Evan Tanner documentary LA film fest

I have been keeping an eye out concerning the reviews for this Evan Tanner documentary at the LA film fest and I have seen nothing but great reviews on this documentary done by director Gerard Roxburgh.

I can not wait for this to come out. I know he has posted here in the past and hope Gerard will stop by and give us an update when to expect it out and in what type of media.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/once-i-was-a-champion-a-hot-ticket-at-the-la-film-fest_b32053

Here is a small article about "Once I was Champion" at the LA film fest:

Once I was a Champion, the documentary on the life of mixed martial arts fighter Evan Tanner, is having a great run at the LA Film Festival. Every show has been sold out thus far and the film is sold out in advance of its final Saturday screening. Even with our press pass, we showed up five minutes early to the film and were told better make it a half hour next time. And we weren’t the only ones turned away.

We ran into director Gerard Roxburgh and his crew in the hallway outside the screening yesterday. He told us a carload of crew family members drove up from San Diego to catch the screening and even he couldn’t get them in.

Here’s hoping the festival adds an extra showing, because we’ve heard nothing but good things so far about the film.

TTT for Evan Tanner

word

Can't wait for the day I'm able to watch this in some form.

Thanks op, Really looking foward to seeing this

TTT for Tanner a true warrior

The movie was amazing. One of the best movies I've ever seen. 

That's great news.

GNPfan - I have been keeping an eye out concerning the reviews for this Evan Tanner documentary at the LA film fest and I have seen nothing but great reviews on this documentary done by director Gerard Roxburgh.

People keep saying that, but all the "reviews" I've seen are articles from MMA fans/reporters. Are there any actual industry reviews out there?

I saw the film a couple months ago when it screened in LA and while I understand people care a lot about Evan and want the film to be good because of their love for him and for the sport...I didn't think it was good at all.

TTT

Ring Girl - 
GNPfan - I have been keeping an eye out concerning the reviews for this Evan Tanner documentary at the LA film fest and I have seen nothing but great reviews on this documentary done by director Gerard Roxburgh.

People keep saying that, but all the "reviews" I've seen are articles from MMA fans/reporters. Are there any actual industry reviews out there?

I saw the film a couple months ago when it screened in LA and while I understand people care a lot about Evan and want the film to be good because of their love for him and for the sport...I didn't think it was good at all.

I don't understand how you could say that at all.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or jar at your opinion, but it's a great movie. 

My girlfriend, had no idea about Evan, or what the movie was about and loved it. 

LayzieTheSavage - 

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or jar at your opinion, but it's a great movie. 

My girlfriend, had no idea about Evan, or what the movie was about and loved it. 

I don't take offense at other people's opinion -- that's great that you and she enjoyed it.

I did not think it was good. I thought there were some major problems with the story construction and it's not something I would recommend to anyone. 

Ring Girl - 
LayzieTheSavage - 

I don't take offense at other people's opinion -- that's great that you and she enjoyed it.

I did not think it was good. I thought there were some major problems with the story construction and it's not something I would recommend to anyone. 

What were the major problems with the story contruction? I haven't seen it but from the people that knew Evan they told me it was good. I know you knew him too so I'm curious to your opinion.

Hey GB -

My interpretation of things is that people are excited about the movie either because they knew/loved Evan and it brings back memories about him, or they are really excited MMA fans and they just love anything that's about their sport.

As someone who has studied various forms of storytelling pretty much my entire life, the movie fell flat for me. Aside from some basic problems in the timeline of the movie and the clarity of the timeline, the bigger problem was I thought it actually skipped over the most interesting parts of Evan's life - basically any parts where there was real conflict going on - and therefore came across as a romantic idealization of him as opposed to a true character study.

There are a lot of "tragic hero" stories out there and this movie didn't do anything to take it to the next level, or to be frank, even truly fulfill on the genre. I thought they took what was a really interesting life and turned it into a "nice" eulogy. (Even more so, since I've heard they changed the ending.)

I would say this movie was a lovely acknowledgment of Evan, which is why I think people who knew Evan respond to it, but it was not an example of good documentary story telling.

"I thought it actually skipped over the most interesting parts of Evan's life - basically any parts where there was real conflict going on - and therefore came across as a romantic idealization of him as opposed to a true character study."

Highly unfortunate if true. If there was anything you could gather about Evan without actually knowing him, it was that he was torn between impulses---a walking case of self-conflict. Full of purpose and conviction, yet lost as a little lamb. Feet nailed to the earth, head in the clouds.

It sounds like the film is sentimental and afraid to scratch the surface, something I was afraid would be the case.

Here's the thing, the movie obviously addressed Evan's drinking struggle - it would be impossible not to. But I feel like it stayed in a very safe middle ground with the issues in his life and didn't really get at the impact or take a critical look at what was going on. And when I say critical, I don't mean negative, but a real analytical look.

By eliminating the things that wouldn't necessarily shine a great light on Evan (or other people in the film, depending on the issue) then the whole dynamic range of emotion in the film is compressed and as a viewer my attachment to Evan as a character is diminished, as well.

That's what sentimental is all about. The amateur always tries to lead you in chains to a preordained place, rather than trusting you with the facts.

Ring Girl - People keep saying that, but all the "reviews" I've seen are articles from MMA fans/reporters. Are there any actual industry reviews out there?

I believe the site I reference in my post is from a LA media news website. I don't think they have anything to do with MMA.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like it because I highly respect your opinions on here.

Not really sure what my expectations of this film are. At this point I don't think I really have any. I was a Tanner fan, met him and had a good conversation with him, super cool to just chat with someone I enjoyed watching fight. Just to see something on him, to remember him is pretty much all I'm looking to get out of it.

TTT for Evan Phone Post

GNPfan - 
Ring Girl - People keep saying that, but all the "reviews" I've seen are articles from MMA fans/reporters. Are there any actual industry reviews out there?

I believe the site I reference in my post is from a LA media news website. I don't think they have anything to do with MMA.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like it because I highly respect your opinions on here.

Not really sure what my expectations of this film are. At this point I don't think I really have any. I was a Tanner fan, met him and had a good conversation with him, super cool to just chat with someone I enjoyed watching fight. Just to see something on him, to remember him is pretty much all I'm looking to get out of it.

Thanks, GNP. And yeah, the one you linked is the only non-MMA related article I've seen on it. Not really a review though. I was curious if there were other ones like it from non-MMA sites.

If what you described is what you're looking to get out of it, then you probably WILL enjoy it. Like I said, it's a nice eulogy...it's just not a good film.