Ever made a successful career change?

been doing what i do for almost 20 years and am completely bored of it but it seems like almost any career change will be a massive pay cut.  anyone ever make a hard right and change careers?  was reading the other day that cybersecurity is paying around $100k for entry level jobs and boot camps are getting people up to speed in just a few months.

i have an mba (i know, somewhat useless these days) but am willing to work on another degree or further my education.  anyone ever done it successfully?  what did you do?

ttt

Yep. Spent over a decade out of college as a social worker/case manager. Got fat, depressed and hooked on opiates. Quit that, left town and started over. Now a landscaping foreman, better shape, more money and work outdoors. Only shitty thing is the hours.

EFM - 

been doing what i do for almost 20 years and am completely bored of it but it seems like almost any career change will be a massive pay cut.  anyone ever make a hard right and change careers?  was reading the other day that cybersecurity is paying around $100k for entry level jobs and boot camps are getting people up to speed in just a few months.

i have an mba (i know, somewhat useless these days) but am willing to work on another degree or further my education.  anyone ever done it successfully?  what did you do?

I have read that many of those IT bootcamps are scams.  Their graduates aren't able to find jobs.

lol @ 100k entries

Sub

I went from loading munitions on a plane to fixing the the racks, rails and guns... Great fucking pay raise lol

In for info. Been in IT and web for almost 20 years. Lost the drive to stay current ages ago but did well switching to the web side of things. WordPress is making my job semi redundant and someday I will face the axe. No idea what I will do.

invalid - lol @ 100k entries

are you in cybersecurity?  job boards confirm this here in denver.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
EFM - 

I have read that many of those IT bootcamps are scams.  Their graduates aren't able to find jobs.

i'm sure a lot of them are, like anything else.  would probably go the traditional degree route (masters in IT).

EFM - 

are you in cybersecurity?  job boards confirm this here in denver.

a related field, yes

Quit my $22/hr 9-5 job to build furniture in my garage and sell it. Working half the hours for double the money and it's only been a few months.

SergeK did it. He does penetration testing and had basically no experience and landed a 100k job and documented it on here.

I was a drug dealer and grappling coach, and went back to my original career(welding/sculpture), and now make more.

Flaboy239 - Quit my $22/hr 9-5 job to build furniture in my garage and sell it. Working half the hours for double the money and it's only been a few months.

i wish i was artistic.  have two acquiantences that are artists and very successful.  their life seems really easy.  one's a perfumer.  he just mixes weird chemicals together til he has his formula then makes a 5 gallon drum of it.  sells it for $125-175/ oz.  he currently  has 5 fragrances.  he's hoping to sell to a big brand for a few million and fish for the rest of his life.

AlchemyIronworks - 
SergeK did it. He does penetration testing and had basically no experience and landed a 100k job and documented it on here.

I was a drug dealer and grappling coach, and went back to my original career(welding/sculpture), and now make more.

Serge got sought after certifications while already having tech experience. There is a huge difference between that and all the threads that are popping up like this is an easy gold rush right now.

Yes, tech is definitely booming - but these threads are all under the assumption that taking a 5 week Python class or getting Net+ is a ticket to this seix figgy gravy train. Seriously, there's like a thread every other week.

Sorry, OP - i didn't mean to come as a dick

invalid -
AlchemyIronworks - 

Serge got sought after certifications while already having tech experience. There is a huge difference between that and all the threads that are popping up like this is an easy gold rush right now.

Yes, tech is definitely booming - but these threads are all under the assumption that taking a 5 week Python class or getting Net+ is a ticket to this seix figgy gravy train. Seriously, there's like a thread every other week.

Sorry, OP - i didn't mean to come as a dick

no worries man.  i didn't read that much into it. 

i wasn't implying that i'd do one of those boot camps or that i'd even go into IT, just that retraining seems like it's probably necessary.  

EFM -
Flaboy239 - Quit my $22/hr 9-5 job to build furniture in my garage and sell it. Working half the hours for double the money and it's only been a few months.

i wish i was artistic.  have two acquiantences that are artists and very successful.  their life seems really easy.  one's a perfumer.  he just mixes weird chemicals together til he has his formula then makes a 5 gallon drum of it.  sells it for $125-175/ oz.  he currently  has 5 fragrances.  he's hoping to sell to a big brand for a few million and fish for the rest of his life.

Running a small business isn't as fun as you think. Scheduling, bookkeeping, dealing with people who all want their shit asap. It's also very easy to slack off when you work from home. One minute you're answering emails and the next thing you know you just watched a season of a show on Netflix lol.

Flaboy239 -
EFM -

Running a small business isn't as fun as you think. Scheduling, bookkeeping, dealing with people who all want their shit asap. It's also very easy to slack off when you work from home. One minute you're answering emails and the next thing you know you just watched a season of a show on Netflix lol.

i run my own business now.  just not really into it anymore (the industry/ work, i actually like running the business itself).

Social work to construction to business operations to social work to business operations to owning own business plus consulting.

Hope to never have a hammer in my hand again.

EFM -
Flaboy239 -
EFM -

i run my own business now.  just not really into it anymore (the industry/ work, i actually like running the business itself).

I would like it if I could run it but not provide all the labor as well. Or if I could just build and not have to run it. One or the other. Doing both sucks.