EVANGELICAL WHITES TURNING LIBERAL?

It really can’t be stated enough that the modern form of American Evangelical Protestantism as a coherent political group first formed around being anti-integration, and only switched to abortion after that became untenable.

But that is also why evangelical whites are not “turning liberal.” Explicitly conservative partisan politics are too much of what they are and things like prosperity gospel are practically custom-designed to justify right-wing politics. Every few years there is some article about how the evangelicals are switching sides but it never pans out.

1 Like

Woke-ism is a religion unto itself. So I’m sure it was an easy transition.

3 Likes

Correct. They couldn’t push segregation anymore and it was Paul Weyrich who got the strategy in full swing in 1979 to deny Carter the south and a potential second term. Cliffs version

Edit because I cant post pics

Not true at all. You are being very American/Euro centric on this one.
Look at Protestant mission movement in Eastern Europe and LatAm… look at all movements in Africa… the places where Christianity is growing (and globally, it is growing) are more conservative movements than in the US… in fact, in a great irony the African episcopal church is basically supporting conservative anglican churches in the US after the schism.

1 Like

Religion is for moronic cowards

1 Like

Woke-ism has infected many places… I was in a MDiv program at a top 3 school (was doing it on the side for ‘fun’)… I failed to read the ‘writing guidance’ and had my first paper lowered a grade because I referred to god as “Him”…

Last fall we actually had an entire session on how to “forgive” Trump voters…

One paper I had to write was a commentary on a scholarly article about how the transfiguration of christ is analogous to transsexual/transgenderism…

It reminded me in a way of being back in Con Law in law school, where half the time I would sit and ask myself whether I was in law school or poli sci class.

3 Likes

https://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catholic-social-teaching/seven-themes-of-catholic-social-teaching

Obviously Catholics are not evangelicals but these skew liberal. It will be interesting to see if the Catholic Church in the US divides since the division is becoming rather intense internally.

Agree to disagree.

Of the 7 in the link:

• at least 3 are clearly socially ‘conservative’ - abortion/euthanasia; marriage/family as central social institutions; right to life / duties

• 2 are debatable - peace; care for poor (I say debatable because - charity vs. politics / tax system)

• 2 can be cast as ‘liberal’ - stewardship of earth (even this could be debated as to underlying politics); workers dignity (this is really the only clear one - they call out unions, &c.)

My own experience growing up in the Catholic church was that the parishioners tended to be less liberal than the clergy (i.e., the publishers of those kinds of principles).

Catholic Church in the US divides since the division is becoming rather intense internally.

Interesting question… there is also another possible way it divides… there is a growing movement to cut priests out of the mix…

1 Like

And to complicate it even more there are various versions that add/remove items under the general principles. For example this is a similar version used in a place I frequent:

Life and Dignity of the Human Person –
All people are sacred, made in the image and likeness of God. People do not lose dignity because of disability, poverty, age, lack of success, or race. This emphasizes people over things, being over having.

• Call to Family, Community, and Participation –
The human person is both sacred and social. We realize our dignity and rights in relationship with others, in community. “We are one body; when one suffers, we all suffer.” We are called to respect all of God’s gifts of creation, to be good stewards of the earth and each other.

• Rights and Responsibilities –
People have a fundamental right to life, food, shelter, health care, education and employment. All people have a right to participate in decisions that affect their lives. Corresponding to these rights are duties and responsibilities to respect the rights of others in the wider society and to work for the common good.

• Option for the Poor and Vulnerable –
The moral test of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable members. The poor have the most urgent moral claim on the conscience of the nation. We are called to look at public policy decisions in terms of how they affect the poor.

• The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers –
People have a right to decent and productive work, fair wages, private property and economic initiative. The economy exists to serve people, not the other way around.

• Solidarity –
We are one human family. Our responsibilities to each other cross national, racial,
economic and ideological differences. We are called to work globally for justice.

• Care for God’s Creation –
The goods of the earth are gifts from God. We have a responsibility to care for
these goods as stewards and trustees, not as mere consumers and users.

1 Like

Actually… I shouldn’t say disagree… valid arguments both ways, to be clear.

1 Like

Evangelical Christians are political opportunists. I don’t think necessarily subscribe to the fundementals of poltical right or left… just whatever fits their agenda and gives them political leverage. I remember the Ron Paul movement in 2008 being relatively secular. Then in 2011 on up you’ll find the evangelicals talking about the constitution in one hand and the bible in the other while denouncing a few libertarian staples. It would not surprise me if the evangelicals see an opening to gain a foothold in the Democratic party as the Democratic party has contingent of conservative black and hispanic constiutents, along with the Catholic faithful among the Democrats.

Personal experience, some of the most loud mouthed Democrats that I have met in my life were actually religious Christians, and I am not talking about Christian on Sunday variety.

By the way those dudes in video are fucking moist as fuck.

Nah

You upset ?

Extremely angry! Ahhhhhhhhjh! You want these hands?!

1 Like

They were always borderline libs and full blown cucks

They’re very soy. You can tell they’re not Christians.

those men in that video are very strong and courageous, a good example of Christian Faith to be surrounded by FEAR and HATE yet stay true to the teachings of their faith and conviction…very strong in Spirit!

Nah. I just want to free America from the grip of bronze-age superstition.

When you give up the original orthodox doctrine and aschew religious scholarship, you are free to let your morality slide and say whatever you want appeal to whoever has the most money to give you. Evangelical Protestantism has no actual rules, other than if you believe in God, you are somehow “saved”.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought jerk!

Hey guys did you see me intimidate that jerk?! He didn’t want these hands! Hahaha!