Euthanising a dog advice.

My 14 year old lab has stage 3 of a very aggressive type of cancer and I am looking for some advice, OG wisdom.

He has/had a large tumor on his leg which is coming up from his paw. It is annoying him to the point where last month he chewed half of it away and it became majorly infected. 6 weeks ago as much of it was removed as they could and they hoped it would stay down for 6-12 months, it hasn't. Its massive again and he is chewing at it again, my house is like a murder scene. Now I don't give a fuck about the blood over the house, carpets can be replaced etc, but clearly its going to get infected again.

I have the vets tomorrow to see what they can do, but other than live out his last days with a cone I am not sure what they could do. I made up my mind I would not let him suffer and he hasn't, that was going to the point. As for now he is still happy, still eating, still wanting out for his old man walks and a sniff about etc. However, I know even with the best case he does not have long left and I am not sure what to do. Its going to break my fucking heart when he goes, but I want whats best for him. Would it be more fair on him to be a couple of weeks ealier and avoid the suffering involved with something major going wrong, or hold out until it does? 

Sorry to hear that brother...

That's tough...

Give him lots and lots of love and make him feel as comfortable as you can before you let him go...

I put my dog down a couple months ago.  You will know when it's time.   If your dog is still eating and acting normal I would say give it more time.  

Our Irish Setter died because the vet missed the diagnosis on a cancerous lump on her front left leg. The vet said, "I can't believe I didn't catch that. We could have amputated the leg, but now it's too late." It turned into an ugly scene. 

Dogs and cats live just fine with only three legs. We have several cats at the shelter who are either missing a leg or who have a leg that's badly mangled and can't be repaired (the injuries pre-dated their time at the shelter). They get around almost as well as cats with all four legs, although they can't climb as easily.

If your dog's cancer is metastisizing, the vet should be able to tell you if he can save him with an amputation. Maybe it's not too late. Best of luck.

Tug Dabone - 

Our Irish Setter died because the vet missed the diagnosis on a cancerous lump on her front left leg. The vet said, "I can't believe I didn't catch that. We could have amputated the leg, but now it's too late." It turned into an ugly scene. 

Dogs and cats live just fine with only three legs. We have several cats at the shelter who are either missing a leg or who have a leg that's badly mangled and can't be repaired (the injuries pre-dated their time at the shelter). They get around almost as well as cats with all four legs, although they can't climb as easily.

If your dog's cancer is metastisizing, the vet should be able to tell you if he can save him with an amputation. Maybe it's not too late. Best of luck.

Its stage 3, and very aggressive. He has tumors all over his body and in his lungs. The one on his leg is an issue as he can get to it and chews it up. 

Don't make the dog suffer any more. If it's stage 3 and getting worse, all those days you wait-your dog is worse.

Renzo's Elbow - 

Don't make the dog suffer any more. If it's stage 3 and getting worse, all those days you wait-your dog is worse.

Thats kind of what I am thinking, as of now I am simply waiting on a time bomb which I know it coming sooner rather than later. However, as of now he is not in any pain, like other than the big tumor on his leg he pretty much normal. 

I'm of two schools of thought. One is, I didn't want our girl to suffer, (stage 4 lymphoma, metastasized) so once her quality of life dropped, we would make the call. The other was, our old girl was tough as nails and wouldn't show when she was suffering until it was unbearable, so we should do it sooner rather than later so she knew nothing but happiness and joy, right up to the very end. We went with the latter of the two, because as hard as it was on us, we didn't want it harder on her later. 

Only you can make the call, and it's going to rip your guts out when you do it, but if you truly love her, do right by her no matter how much it hurts you. Best of luck, we feel your pain. 

b.d. - 

I'm of two schools of thought. One is, I didn't want our girl to suffer, (stage 4 lymphoma, metastasized) so once her quality of life dropped, we would make the call. The other was, our old girl was tough as nails and wouldn't show when she was suffering until it was unbearable, so we should do it sooner rather than later so she knew nothing but happiness and joy, right up to the very end. We went with the latter of the two, because as hard as it was on us, we didn't want it harder on her later. 

Only you can make the call, and it's going to rip your guts out when you do it, but if you truly love her, do right by her no matter how much it hurts you. Best of luck, we feel your pain. 

Yeah my boy is just like that, very high pain theashold. I also don't want to get to the stage where he is clearly suffering. 

If he's otherwise feeling fine, just put a cone on him. Jesus, are there seriously people out there would who rather put their dog down than have it wear a simple cone??  There are even alternatives to the cone you can try like those circular neck pillow looking ecollars

bdpreddit - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 

My 14 year old lab has stage 3 of a very aggressive type of cancer and I am looking for some advice, OG wisdom.

