Essential ground work for SD

What do you all think as being the top priorities/tactics in your ground fighting curriculum for self defense purposes?

All good points Paul, anything else? Maybe plenty of rest , which means no late night TV, DARN!

butt scoot

"i would say getting back to your feet from all positions, including guard and mounted on the back, would be worthwhile. monitor opponent for weapon acquisition and mind your own weapon retention.

honestly though, for me, self defense really does begin and end with nutrition, hydration, exercise, and relaxation. use your head"

I totally agree with both points. Also, where I live some good defensive driving helps:-)

I am curious as to how people would streamline their ground work for self protection purposes if that was their main focus.

Very good IPU! Any thoughts on how the drilling would change? I don't mean alive vs. dead, rather I would think one example would be moving at a steady pace rather than wait and bait type tactics? Anymore?

Paul, I think that guy is suffering from a major identity crises! It still amazes me that there are still people out there who are trying to be the next "movie style" Bruce Lee:-(

Stabilizing the mount, defending punches from the guard, recomposing guard from sidebody are the top 3 imo (and Ryron Gracies)

"Knee-on-belly escapes -2"

I have never seen this outside of a BJJ/subgrappling match.

John

"Actually a friend told me of a drill he dod at some combatives camp. Two people sitting, the instructr throws a knife (simulating a droppped knife) and the two scramble-and-shank."

I have done this drill a few times. Sometimes we would use a stun gun, OUCH!!

Mark "animal" macyoung's (yes I know) book on this topic is surprisingly good. It's called something like: Floor Fighting: Stompings, Maimings and Other Things to Avoid When a Fight Goes to the Ground

Good discussion

Mark "animal" macyoung, isn't he more of a Silat guy? I was thinking that I thumbed through one his books one day and he kept mentioning Silat. I do use a couple of things from Silat, so I am not anti everything that is Silat is bad, but a lot of it is useless for the street IMHO.

Thanks Paul, I'll check it out.

He was a bouncer in a lot of rough bars for quite a few years so I think he could be on the level.

Ignore Guard passing.

But then concentrate on the fundamentals.

You will NEVER need guard passing on the street.

Thanks Kai.

While it may be true you won't need to pass in "Da Street," guard passing is a fundamental part of the BJJ game and skill development.

BJJ or grappling for recreation and sport develops skills and attributes that are useful and can be trained/adapted for SD.

I am at best a mediocre sport BJJer, but I trained BJJ from a fighting perspective for many years and IMHO it is the foundation that was laid through the practice of fundamental BJJ that created the many of the tools and skills for SD oriented groundwork and BJJ.

Dismissing passing IMHO is a bad idea.

Armlok: I disagree whole heartedly.

Much of the gamesmanship in BJJ is based around guard passing. It's an essential of the GAME of bjj... Much like grip fighting is an essential of Judo.

However, in a street fighting encounter, you won't be matching skillsets, instead you'll be matching against someone who is strong, fast and aggressive, but does not have the skills that make the gamesmanship relevant in that encounter.

Just like I won't need to jockey with a whole-hearted grip fighting situation on the street to throw someone, I won't need to have a very developed guard passing game on the street.

Just think about it for a moment: On the street you are not facing skill, you are facing athleticism and violence.

Your missing my point. It's the skilss/attributes developed in the sportive aspects of training wthat are important.

Training "passing" develops base,control,explosiveness, grips, etc. For example, the VT method of attacking from in the guard didn't rely on passing, but did require the skills I developed through sportive rolling. The fundamentals of grip fighting likewise can be excellent tools for street. Take a person who knows how to use their powerhand grip and combine with punching, headbutt, knee and elbow and you've got Hell in the clinch......now that is "athleticism and violence." :D

I used to do alot of VT BJJ, in some ways it was very pared down and basic. But one of the things I noticed fairly quick was that the fighting application of techniques, movemnts and positions relied upon the skills and attributes developed in the practice of fundamental BJJ curriculum.

You may come to the conclusion that because the others in the class were like me and trained in BJJ, Iwas therefore dealing with an opponent of a similar skillset and experience. But I trained outside of that environment with many others in the military and on several occasions with some LEOs where my skills developed in the sportive aspects played a huge role in countering and dominating stronger, faster and aggressive opponents.

JMHO

I don't think I'm making my points very clear.

But what I'm trying to say is that many reality based martial arts have a certain component of complexity based on the gamesmanship of having an opponent who matches skillsets with you.

In Brazilian Jujitsu it's guard passing.

In Judo it's grip fighting.

I'm just trying to keep in mind we should train how we fight.