Ever know a true Hoarder??

I always was mystified by the tv show. My ex mother in law was a true hoarder. No dead animals or anything but the entire garage full floor to ceiling with stuff. You’d see here house when the ex cleaned it up and it was almost normal and then 3 weeks later, boom , shit stacked up to the ceiling newspapers etc everywhere. When she would visit she would start nesting immediately leaving dirty or half used shit in less than 30 min. Definitely a true mental Illness. Anyone else have hoarder stories?

I used to have to clean places like that up when I worked for this company years ago. I agree, it has to be a true mental disorder. 

next door neighbor. he just got forclosed on so hes now gone

What is their response when confronted. They say they can't help it? Are they self aware?

My aunt bought a house from a person next to them who was a horder. They spent a long time cleaning all that stuff up, so gross.

Not sure if it counts as a "hoarder", but my uncle bought a house full of beer cans, TV's, and couches. The guy who lived there would sit on the couch, drink beer, and throw the cans on the floor until they piled up to the windows. Then he would go buy another tv and couch, and do the same thing in another room until the whole house was filled up. My uncle tore the whole house down to the studs when he bought it, and completely replaced all the flooring and drywall.

64FordF100 - Not sure if it counts as a "hoarder", but my uncle bought a house full of beer cans, TV's, and couches. The guy who lived there would sit on the couch, drink beer, and throw the cans on the floor until they piled up to the windows. Then he would go buy another tv and couch, and do the same thing in another room until the whole house was filled up. My uncle tore the whole house down to the studs when he bought it, and completely replaced all the flooring and drywall.
Holy shit man.

fastnotch331 - 
64FordF100 - Not sure if it counts as a "hoarder", but my uncle bought a house full of beer cans, TV's, and couches. The guy who lived there would sit on the couch, drink beer, and throw the cans on the floor until they piled up to the windows. Then he would go buy another tv and couch, and do the same thing in another room until the whole house was filled up. My uncle tore the whole house down to the studs when he bought it, and completely replaced all the flooring and drywall.
Holy shit man.

It's a nice house (now) in the country, close to a lake, and he got it for $1000 because of the condition it was in. If my uncle didn't buy it, it was pretty much going to be condemned and torn down. It sounds like a tall tale but he showed me pics of it from when he got it and it was exactly like he described. The guy literally piled beer cans from the floor to the bottom of the windows until there was no more room to walk, then just set up in another room.  Apparently he also quit paying the water and got it shut off, he dug down to the water line and hacked into it and rigged up some sort of outdoor shower.  Not sure what he did for a restroom, but I can imagine.  

They burned all the couches, gave all the TV's to my other uncle who is a scrapper, and I can't remember what he said he got from taking the cans to the recycling center.  I know it was multiple 97FordF150 bed's worth though.

Have some Ford gear printed and packed up for you, check your messages.

I work in the mental health/addictions/homelessness fields and have dealt with many hoarders.

Will post more later.

64FordF100 - Not sure if it counts as a "hoarder", but my uncle bought a house full of beer cans, TV's, and couches. The guy who lived there would sit on the couch, drink beer, and throw the cans on the floor until they piled up to the windows. Then he would go buy another tv and couch, and do the same thing in another room until the whole house was filled up. My uncle tore the whole house down to the studs when he bought it, and completely replaced all the flooring and drywall.

My next door neighbour, she locked herself out and I had to break in for her a couple of times, shit was crazy, junk everywhere! The sad thing was she had a young daughter, seemed like a good mum, but it must be hard growing up somewhere like that.

My stepmother when I was a child. Her father ran a junkyard on his property, and their family lived without electricity until the early 1980's. They had well water (a well in a junkyard, yeah) and basically lived in trash.

She carried that mentality into her own life. I lost track of my father (friendly way of saying it) when I was 9, reconnected when I was 20. I went to visit him for a few weeks, but did not stay at their place, which was always trashed. Newspapers and plastic bags everywhere, it was weird how she was fixated on these two particular items. Imagine four years worth of newspapers, every single day, and 2-3 papers per day. USA Today, New York Times, and whatever the local paper was. Plus every plastic bag from every shopping trip, ever.

She and my father went out of town for a weekend, so the girl I was dating and I went into their home and cleaned the common spaces. Took five truckloads of newspapers to the recycling station, and another truckload of plastic bags, which ought to be impossible. We shampooed the carpets, mopped the kitchen and bathrooms, cleaned all the surfaces (table tops, counters, etc). My girlfriend put a vase with flowers on their living room table.

When my father and his wife came home she went crazy. Threatened to kill me, then called the police to report the theft. THEFT. She was saving those papers and bags, because when you move you never know how much you'll need to wrap and store things. Y'know... plates and glasses and such. I had a cop show up at my girlfriend's place wanting to talk to us, and my girl was in tears. I showed him photos of the place before we cleaned it, and explained that we had done it as a surprise or gift for them. My father drove over later and apologized, but the damage was done. I left town a few days later, and didn't see him for another five years. Bitch is insane.

