Erislandy Lara to MMA?

Just heard on latest "Fight and Flight" podcast that he's been training for an MMA debut. Guy is an absolute beast in boxing and with his reach could be a tough fight. Plus they mentioned on podcast he's been dabbling in jits the last few years.

Thoughts on how he does? Phone Post 3.0

I don't know, I don't think his boxing style is the best for a transition to mma. He's not a big ko puncher, so he's gonna be fighting off tons of takedowns, because nobody will stand with him. Phone Post 3.0

As far as boxing goes, he top or 3 at 154, in my opinion. One of the very best technical boxers around. Phone Post 3.0

I highly, highly, highly doubt this.

Dude has been boxing since he was a kid and is currently a titleholder and arguably the #1 boxer in his weight class. He's gonna suddenly switch sports at age 33? That seems absolutely insane.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I don't know, I don't think his boxing style is the best for a transition to mma. He's not a big ko puncher, so he's gonna be fighting off tons of takedowns, because nobody will stand with him. Phone Post 3.0
You dont need rumble Johnson power to sleep someone with 4oz gloves. Timing and precision is all you need and he has that. Lets not forget the speed advantage he'll have. Phone Post 3.0

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I don't know, I don't think his boxing style is the best for a transition to mma. He's not a big ko puncher, so he's gonna be fighting off tons of takedowns, because nobody will stand with him. Phone Post 3.0

This ^^ not much of a puncher but without gloves he could no doubt rock guys but he is more of a counter puncher

Tomato Can - I highly, highly, highly doubt this.

Dude has been boxing since he was a kid and is currently a titleholder and arguably the #1 boxer in his weight class. He's gonna suddenly switch sports at age 33? That seems absolutely insane.
Maybe he just wants to do 1 mma fight for fun. I doubt he's going to pursue a career in this. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think "taking an MMA fight for fun" is something any decent manager would let his world-class boxer do.

The most likely explanation for all this talk is that he just did some MMA training. I strongly doubt he's gonna actually take an MMA fight.

He's so fucking boring. I hate that Cuban style.

Except Luis Ortiz Phone Post 3.0

I dont think the money in MMA is good enough for him to leave his spot in boxing.

luctaro - I dont think the money in MMA is good enough for him to leave his spot in boxing.

you'd be suprised at how little some of those guys get paid in boxing.

Lara couldn't be much farther from having the reputation of being a "beast." He is a technical boxer who appears almost scared of exchanging punches. He fights from a very safe distance and throws jabs and singular punches. A sound technical boxer who can land with power when he plants his feet at the proper range is not a guy people in boxing refer to as a "beast." 

Lara would not fair well in MMA. He lacks the power and ability to stop and go that a boxer/striker needs. Nonito Donaire or Roy Jones had reflexes where they could stand in front of a guy, and then throw a shot and get out. I think they would be able to learn to stuff and avoid takedowns. Lara is always in continuous motion, circling left and right as far outside as a guy can possibly fight. He would have big problems making guys respect anything coming rrom him and would stalk him and press him against the cage or the wrestlers would just shoot under anything he could throw. He is a good athlete and would beat the lower rung guys, but at the elite level in MMA he gets ran over.

E55 Pilot - 
luctaro - I dont think the money in MMA is good enough for him to leave his spot in boxing.

lmfao!

hhahahahahahahahahaha

Lara is a Haymon guy!

Lara earned $1 million to fight Canelo in 2014!

Carson's Corner radio show - 
boxing wiz - 

Lara couldn't be much farther from having the reputation of being a "beast." He is a technical boxer who appears almost scared of exchanging punches. He fights from a very safe distance and throws jabs and singular punches. A sound technical boxer who can land with power when he plants his feet at the proper range is not a guy people in boxing refer to as a "beast." 

Lara would not fair well in MMA. He lacks the power and ability to stop and go that a boxer/striker needs. Nonito Donaire or Roy Jones had reflexes where they could stand in front of a guy, and then throw a shot and get out. I think they would be able to learn to stuff and avoid takedowns. Lara is always in continuous motion, circling left and right as far outside as a guy can possibly fight. He would have big problems making guys respect anything coming rrom him and would stalk him and press him against the cage or the wrestlers would just shoot under anything he could throw. He is a good athlete and would beat the lower rung guys, but at the elite level in MMA he gets ran over.

Second paragraph is what they said about Bisping, who is putting together a very respectable UFC run right now. I doubt Lara will seriously transition to MMA, but I think you're underselling the potential of someone with his style, if applied correctly.

IF Lara can avoid takedowns, he could "jab and jog" his way to Legacy FC Title level pretty quickly, IMO. Or put together a 15-1 run in XPLODE Fight Series and go straight to the UFC, where just hanging around a division for a while dropping split decisions is frequently rewarded with a late-notice opportunity.

