I used to get irregular heartbeats also, but not since I quit taking it. I now take Genseng, I would never take Ephedra again.

Gary Hughes

Gary, take your genseng NOW while it's still legal...

If things continue down this slope it'll be a CONTROLLED Substance and only available by prescription at ten times the cost plus the doctor's visit fee. On the bright side it may be covered under your $500 a month health plan.

I've taken supplements with ephedra for about 7 years now, 4 months on and one month off and always hydrated, and have never had any sort of health problems associated with it. From the couple mishaps I knew of personally, they both involved taking around double the recommended dose.

peace

"On another note, I notice people have stopped trying to say "Those damn special interests!" when it is Bush that signed the bill into law.

That's a start, I guess."

Um, yeah. It's a start the same way that not throwing your hands up in the air in frustration, after your drug addict friend falls off of the wagon for the 32nd time in 16 months is a start. Joy. We are so blessed in this country to have a population that has the same attitude towards our leaders that an abused, enabling chick with low self-esteem has towards her boyfriend with bad tattoos.

Are there any non-ephedra products on the market that
work to the same levels as ephedra? I've been
wondering for awhile.

Marvin

Are there any non-ephedra products on the market that
work to the same levels as ephedra? I've been
wondering for awhile.

Marvin

subwhitebelt, for a guy who is trying to come off as well-thought-out,you seem to be quite short sighted."- the law and ethics are not relatedWho said that? If that is that what you logicly draw from people pointing out that laws are not necessarily ethical, then you need a logic class. " a narcotic that can kill you, and that causes even fit atheletes to fear its immediate effects on the heart, is merely a vitamin." NARCOTIC? Nobody thinks it is a "vitamin," a vitamin is a coenzyme, this is a plant with MANY constituents, including some vitamins, which yes can kill SOME INDIVIDUALS if abused. "- If a person has been taking something, and he feels like it is OK for him, well, shit, it must be OK for everybody!How about we take away everyone's right to do ANYTHING that has resulted in accidental death. Do you value your freedom that little? ALL anyone has said is that for every fatality there are thousands of positive results, and the public at large should not be penalized for the abuses/mistakes of the few."is there any one here who really thinks that there is a lobbying group around Washington looking to fuck vitamin/supplement companies in the ass, and that is more powerful than lobbying groups that one would expect to try and support vitamin/supplement companies?Are you really going to tell me that Herb Pharm (one of the BEST producers of herbal tinctures, who I bet you haven't even heard of) has the same kind of clout as Merck or Phizer? LOL! And since you are so fond of Google, try looking up what former FDA bosses are doing today. Normally, they get nice jobs whith drug companies when they leave their job protecting our interests.I'm not sure anybody with a brain really thinks of Ephedra as "naturopathic," since its cousin is the pharmaceutical Ephedrine, but who knows.Actually anyone with a brain KNOWS that taking natural supplements IS naturopathic, path of nature and all that. However that does NOT mean it is beneficial. BTW many drugs from aspirin (a synthetic "copy" of white willow bark) on out are merely an attempt to synthesize the "active ingredient" of an effective herbal remedy. The problem being that natural herbs have thousands of constituents that work together and mitigate each other, NOT just an active ingredient. This is why herbs, such as white willow bark, don't have the same side effects like the GI bleeding and more that aspirin causes."Do a Yahoo search for "Ephedra ma huang side effects," and spend the time it takes to read with some thoroughness, before taking the stuff. Know that it can kill you fucking dead, especially if you have a preexisting (undiagnosed, whatever) heart condition.I agree completely. And you should also do this before taking ANY prescription or over the counter drug. FAR more people are killed by adverse effect of pharmacueticals(even when NOT abused) than from herbal supplements. I guess we agree that people should educate themselves and take responsibility. If they did we wouldn't have scam laws like this being passed.

LOL at Liberal agenda.

RussT, a liberal agenda to do what, keep natural products available to adults who want to use them? How is that even "liberal"? Libertarian perhaps...But why don't you laugh at this - Here's how some former FDA commissioners have been rewarded by the Pharmaceutical industry:Donald Kennedy 1977-79, appointed to the Board of Directors of Cyto Therapeutics.Jere Goyan 79-81, BoD of PharmquestArthur Hull Hayes 81-83, BoD of EntropinFrank E Young 84-89 BoD of Panacea and five other pharm co.s!David A Kessler 90-97 does not work for the drug industry, went to Academia, hope he proves to be an exception.Jane Henney 98-01, BoD of PEW Initiative Biotech And this is the Commissioners ONLY. It basicly appears to be a "one hand washes the other" situation. Or maybe its an innocent coincidence. In any case it is a conflict of intrest to allow regulators to benefit from the industry the are regulating. The incestuous nature of this relationship certainly doesn't DISCOURAGE corruption.*spelling edit*edit to lessen presumption

It is cool that this man has both balls and no balls, and so often switches back and forth, as if his scrotum came with a zipper installed -- subwhitebelt

LOL!!! The funniest thing I've read on this Forum in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what mostly caused this is that some people just flat out abuse the shit.

I think i heard the football player who died of heat stroke was using it.
And the pitcher from Baltimore who came into camp 30 lbs. overweight.

The media really has blown the effects out of proportion somewhat.
I dont hear anyone claiming that this stuff is safe when abused.
But is Tylenol safe if you take too much?

I would bet that the athletes who abused this stuff didnt speak to team doctors prior to taking this.

And to pitcher who came in spring training 30lbs overwieght and too use that stuff in Florida while working out 2-3 times a day?
I would say he died more from stupidity than anything.

Ephedrine is already banned here in Canada, but you can still find it if you look hard enough.

So in Canada the government has already taken my right of a logical, researched decision away from me.

But I hope it doesnt happen to the american people.