EU to ban free speech on the internet?

I guess Europeans are going to have to find an alternative to Facebook to post their "racially motivated threats and the direct incitement to religious or xenophobic violence." Perhaps the Otherground? No there's forum rules here too that wouldn't allow that. Ohh the tyranny of Kirik's censorship is denying our ability to have free speech! 

CavemanDave -
Haka Jawaka -
CavemanDave -
Haka Jawaka -

This is about your source:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-29/unmasking-the-men-behind-zero-hedge-wall-street-s-renegade-blog

Ok would you rather I post the bloomberg article about basically much of the same thing? Would you rather have that view that saying of the same thing but fails to quote the actual language?

Here

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-05-31/europe-gets-u-s-tech-leaders-to-self-censor

Fucking people...I swear. Yea did you actually think the guys that ran zero hedge are poor fuckers that never worked in the industry? Everybody assumed they were inside baseball guys from day one.

How about we actually talk about the scary shit happening in Europe now? Phone Post 3.0

I don't care one way or another.  I just thought it was reasonable to post a story regarding the source of your post.  BTW, I don't use Facebook and Youtube or any other social media sites as my news sources and I suspect many in the EU don't.  However, like all large companies, their image is important to their bottom line and, if that means censoring public content might help maintain their profit margins, then they will indeed censor it.  The collective goverments of the EU cannot stop or censor all sources of information.

LOL. Ever think maybe they shouldnt censor people in the first place?

That statement there is exactly the one we have to look forward to.

Completely walk past the issue itself, attack the source, then make a statement on how it's important we get companies to be complicit in censoring the populace because all these dicks ain't gonna suck themselves now are they?

Do you work for Merkel or something? Phone Post 3.0

You're mistaken.  You have the impression that I'm complicit in the actions or decisions of those companies and the EU.  I didn't say I approve of censorship.  I stated what I believe to be the facts of the issue.  I don't need to get upset or worry about this issue because I don't believe they'll be sucessful in completely censoring anything. 

Completely?

Like as long as speech isn't out in the open and lives in the dark recesses of rhe interwebs, then it's cool to censor the largest bulk of communication of the internet?

I either am not getting what you are saying or stunningly disagree with you. Phone Post 3.0

I took part in a poll of 500,000 people (at the time of me voting) and 74% want out.

They are so afraid of the Brexit campaign that they had a big van follow that buffoon Boris Johnson around on his Brexit tour with slurs about him on the side of it making sure it was in as many photos as possible.

In my opinion the results will be fiddled to keep us in, there's no way they'll allow the people to vote them out of the EU. Phone Post 3.0

BalloonBollicks - I took part in a poll of 500,000 people (at the time of me voting) and 74% want out.

They are so afraid of the Brexit campaign that they had a big van follow that buffoon Boris Johnson around on his Brexit tour with slurs about him on the side of it making sure it was in as many photos as possible.

In my opinion the results will be fiddled to keep us in, there's no way they'll allow the people to vote them out of the EU. Phone Post 3.0
Yea I've seen some of the antibrexit stuff.

Absolutely absurd fear pumping. Phone Post 3.0

Haka Jawaka -
CavemanDave -
Haka Jawaka -

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-29/unmasking-the-men-behind-zero-hedge-wall-street-s-renegade-blog

Ok would you rather I post the bloomberg article about basically much of the same thing? Would you rather have that view that saying of the same thing but fails to quote the actual language?

Here

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-05-31/europe-gets-u-s-tech-leaders-to-self-censor

Fucking people...I swear. Yea did you actually think the guys that ran zero hedge are poor fuckers that never worked in the industry? Everybody assumed they were inside baseball guys from day one.

How about we actually talk about the scary shit happening in Europe now? Phone Post 3.0

I don't care one way or another.  I just thought it was reasonable to post a story regarding the source of your post.  BTW, I don't use Facebook and Youtube or any other social media sites as my news sources and I suspect many in the EU don't.  However, like all large companies, their image is important to their bottom line and, if that means censoring public content might help maintain their profit margins, then they will indeed censor it.  The collective goverments of the EU cannot stop or censor all sources of information.