He has/had a large tumor on his leg which is coming up from his paw. It is annoying him to the point where last month he chewed half of it away and it became majorly infected. 6 weeks ago as much of it was removed as they could and they hoped it would stay down for 6-12 months, it hasn't. Its massive again and he is chewing at it again, my house is like a murder scene. Now I don't give a fuck about the blood over the house, carpets can be replaced etc, but clearly its going to get infected again.

I have the vets tomorrow to see what they can do, but other than live out his last days with a cone I am not sure what they could do. I made up my mind I would not let him suffer and he hasn't, that was going to the point. As for now he is still happy, still eating, still wanting out for his old man walks and a sniff about etc. However, I know even with the best case he does not have long left and I am not sure what to do. Its going to break my fucking heart when he goes, but I want whats best for him. Would it be more fair on him to be a couple of weeks ealier and avoid the suffering involved with something major going wrong, or hold out until it does? 

Let him go friend. Find a vet who will do it at home (that's how I did mine) . Surround your dog with the people he loves and let him go in his home around people he loves. I have no regrets.

This. We did the same for our 13 year old GSD mix. He suddenly lost control of his hind legs and couldn't walk. I desperately wanted to keep him around longer, and it took me a while to realize that his quality of life was deteriorating and I was being selfish. We decided to let him go. We had the vet come and do it from our house, where he was surrounded by his family. Spent the whole day laying with him on the floor in the living room, fed him steak, and petted him constantly. I am convinced he knew, and that he was at peace with it. That was just over four years ago, and it still feels fresh. But I never regretted our decision.

turducken -

If he's otherwise feeling fine, just put a cone on him. Jesus, are there seriously people out there would who rather put their dog down than have it wear a simple cone??  There are even alternatives to the cone you can try like those circular neck pillow looking ecollars

It's all about degrees. If it were a simple benign tumor, yeah, inflatable neck pillow 100%, all day and twice on Sunday. But this is a dog that quite literally could be end-stage. It's about making that tough call (that can be totally subjective, btw) about when enough is enough, and when you're keeping your friend around for your benefit, or theirs. 

TFK_Mas Tisu -
bdpreddit - 

Let him go friend. Find a vet who will do it at home (that's how I did mine) . Surround your dog with the people he loves and let him go in his home around people he loves. I have no regrets.

This. We did the same for our 13 year old GSD mix. He suddenly lost control of his hind legs and couldn't walk. I desperately wanted to keep him around longer, and it took me a while to realize that his quality of life was deteriorating and I was being selfish. We decided to let him go. We had the vet come and do it from our house, where he was surrounded by his family. Spent the whole day laying with him on the floor in the living room, fed him steak, and petted him constantly. I am convinced he knew, and that he was at peace with it. That was just over four years ago, and it still feels fresh. But I never regretted our decision.

We did this as well, in home is the best for them.  It was a long, rough day. Our girl picked her favorite spot in the grass, head in the shade in my lap, butt in a sunbeam. All day. Ate cookies and jerky. Maybe she knew, hopefully she didn't, but she knew nothing but joy and love that day until her big sleep. 

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
b.d. - 

Yeah my boy is just like that, very high pain theashold. I also don't want to get to the stage where he is clearly suffering. 

It's rough, because we latch on to signs they're doing well and (perhaps subconsciously) ignore the signs they're not. Looking back, we maybe waited 1 day too long. But I believe we made the right call and kept from any true suffering at all. 

is there an alternative to a cone to prevent him from chewing his foot? some type of bandage and brace sort of thing?

ImSoPrancy - is there an alternative to a cone to prevent him from chewing his foot? some type of bandage and brace sort of thing?

A brace sprayed with a bitterant maybe. But some dogs are stubborn. If it can be reached, it gon' get chewed. 

My advice is you are going to cry and it is going to suck for a long time. I am not over having to make that decision on my bulldog and it still hurts. You have to make that decision for him to not be in pain anymore and it's not easy. I am sorry, man. Been there. It sucks and there is no sugarcoating it.

Dogs also don't like to show pain. So he could be in pain and you don't realize it.

bdpreddit - 

It will 100% at home. He HATES the vets and the is not going to be the last thing he sees. 

turducken - 

Jesus, are there seriously people out there would who rather put their dog down than have it wear a simple cone??

He has stage three cancer, its fucking everywhere, vet told me to start preparing for his death. The tumor on his leg has burst open. This is not a simple case of he puts a fucking cone on and all is good. I will stop now before I say something I regret.

However, I will say this I just paid $1500 to have a tumor treated on him when I new he was terminal because I wanted him to be comfortable. So no, its not a case of I would rather put my dog down than have him wear a simple cone!