ESPN+ monthly rate to increase

In August, ESPN+ monthly pricing moves from $4.99 to $5.99. The annual price of $49.99 will remain unchanged. Current monthly subscribers can keep the $4.99 subscription fee for one year before being switched to $5.99.

ESPN+ launched in April 2018, with UFC live events, and an assortment of college games and lesser sports leagues. It had 2.2 million subscribers in March 2019, and grew to 7.9 million by March 2020, after Disney launched a $12.99-a-month bundle that included ESPN Plus, Hulu, and Disney Plus. The bundle price will not be affected by this ESPN+ price hike.

Disney’s executive chairman Bob Iger said last year that because the traditional ESPN network via linear pay TV was “still delivering a fair amount of profitability to ESPN,” making the pivot to a streaming-exclusive world was challenging. Further, pivoting to a streaming-exclusive strategy requires agreements with sports leagues which remain profitable on pay TV.

h/t Julia Alexander for The Verge

ESPN+ monthly pricing moves from $4.99 to $5.99 in August to $5.99 a month”

1 Like
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - "ESPN+ monthly pricing moves from $4.99 to $5.99 in August to $5.99 a month"

Either Kirik thinks he’s being funny [like Triple H’s real name is Hunter Hearst Helmsley] or he’s a functioning illiterate.

His jokes are about as funny as Palmquist’s Paypal scams.

1 Like

As if $1 price increase needs a thread!  Could it be any more negligible???  I would really hope that this massive new expenditure doesn’t cost the organization a significant loss of subscribers and thus roster spots for our favourite fighters....

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - "ESPN+ monthly pricing moves from $4.99 to $5.99 in August to $5.99 a month"

That's Kirik and his UFC-financed mind tricks :)

Huligan -

As if $1 price increase needs a thread!  Could it be any more negligible???  I would really hope that this massive new expenditure doesn’t cost the organization a significant loss of subscribers and thus roster spots for our favourite fighters....

What is the percentage increase? I’m not a mathamagician so I can’t finger that out.  But I’m betting it’s a UGE increase if you do that decimal point voodoo.   

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -
Huligan -

What is the percentage increase? I’m not a mathamagician so I can’t finger that out.  But I’m betting it’s a UGE increase if you do that decimal point voodoo.   

Well it’s a 20 percent increase which is actually a substantial number for many products but this one is so cheap it’s not much of a difference. 

WaltJ -
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - "ESPN+ monthly pricing moves from $4.99 to $5.99 in August to $5.99 a month"

Fancy financial footwork :) 

Why am increase when there are no popular sports on? 

Time to cancel that shit.

Paramount Donkey -

Why am increase when there are no popular sports on? 

That’s probably why. Not very considerate of a multi-billion dollar corporation to do during a pandemic, though. 

Bullshit.

Its like the ironic "$6 burger" at Carls Jr now is actually over six bucks. Not falling for this gradual ripoff.

MasterofMartialArts -
WaltJ -

Kirik footwork rating in EA UFC 4= eleventy 

WaltJ -
MasterofMartialArts -
WaltJ -

Kirik footwork rating in EA UFC 4= eleventy 

HAHAHAHA 

Huligan - 

That’s how they get you. “Oh its only $1. That won’t kill me” then its another $1 then another and before you know it you’re paying a ridiculous fee.

That’s how the UFC tricked people with the PPV price increases. How many times has Dana said “Its only for this PPV.” only for it to become permanent?

2 Likes

The more subscribers who stick with the service the more likely 5.99 becomes 6.99 and then 7.99 etc.

Netflix was 7.99 a month just a few years ago. Now its almost 20 bucks. 

There is a $12.99 special for ESPN+, Hulu, and Disney +

Its such a crappy app. I always have to jump through hoops to sign in. Im canceling. Plus fuck disney and there politics. It has no place in business

mongo54 -

There is a $12.99 special for ESPN+, Hulu, and Disney +

Really? Thats not bad...this is how I get fucked. Amazon, Netflix, this combo And before I know it Im spending $30 a month on streaming

Mr Karate -
Huligan - 

That’s how they get you. “Oh its only $1. That won’t kill me” then its another $1 then another and before you know it you’re paying a ridiculous fee.

That’s how the UFC tricked people with the PPV price increases. How many times has Dana said “Its only for this PPV.” only for it to become permanent?

Boiling frog analogy.