I also think Lara would have more relative KO power in MMA than he does in boxing, IF he ever tried. Jab city baby!

Bisping is pretty busy though. He let's both hands go, he just lacks the ability to generate enough power to cause too much damage. He also spend too much time fighting in retreat which also reduces his power. I think Michael's concern for sustaining damage and his ability to withstand big strikes has transformed his style into that of a cautious tactician. He also lacks the strong wrestling or BJJ base needed to safely takes fights to the ground where he would be less likely to sustain damaging. Lacking the freakish physical prowess of Yoel Romero, Luke Rockhold, Jacare Souza or even Urijah Hall makes it that much tougher for Michael to compete against the 185lbs elites. I think Bisping has showed incredible heart and will to not only reach the levels he has attained, but he has been able to sustain the ability to perform there for quite some time. Kudo's to the guy, he is tough as hell.

I will respectively disagree with you on Lara. I don't believe he has the mental makeup to compete in MMA against top level. In boxing a technically superior fighter can play safe and move around the ring and clinching when needed to avoid confrontation. In MMA a clinch would almost be the worst place he could find himself. I give him his respect for being a very technical boxer. Atleast Winky Wright walked forward while being a defensive technician.

Hikikomori - 
E55 Pilot - 

lmfao!

hhahahahahahahahahaha

Lara is a Haymon guy!

Again for the comprehension impaired.. You'd be suprised at how little SOME of those guys get paid..... Did you read it again? Understand now?

I think it's dumb when people call fighters runners but in Lara's case it can be accurate at times. I mean Canelo had him running all over the place but he can't cut the ring off. He almost fell out of it at one point.

I see where some people want Lara-GGG at 160 but Lara is tailor made for GGG. He wouldn't last 4 rounds Phone Post 3.0

boxing wiz -
boxing wiz - 

Second paragraph is what they said about Bisping, who is putting together a very respectable UFC run right now. I doubt Lara will seriously transition to MMA, but I think you're underselling the potential of someone with his style, if applied correctly.

IF Lara can avoid takedowns, he could "jab and jog" his way to Legacy FC Title level pretty quickly, IMO. Or put together a 15-1 run in XPLODE Fight Series and go straight to the UFC, where just hanging around a division for a while dropping split decisions is frequently rewarded with a late-notice opportunity.

I also think Lara would have more relative KO power in MMA than he does in boxing, IF he ever tried. Jab city baby!

Bisping is pretty busy though. He let's both hands go, he just lacks the ability to generate enough power to cause too much damage. He also spend too much time fighting in retreat which also reduces his power. I think Michael's concern for sustaining damage and his ability to withstand big strikes has transformed his style into that of a cautious tactician. He also lacks the strong wrestling or BJJ base needed to safely takes fights to the ground where he would be less likely to sustain damaging. Lacking the freakish physical prowess of Yoel Romero, Luke Rockhold, Jacare Souza or even Urijah Hall makes it that much tougher for Michael to compete against the 185lbs elites. I think Bisping has showed incredible heart and will to not only reach the levels he has attained, but he has been able to sustain the ability to perform there for quite some time. Kudo's to the guy, he is tough as hell.

I will respectively disagree with you on Lara. I don't believe he has the mental makeup to compete in MMA against top level. In boxing a technically superior fighter can play safe and move around the ring and clinching when needed to avoid confrontation. In MMA a clinch would almost be the worst place he could find himself. I give him his respect for being a very technical boxer. Atleast Winky Wright walked forward while being a defensive technician.

I've always thought Bisping's ground game is underrated. He's hard as hell to hold down and has only been tapped once by Rockhold who's a wizard on the ground.

The only time I can remember him being out wrestled was by Chael Sonnen whose a beast wrestler and Mike took him down once Phone Post 3.0

E55 Pilot -

? Phone Post 3.0

Stern -
boxing wiz -
boxing wiz - 

I've always thought Bisping's ground game is underrated. He's hard as hell to hold down and has only been tapped once by Rockhold who's a wizard on the ground.

The only time I can remember him being out wrestled was by Chael Sonnen whose a beast wrestler and Mike took him down once Phone Post 3.0
I don't know if his grappling is underrated overall, but there is no doubt his wrestling/TDD is certainly underrated. Phone Post 3.0

E55 Pilot - 
Hikikomori - 
E55 Pilot - 

lmfao!

hhahahahahahahahahaha

Lara is a Haymon guy!

Again for the comprehension impaired.. You'd be suprised at how little SOME of those guys get paid..... Did you read it again? Understand now?

If your comment had nothing to do with Lara then why are you replying to a comment about Lara, in an Erislandy Lara thread about something that has nothing to do with him.