Please explain why you think censorship will help their profit margins. If anything, censoring posts will do nothing but harm their image as a platform for sharing and self-expression. This has nothing to do with business, terrorism, or any other false narrative. It's a mechanism put in place with no other aim than silencing the dissenting voice.

Josh -

Trump wants to shut down the internets also.......

so it must be good right OG?

He does; how so? Phone Post 3.0

itskrisdude -
Haka Jawaka -
CavemanDave -
Haka Jawaka -

Here

Please explain why you think censorship will help their profit margins. If anything, censoring posts will do nothing but harm their image as a platform for sharing and self-expression. This has nothing to do with business, terrorism, or any other false narrative. It's a mechanism put in place with no other aim than silencing the dissenting voice.
Honestly it could, at least the way it's done in this case.

The sjw crowd are useful idiots to corporate and government interests that have an interest in keeping people's mouth shut. If Facebook or Twitter did this on their own they would be lambasted and widely abandoned for failing to be a platform for free speech and free expression. Have a governmental body do it? Now they are just following the rules they are required to follow.

Many of theses businesses sell advertising space, and you don't want your Pringle ad associated with a controversial statement about race, politics, etc....not only that but some of these companies are run by people with their own political agendas.

What would be good is if everyone sees through this. I don't trust these companies. They went along with this without so much as a peep, and in my opinion the are bad actors. Phone Post 3.0

toelocku - 
Josh -

anyone that he labels a threat or we in regions we have a conflict......thats not a slippery slope or anything right?

“I would certainly be open to closing areas where we are at war with somebody,” Trump said. “I sure as hell don’t want to let people that want to kill us and kill our nation use our Internet. Yes sir, I am.”

Later on in the debate, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul attacked Trump’s proposal, calling it unconstitutional. 

That being said, it's pretty clear the primary driver of this is a left leaning pro EU contingent that wants to silence dissenting opinion. The companies are assholes, but they aren't the biggest asshole. Phone Post 3.0

CavemanDave - 
itskrisdude -
Haka Jawaka -
CavemanDave -
Haka Jawaka -

Here

Honestly it could, at least the way it's done in this case.

The sjw crowd are useful idiots to corporate and government interests that have an interest in keeping people's mouth shut. If Facebook or Twitter did this on their own they would be lambasted and widely abandoned for failing to be a platform for free speech and free expression. Have a governmental body do it? Now they are just following the rules they are required to follow.

Many of theses businesses sell advertising space, and you don't want your Pringle ad associated with a controversial statement about race, politics, etc....not only that but some of these companies are run by people with their own political agendas.

What would be good is if everyone sees through this. I don't trust these companies. They went along with this without so much as a peep, and in my opinion the are bad actors. Phone Post 3.0

In terms of image or perception, those social media sites are not in any way a reflection of their users. If anything, conflicting opinions incites engagement, which means more users on the site, and that is the only thing advertisers care about. Those businesses could moderate themselves and satisfy the expectations of any advertiser. This kind of censorship reaches a whole new level, and clearly goes beyond the parameters of any business model. The profit margin excuse is a little absurd.

I understand your point about these companies using government mandates as an excuse to exercise their agenda, but it's just so laughably transparent. They could easily release some kind of statement implying the code contrasts the spirit of their sites function, but instead they're jumping on board without even the slightest peep of objection. It's clear what's going on here, and Facebook has already set precedent for their intentions with past actions toward users.

Josh -
toelocku - 
Josh -

anyone that he labels a threat or we in regions we have a conflict......thats not a slippery slope or anything right?

“I would certainly be open to closing areas where we are at war with somebody,” Trump said. “I sure as hell don’t want to let people that want to kill us and kill our nation use our Internet. Yes sir, I am.”

Later on in the debate, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul attacked Trump’s proposal, calling it unconstitutional. 

He wants to block ip addresses that come from the middle east. That's all stop spinning it. The more we separate from the middle east the better that place is a cancer who gives a shit if you can't get on to middle eastern sites Phone Post 3.0

Anybody here from the EU actually worried about this? 

Hell some of my favorite Youtubers are political commentators, scholars, and thinkers from Europe. 

This is fucking depressing and concerning.