Ever heard of cable Co sabotaging satellite equip?

Anyone ever hear of cable techs sabotaging satellite equipment?

After going back and forth with a cable company on price over a bullshit quote from an independent salesman, I went ahead an scheduled an install for Friday. Signal sucked. To make a long story short a tech came this morning, I wasn't satisfied so I cancelled.

Went out to reconnect my satellite service that I hadn't cancelled yet and the bastard had cut my cable. Replaced it with one of my own, and got a error code. Code is result of a bad power inserter or LNB. Got me wondering how likely it might be for them to intentionally fuck up an LNB.

Yes they routinely cut the cord... maybe you should too.

attjack - Yes they routinely cut the cord... maybe you should too.
I can kinda see that might be easier to manage and a little faster, and while it's irritating as hell, I don't see that part as a big deal. But, if they're doing stuff beyond that which would require me call a satellite tech out....... We'll, that makes me want to call the cable guy back out just to kick his ass.

I worked in the satellite business for years and though cable guys purposely did that shit.  After working in cable I have realized satellite techs do it just as often. Disco a power feed for an amp or configure the splitter set up improperly.

Most likely he doesn't work for the satellite company, tried to fix it himself and fucked it up worse.

Also a lot of the cable used for satellite needs replaced when used for cable. There is usually not enough shielding and will fail ingress tests. Most companies have approved components that can be used, and I've never seen any satellite cable, fitting or ground blocks on an approved parts list for cable providers.

This just happened to me yesterday, walking up to my new place. I see a Comcast installer outside my building. My new neighbor must be getting comcast too, well the installer, new neighbor, and landlord are. Outside having a meeting of the minds so I go up and start talking with them.

First question from the tech, "you guyss don't have service do you?" immediatel red flag. "why yes we had it installed a few days ago."

tech:"sigh, ah well I just cut your line."

Now I have no real reaction, I have been working on my anger so I let it slide. I figure if he cut it, he can fix it and it shouldn't take longer than an hour to patch the cable or run a new one.

2 hours go by, I come outside as I am about to leave for some errands and the tech yells to me "is tomorrow in the morning or evening good for you?"

Hold up..

Now i confront him over his stupidity, he tried to lie and say that waste management cut the lines even tho he admitted earlier he did it himself, then said the tech that did my install did it wrong and the cable had too much feedback.

long story short supervisor comes out next day. get 3 free months, new line, seperate box, and that tech is going to get his ass chewed.

comcast things

good luck OP, incompetence transcends

The tech likely cut the line and used it to feed into your house rather than drilling another hole in your house.  

xDOMINANTGENEx -

I worked in the satellite business for years and though cable guys purposely did that shit.  After working in cable I have realized satellite techs do it just as often. Disco a power feed for an amp or configure the splitter set up improperly.

Most likely he doesn't work for the satellite company, tried to fix it himself and fucked it up worse.

Have no idea what it means to disco a feed but it sounds like a dickhead thing to do.

Sometimes satellite guys may disconnect the coax power feed to an amp that is used to boost signal, not intentionally, they may not know what it is used for. Just like a cable tech may accidentally disconnect a power inserter feed for your satellite system.

borked -

This just happened to me yesterday, walking up to my new place. I see a Comcast installer outside my building. My new neighbor must be getting comcast too, well the installer, new neighbor, and landlord are. Outside having a meeting of the minds so I go up and start talking with them.

First question from the tech, "you guyss don't have service do you?" immediatel red flag. "why yes we had it installed a few days ago."

Now I have no real reaction, I have been working on my anger so I let it slide. I figure if he cut it, he can fix it and it shouldn't take longer than an hour to patch the cable or run a new one.

2 hours go by, I come outside as I am about to leave for some errands and the tech yells to me "is tomorrow in the morning or evening good for you?"

Hold up..

Now i confront him over his stupidity, he tried to lie and say that waste management cut the lines even tho he admitted earlier he did it himself, then said the tech that did my install did it wrong and the cable had too much feedback.

long story short supervisor comes out next day. get 3 free months, new line, seperate box, and that tech is going to get his ass chewed.

comcast things

Majority of these techs must be sorry as fuck. Dude came to install at the very end of a 2hr appointment window the took four freaking hours do the install.

Was really just meant to explain that sometimes it may seem intentional, it isn't always

youarewhatiswrong -

The tech likely cut the line and used it to feed into your house rather than drilling another hole in your house.  

Nah, I think he cut it just to cut it. I originally had one line running in and a splitter under the house. This company though, requires all lines be run out of the house so he had to drill a hole anyway.

darren23372 -
borked -

Hold up..

comcast things

Majority of these techs must be sorry as fuck. Dude came to install at the very end of a 2hr appointment window the took four freaking hours do the install.

That's the trend these days. Our fiber installs take around 4 hours and that is just for internet service. Some of our bundles (fiber, whole home dvr and home security) can take 8 hours plus.

of course you may get the idiot sub contractor or bad in house tech who doesn't know his dick from his drill.

darren23372 -
borked -

Hold up..

comcast things

Yours wasn't the only appointment he had in that time frame, and how long do you think the install should have taken?  Have you done a lot of installs?

xDOMINANTGENEx -

Sometimes satellite guys may disconnect the coax power feed to an amp that is used to boost signal, not intentionally, they may not know what it is used for. Just like a cable tech may accidentally disconnect a power inserter feed for your satellite system.

I disconnected the power inserted myself and all the other satellite stuff before the guy even came. I'm guessing my LNB is now bad. Every heard of a cable tech screwing with LNBs? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth, but it wouldn't surprise me.

darren23372 -
youarewhatiswrong -

Nah, I think he cut it just to cut it. I originally had one line running in and a splitter under the house. This company though, requires all lines be run out of the house so he had to drill a hole anyway.

I guarantee at least one of the lines going into your house right now is the line that was originally the satellite feed.  The tech doesn't give a fuck if you go back to satellite, I promise.  If he cut it it was to make his job easier.

darren23372 -
xDOMINANTGENEx -

I disconnected the power inserted myself and all the other satellite stuff before the guy even came. I'm guessing my LNB is now bad. Every heard of a cable tech screwing with LNBs? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nope I've never heard of or seen a cable tech purposely fuck with satellite equipment. If there was no power to the LNB I don't see how it would ha e gone bad though.

youarewhatiswrong -
darren23372 -
borked -

Hold up..

comcast things

Yours wasn't the only appointment he had in that time frame, and how long do you think the install should have taken?  Have you done a lot of installs?

IDK. How long should it take? Couple of hours maybe? All the shit is already there to tie into. All he did was cut a few lengths of cable and put connectors on them. Then spent maybe 30min. Setting up the receiver.

darren23372 -
youarewhatiswrong -
darren23372 -
borked -

Hold up..

comcast things

IDK. How long should it take? Couple of hours maybe? All the shit is already there to tie into. All he did was cut a few lengths of cable and put connectors on them. Then spent maybe 30min. Setting up the receiver.

When I go to prewired homes to install our service some of the wires are normally bad. Ingress or noise, which causes tiling and intermittent internet service. Even in newer homes built last year. So I get it, sometimes they can take longer than expected. He should have at least let you know what he was doing, why he was doing it etc.

darren23372 -
youarewhatiswrong -
darren23372 -
borked -

Hold up..

comcast things

Reciever singular?  One television?  4 hours is pretty ridiculous if that's the case, unless there was a provisioning error on the account side, which puts the tech at the mercy of a faceless person on the phone.  You said he ran multiple lines into the house, that sounds like more than one television.  Did they sell you a security system?