Escapes and reversals in Catch?

Hello,

Is there any dvd or books on catch that have escapes from positions or reversals if so are similar to BJJ or completely different?

regards
Garry

Hi Garry,

Catch escapes and reversals generally fall into one of the following categories.
Rolling series, sit-out series, hip heist series,stand up series, come to base series,switch series, crawfish series, bridge series, winglock series, whizzer series. Each of these series represent the fundamentals but there are a whole bunch of variations of the fundamentals. Plus these represent only the escapes/reversals once you perform it, then you have to apply a finish.

They are definately not bjj in disguise but there may be some overlap in some areas. A bjj/catch cross trainer may be able to answer that one better than I.

Any fundamental wrestling book will do on this subject. Try winning wrestling moves which you can get anywhere. Some of the older books I have found to be better, but more difficult to get a hold of.

Chad

Hi Chad,

Thanks i dont know much about catch i have the Hooking series of Tony Cechine which was awesome im hooked although there isnt any catch wrestling in Sydney Australia unless you guys know of any?

I will be entering my 1st submission comp soon and wanted to see some easier or more time saving ways to escape some of the BJJ closed guard, half guard, mount. Ive been involved with martial arts for along time but never did do much wrestling and grappling.

I prefer no gi and ive been working on my own game from different people as well my own thoughts.

Do you know any DVDs of the stuff you mentioned above where i could buy?

kind regards
Garry

DailyC,

What do you mean by "winglock" and "crawfish" series?

I have wrestled for quite a while and have never heard the terminology. Would it be possible to explain what you mean by it?

Thanks in advance.

YKM,

I don't know of any CACC wrestling schools or instructors in Sydney... if I did I'd be there training with them!

If you discover any let me know!

A winglock is simply the overhook trapping of an arm when the top wrestler is behind you, often combined with a roll. Example, from behind the top wrestler hits a rear body lock or even a tight waist/seat belt, the top wrestler just overhooks the arm that is around the waist at the elbow and rolls. Other names for it are Winging, hip roll wing, side roll, outside winglock, wing roll. It really belongs in the roll family but because of its nature and some of the specifics I have always seperated it because you don't always roll with it. I have even seen the judo style scarfhold with the arm locked up high on the far side referred to as a winglock.

A Crawfish is basically having a wrestler behind you, underhooking an arm or leg on the nearside and going out the back door by turning inward. Example, from a crab ride, slide your arm under a nearside leg, lift it up as you turn inward and slide out of it. Other names: Circling inward, back out, arm lift, leg lift. Sometimes you can hit this when someone has your back and trying hard for the strangle choke. Really a better name would be a duckunder as it is more descriptive of what you're doing.

Most of the names I have used come straight from Thompson Claytons: A Handbook of Wrestling Terms and Holds.

Matsumi,

Like wise brother, are you in Sydney if so what do you study or teach?

Garry

Thank you for the clarification DaileyC.

Where can one get a hold of a copy of "Thompson Claytons: A Handbook of Wrestling Terms and Holds."? And when was it writen?

Go to Amazon.com and type in the title of the book.
There are some used copies available for around 7$

Very good thread guys!

Garry,
I might suggest that instead of escaping the guard you work from it. I will work escaping the guard into a side control but more often than not I will wear myself out doing it because people will fight with all they have to keep you from getting there. If you have better conditioning, go for it, but I don't like to chance it as I am usually the lesser conditioned guy. Vincent Fields has a leg lock tape that is full of great ideas for making the guard a not so good position to play from. At the very least, you can use those submissions to make your position transition easier.

Chad

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the tips, this submission comp ill be going in will be no leg locks allowed. There is 3 comps i want to go in and test myself out before the Arbu Dharbi Trials in Australia.

What do you sugest to escape the closed guard in a no leg lock comp?

kind regards
Garry

There are quite a few ways of beating the bottom scissors mentioned in other threads on this board. Johnny005's Windmill works great, also the Steamroller has worked well. Look around, the info is here.

Garry,
For passing the guard I would look into the bjj stuff since that is their thing. One pointer I do have though: once the legs are open, for the most part (not exact but close enough for the principles to work), you have a basic takedown position which is now on a horizontal plain instead of the vertical. Keep that in mind as you work through possibilities.

Chad

Hi Chad,

Thanks heaps, just so im clear here, vertical and horizontal planes. Do you mean submissions that work on these planes or something else? Does the lateral plane also come into this?

Thanks for sharing this info very nice to have some theories behind the movements.

Raswic,

Cheers, ill check through the old threads mate.

Gaz

YKM, check your mma.tv mail!

Hi Matsumi,

I tried to check the "Your messages", Do i need to join up the Pro Membership in order to recieve my message?

Sorry bro, new to this site!

Garry

Garry,
You can work the same submissions but what I am referring to is stricty the takedown positioning. Kinda hard to describe in short time. Picture yourself standing up and shooting in for a single leg. Once you are in position you have to do something with it (apply a finish). A very common finish is to just lift the leg that you have up in the air and do something from there. Now if the wrestler with his leg in the air were to fall backwards onto his back, and you keep his leg right where it is at as you follow, you will end up in a "broken open guard" but you still have the same position that you had while you were both standing. The key here is to forget that you are on the ground and think about what you would do if you were still standing and then try to do it. Now not every single or double leg takedown finish will work in this situation but many will.

Chad,

Gotcha buddy, thanks as long as i open those legs i can then snap them together and scoot around to the side as a double leg takedown keeping my head and should pinned on there pelvis and hips?

I think i have seen this on Randy Coutures dvds, what do you think of his wrestling does he use catch or more free style-greco?

Thanks again
Garry:)

YKM,

I train in Sydney.... all over it actually, Manly, Liverpool, Penrith, Fairfield, City.