Evaluate my Argument (re: Fossil Fuels)

Premise: we are going to burn up ALL the oil in the earth to use it for our energy needs. We will not stop until it is all consumed.

Therefore it will not have a substantially greater environmental impact to use it up more quickly rather than conserve it and use it up over a longer period of time.

There are two benefits to consuming the oil more quickly. The first is that the sooner it's depleted, the sooner Western governments can stop supporting dictators in oil-rich countries. The second is that our energy demands are increasing dramatically over time, and the larger the gap between our energy consumption and what we can supply through alternative means, the more precipitous the drop off will be when we run out of oil and can no longer sustain our lifestyle. In other words, it would be better to run out of oil while our energy demands are relatively low, compared to what they will be in the future. This will lessen the social impact of peak oil.

So my conclusion is that it is more responsible to consume more fossil fuels from a humanitarian standpoint, and from the standpoint of societal stability (lessening the upheaval of running out of oil).

So this is the part where you tell me how dumb I am, but please do so in the form of a logical argument.

Technology is increasing exponentially along side energy needs. Why rush it if by some Miracle some one has a technological and save us from peak oil. Sure the sooner we run the sooner we will have to use an alternative but what if with more time we could have a better alternative? Phone Post 3.0

I don't think we'll ever deplete the oil reserves and you make good points.

It's possible to do irreparable damage to something if you harm it quicker than it can repair itself.

You can remove small portions of a person's skin over a long period of time and amass a large quantity, whereas that same quantity taken at once, may not be something the person can recover from

I don't know if burning fossil fuels damages the environment. I'm just giving you another view. Phone Post 3.0

we don't need to deplete the oil reserves to stop propping up dictators. We have enough oil/gas in the US/Australia/Canada and Mexico.

We need to develop those area, as well a alternatives. We need to stop thinking there is some magical alternative that will be widely available in the next couple years. But a 10 - 20 year plan to get multiple alternatives in place.

The only real answer is going to be using cloning and new genetic modification techniques to bring back the dinosaurs. This will be a boon in several ways -- once the earth is overrun with horrible giant lizards problems of the past will seem small by comparison as people of all nations rise up to fight some dinos.

Once the battle is won, we can bury the corpses where we see fit to maximize the percent of dinosaur bodies that will be returned to the earth as oil. Repeat the cycle every so often and this seems like it should be a closed loop that results in infinite oil.

I really see no downside.

What happens when we've reached the end of the oil supply?  You don't seem to address that.  You vaguely hint at alternative sources.  

1) Would it not be better to give the most amount of time to developing alternative energy sources?  Why would rushing towards peak oil, when we don't currently have alternatives, limit the impact of peak oil?  

2) Why do you feel we can develop alternate energy sources, but you don't enterain the development of better/more efficient means of using hydrocarbon fuels?  Factories today are more efficient and have better filters than two decades ago.   If we rush through burning hydrocarbons, we're burnign them at today's efficiency, not what we can develop in the future.  

itswhitty - The only real answer is going to be using cloning and new genetic modification techniques to bring back the dinosaurs. This will be a boon in several ways -- once the earth is overrun with horrible giant lizards problems of the past will seem small by comparison as people of all nations rise up to fight some dinos.

Once the battle is won, we can bury the corpses where we see fit to maximize the percent of dinosaur bodies that will be returned to the earth as oil. Repeat the cycle every so often and this seems like it should be a closed loop that results in infinite oil.

Aside from the fact that oil didn't come from dinosaurs and has nothing to do with them?  

That isn't your argument, that is Mike Ruppert's.

We will never actually run out of oil, it will become harder and harder to find and the cost will rise higher and higher until it's no longer viable as a mainstream energy source.

Old guys will always be able to fill up their old gas powered cars for a weekend cruise because they will be willing to pay for it.

The best way to explain what will happen to the oil market is to imagine being stuck in a jail cell filled with shelled nuts. At first it is very easy to just grab a handful to eat but eventually the cell will be almost all shells and the effort of searching for the remaining nuts wont be worth the reward of eating them.

blas4ublasphemy - We will never actually run out of oil, it will become harder and harder to find and the cost will rise higher and higher until it's no longer viable as a mainstream energy source.

Old guys will always be able to fill up their old gas powered cars for a weekend cruise because they will be willing to pay for it.

The best way to explain what will happen to the oil market is to imagine being stuck in a jail cell filled with shelled nuts. At first it is very easy to just grab a handful to eat but eventually the cell will be almost all shells and the effort of searching for the remaining nuts wont be worth the reward of eating them.

What a stupid analogy.

Mencken - 
itswhitty - The only real answer is going to be using cloning and new genetic modification techniques to bring back the dinosaurs. This will be a boon in several ways -- once the earth is overrun with horrible giant lizards problems of the past will seem small by comparison as people of all nations rise up to fight some dinos.

Aside from the fact that oil didn't come from dinosaurs and has nothing to do with them?  

You really didn't pick up that I was kidding? And THAT was the flaw in my plan that you thought you'd pick out?

Your 1st sentence is factually impossible, we cannot burn up "all" the fossil fuels. (It's not like they are located in a single tank, like you car) It simply becomes progressively more expensive to get at them.

As for the other stuff, you are probably wrong, but no more so than everyone else and every politician that tries to get us into another war.

itswhitty - 
Mencken - 

You really didn't pick up that I was kidding? And THAT was the flaw in my plan that you thought you'd pick out?

You really missed it lol

Dino oil ftw.

Joking about fighting a global army of prehistoric algae just didn't seem like a good angle.

I can probably be kind of a know-it-all, so I get a touch defensive when my joking is taken as a sign of real ignorance on a subject. Sorry if that came through.

SoccerkickrevivaL - 
blas4ublasphemy - We will never actually run out of oil, it will become harder and harder to find and the cost will rise higher and higher until it's no longer viable as a mainstream energy source.

What a stupid analogy.

Care to elaborate on why it is stupid? The average person won't pay what they consider an exorbitant price for gas regardless of whether it is available or not the same way most wouldn't search through a sea of shells for a few nuts therefor we will never actually run out of oil.

i'm pretty sure that the slower we release greenhouse gases into the air the better, your plan doesn't seem to account for that. Plus, the faster we go through it, the more money those dictators you mention will have, and the more power they will obtain as a result.

blas4ublasphemy - 
SoccerkickrevivaL - 

What a stupid analogy.

Care to elaborate on why it is stupid? The average person won't pay what they consider an exorbitant price for gas regardless of whether it is available or not the same way most wouldn't search through a sea of shells for a few nuts therefor we will never actually run out of oil.

No.