At their current home the garage is filled with plastic bags of clothes. Everything her six kids have ever worn or owned since the 1980's. Imaging around 100-150 trash bags of 30 year-old clothes. Obviously, the youngest is in her mid-30's. But you never know when you'll need those kids clothes! After all, there are grandchildren now...

ltr

Didn’t an OGer clean out an old mans house and rob him?

walbjj - What is their response when confronted. They say they can't help it? Are they self aware?
Everything is justification, it all has an emotional component, often bundled with trust and fear of loss issues. These folks are also often very isolated which just fuels the problem.

I've been in tons of these places, it's almost always very sad.

I forgot I rented a room and in the house next door was an older lady and her retarded son. He would occasionally come over beating like a maniac on our door to trying to get us to come over and help his mom up. I did on several occasions and it was beer cans piled up everywhere. No exaggeration, their garage was full nearly to the ceiling with empty beer cans. I eventually stopped going over because it was happening with regularity and her son was stronger than Brock on hgh. His mom just wanted the company.

My mother is one. Old newspapers, clothes, books. A big freezer full of stuff from the 80s. We only go over once a year for Christmas. Fun having Christmas dinner in a pigsty. Nothing we can do. We could clean it up but it would just happen again.

My aunt is a borderline hoarder if not full fledged. She was a surgeon, so at one point she was an extremely intelligent and hard-working woman. Had three high-end cars and a beautiful house. Used to take lots of nice vacations. But she was never able to find a healthy, long-term relationship. When her mother passed away she started filling the emptiness with rescue cats (and to an extent expensive home decor). 

She ended up at one point with something like 75 cats. They ravaged her house and made it unihabitable. The fumes from their waste caused some health issues which ultimately cost her her surgical license. She lost her practice. She also had like 3 storage units full of stuff that had to be thrown out or auctioned off. Now she is in a one bedroom apartment and has to be given a weekly budget for food/gas.

And she STILL had cats! She agreed to only have 2 per her lease but got warned for having five. The brain is a crazy thing.

Yep, a friend's mother.

You know those plastic bags that loaves of bread come in?  She had several of those bags.  But, each of those bags was filled with washed and neatly folded bread bags!  One bread bad will holds hundreds of neatly folded bread bags!

She did not throw anything away, if she could think of some possible future use for it.

LovinBakersBalls - My stepmother when I was a child. Her father ran a junkyard on his property, and their family lived without electricity until the early 1980's. They had well water (a well in a junkyard, yeah) and basically lived in trash.

She carried that mentality into her own life. I lost track of my father (friendly way of saying it) when I was 9, reconnected when I was 20. I went to visit him for a few weeks, but did not stay at their place, which was always trashed. Newspapers and plastic bags everywhere, it was weird how she was fixated on these two particular items. Imagine four years worth of newspapers, every single day, and 2-3 papers per day. USA Today, New York Times, and whatever the local paper was. Plus every plastic bag from every shopping trip, ever.

She and my father went out of town for a weekend, so the girl I was dating and I went into their home and cleaned the common spaces. Took five truckloads of newspapers to the recycling station, and another truckload of plastic bags, which ought to be impossible. We shampooed the carpets, mopped the kitchen and bathrooms, cleaned all the surfaces (table tops, counters, etc). My girlfriend put a vase with flowers on their living room table.

When my father and his wife came home she went crazy. Threatened to kill me, then called the police to report the theft. THEFT. She was saving those papers and bags, because when you move you never know how much you'll need to wrap and store things. Y'know... plates and glasses and such. I had a cop show up at my girlfriend's place wanting to talk to us, and my girl was in tears. I showed him photos of the place before we cleaned it, and explained that we had done it as a surprise or gift for them. My father drove over later and apologized, but the damage was done. I left town a few days later, and didn't see him for another five years. Bitch is insane.

At their current home the garage is filled with plastic bags of clothes. Everything her six kids have ever worn or owned since the 1980's. Imaging around 100-150 trash bags of 30 year-old clothes. Obviously, the youngest is in her mid-30's. But you never know when you'll need those kids clothes! After all, there are grandchildren now...

Was assisting a Lady whose psychiatrist requested asistance in cleaning her place or she would be evicted.

We worked with her for a month on getting stuff out but she had to go through everything before it went out and even then she wouldn't let much go. Meanwhile the Doc was helping her work through her issues.

Finally the landlord and fire dept was going to have her evicted and there were no more last chances. They didn't want to but they had to for the safety of others. You should have seen the stuff we found in there. It was as bad or worse than some you may have seen on the TV hoarders.

We found a mummified cat for f*ck's sake! Not like she bought it. It died in a pile of newspapers and ended up mummified.

So she and her psychiatrist met with our team and she and the fire dept pointed out what piles had to go and what was needed to pass inspection so she wouldn't be evicted. She signed an agreement to let it go.

She agreed to what would have to go and then left with the psychiatrist to talk about her issues while we, the landlord, and even the fire dept guy stayed and brought everything to 5 dumpsters. 5 dumpsters from a one bedroom apartment.

She returned and went ballistic. Called the police. The police showed up and we presented them with the written agreement and they left. So did we. She wanted all 5 dumpsters brought back to her place to go through.

She tried suing us, the fire dept, the landlord, and the Doc. The agreement saved us all. She stopped seeing the Doc as well. She claimed we got rid of millions of dollars worth of stuff.

About a year later we got a call again and it was her asking for help or she was going to be evicted.