Ever been a Black Belt and Switch Styles/Arts?

This was inspired from one of the other Martial Arts threads. Ever been a Black Belt and Switch Styles/Arts? I was a 4th degree old school Tae Kwon Do and I switched to Judo in 2001 and finally am up for a black belt after being on and off for the last 16 years.  Was it hard for you guys?  Did other instructors have a problem with your past or what you studied before?

I was a black belt in Judo, then I switched to Wang Chung and it was really fun.

Shotokan  1st dan

Then Zujitsu 2nd dan

Then Estacada  now instructor. 

No issues. 

I studied for 10 years and was a black belt in a very commercial McDojo kind of traditional Korean martial art. I am more proud of the two stripes on my bjj white belt.

got my black belt in judo in japan but only because there were no bjj schools where I was at the time 

diversity is good.  change can be fun. 

Black in Shotokan - 12 years, then BJJ for 14 after that. It was fun.

BigEyedFish -

got my black belt in judo in japan but only because there were no bjj schools where I was at the time 

You got a black belt in Japan? What was the situation?

Black belt in TKD - trained in that for 13 years , during which I got to Brown belt in Japanese July Jjitsu and did a little Boxing and Kyokushin

Then switched to mma/Bjj... The TKD high kicks and Karate low kicks worked well for me in mma... Loved Bjj but never got past white belt..

Two times ... first was as a black belt in a hard style of karate when i got into BJJ/MMA. People were very open about it ... as most had been where I was in their recent past. This was in 1998. (I had the benefit of also studying kickboxing and boxing to compliment my other style - so i brought a lot of striking to the gym)

second time was as a black belt in bjj going into judo. Most at the school were very open, but widely misguided about what would and wouldn't work on the ground. Took them a long time to open up to me .. but i didn't push it. Eventually they allowed me to help more directly with the ground fighting.

Overall, i had two great experiences. Not the same for all of my friends tho

Region Rat - 
BigEyedFish -

You got a black belt in Japan? What was the situation?

I lived there.  trained my balls off.  Kodokan Osaka.  It was quite a while ago.  

I was a red belt with a black stripe in taekwondo, started training Jujitsu and some guys would laugh at me cause they thought I was a mcdojo guy. Now I'm a purple belt in BJJ and I'm still proud of my taekwondo roots.

ferox - Black belt in TKD - trained in that for 13 years , during which I got to Brown belt in Japanese July Jjitsu and did a little Boxing and Kyokushin

Then switched to mma/Bjj... The TKD high kicks and Karate low kicks worked well for me in mma... Loved Bjj but never got past white belt..
July jitsu is tough I hear.

Yes.

Black belt in Kenpo Karate.

Started BJJ.

Black Belt in a very kickboxing/PKA oriented Karate under former PKA fighter Dan Magnus

Black belt in Kajukenbo

Purple Belt in BJJ 

I just like to train. I've trained in other stayles and arts multiple times as well Arnis, Wing Chun, Judo, etc.. Its all about just really learning and having fun while taking skills home with you.

I worked pretty hard with Dan Magnus to get belted under him in his Karate style and I worked VERY hard to get my BJJ Purple belt. 

Orange belt in Kung Fu when I was a 9.

Brown w/ Black Stripe in TKD when I was 16.

Switched to Muay Thai at 19 at my TKD instructor's suggestion. He saw I was getting frustrated by all of the stupid rules - he used to box.

Studied in several cities while I was following my day job's career path (LA, Raleigh, Chicago, Champaign, and San Francisco) and spent 6 months in Thailand at age 22.

Learned Boxing at 29.

Added Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling at 32.

Decent at striking, fast and flexible, but I'm the worst grappler on the planet.

I'm 37 as of a few weeks ago.

Should have started learning it decades ago.

It's fun as hell.

2nd dan old school TKD then unofficial 3rd in kickboxing (school changed owners mid testing phase and the new guy wanted more money so gubye). Then I did pancrase for a few years (no belts in that), some boxing, then bjj mid blue. Now yellow belt in aiki jutsu (that shit is savage)

I just like staying in the mat.

ChokeHisAss -

I was a black belt in Judo, then I switched to Wang Chung and it was really fun.

and now the song is in my head.

tonberry - Orange belt in Kung Fu when I was a 9.

Brown w/ Black Stripe in TKD when I was 16.

Switched to Muay Thai at 19 at my TKD instructor's suggestion. He saw I was getting frustrated by all of the stupid rules - he used to box.

Studied in several cities while I was following my day job's career path (LA, Raleigh, Chicago, Champaign, and San Francisco) and spent 6 months in Thailand at age 22.

Learned Boxing at 29.

Added Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling at 32.

Decent at striking, fast and flexible, but I'm the worst grappler on the planet.

I'm 37 as of a few weeks ago.

Should have started learning it decades ago.

It's fun as hell.
If u were 65 I would swear my dad figured out the OG

My dad got better at grappling. ..He is a one stripe black now

I was a Tae Kwon Do black belt. Saw Royce win UFC 1. Quit TKD, concentrated on wrestling and invested in the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Basics VHS tapes featuring Rorion and Royce. Shortly after found out one of the guys who got his TKD black belt with me (an older guy) was training with a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt at his martial arts and boxing gym. Started training there.

My fucking mind was blown watching those VHS tapes.