Escape a fully locked Side Mount Position with ease

Escape a fully locked in Side Mount Position with ease. This is one of the strongest Escapes you can do, and it will let you escape even if you have no defensive Posture at all. Don’t believe me, just try for yourself, and you will love this escape.

1 Like

Interesting- looks like potential for a head and are choke if not quick on the draw

4 Likes

Would this leave you open to getting mounted? Looks like there’s a window there.

Head and arm is nearly impossible to finish if your opponent is on his side. And I am pretty good with this choke:-)

Mount is only possible if you keep your legs “dead” otherwise you can prevent it. It is really a strange move that works so good.

The head and arm is Not from that position but the start of the choke right before you transfer to mount then the other side .

Looks a bit like the start of the ghost escape. You bring the arm across a bit like you’re giving them the set up for a head and arm, but slip out underneath by using your other arm as a far side underhook. Puts you in prime position to attack with a darce too.

Rickson showed something similar at a seminar i went to like 8 years ago

1 Like

All kinds of problems with that.

4 Likes

Interesting, I might try that

That simply will not work if the person in side control has even a little bit of a clue. It’s funny because I listened to Roger Gracie on Lex Friedman the other day and he said there are no escapes from side control, you have to wait for the guy pinning you to move. I think he’s right. Obviously if the person on top sucks then all kinds of escapes work.

7 Likes

I have a whole curiculum from there. Mostly I use the Ghost, when my partner has both arms on the far side (so not having a cross face). ONce he has the cross face it depends on how tight it is. If it is to tight I rather use this escape.

Well, that validates my bottom side control game. And this whole time I thought I was simply lazy!

8 Likes

Basically it is always better to prevent than to defend but if you have some escape like this which works great in the later stages of the hold down you can use it easy with the right timing, to prevent the hold down before it is even applied.

With this technique, I give you my honest opinion and experience. If I can prevent my training partner to free his arm (aka put it in the Arm triangle position) then he is stuck on his back with me doing pressure against his chin.

But once he is able to free his shoulder and turns to the side, I can’t control him with the hold anymore. I need to switch to other positions, and then we have a battle of transitions, which is normal.

I never encountered a technique that works so well against a fully applied cross face under hook.

1 Like

Not trying to be rude but I think you need better training partners if this works on guys in your gym

4 Likes

Where exactly do you see the technical problem?

that is not a “fully locked” position.

1:38 - you’re getting arm triangled. It was mentioned above that you can’t get arm triangled when you’re on your side. Bullshit. Also, I’ll put you on your back anyway. Plus it would be very easy to step over you to mount or progress to take the back.

If you survive that…

1:44 - I can possibly catch your arm and put you into a kimura/americana/straight armbar dilemma. That being said once you put that arm into the head and arm trap you’re not getting it back.

2 Likes

I’ll say this, the vast majority of upper belts in modern jiu jitsu are so loose while on top that I’m not surprised someone is having success with this technique. It’s the biggest difference between Gordon Ryan and everyone else. If you properly pin your opponent they are pinned until you move and they get an opportunity in transition. Until you go for something or change position nothing like this will work. If it does, you simply weren’t pinned properly. In this regard, jiu jitsu has seriously regressed over the years and I attribute it to the rise in no gi training. It rewards speed, athleticism and cardio all before technique unless the technique is at a high level. It’s much easier to juice and improve all those attributes than it is to improve technique. That’s why Gordon is light years above everyone else. He emphasizes position, pins, and technique while also juicing and being strong lol. He tires out everyone with pins because they think they can do these moves to get out rather than waiting for him to move and creating scrambles in transition. It’s why Danaher teaches basic pins and submissions

6 Likes

Carlson used to say if you couldnt hold your opponent effectively in side control, you didnt know anything

No sabe nada

3 Likes

100% true. You simply don’t understand basic leverage and body mechanics. Sounds simple, but I roll with upper belts all the time that can’t pin anyone.

2 Likes