Ever made a successful career change?

I was an accountant and it sucked the life out of me.

Now I work with dogs and am working for a headhunter.

We'll see how it goes.

Currently a 3rd year Electrical apprentice but am considering switching after I get my ticket. Don't know if I can do this the rest of my life. 

MuaySteve - In for info. Been in IT and web for almost 20 years. Lost the drive to stay current ages ago but did well switching to the web side of things. WordPress is making my job semi redundant and someday I will face the axe. No idea what I will do.

You could switch to a programming field where things change slower. I was a web dev ~2000 and through a series of freelance and contracting jobs got into computer vision. 

At first I was more of the utility programmer, but then started working on the image analysis algorithms and stuff. That experience lead me to my current full time job doing machine control (CNC type machines with cameras and other sensors on them) using primarily c++.

The component I'm working on was has been in development for the last 10 years. Some of the code it's based on is 30 years old. The business is going to be based off this code for another 15-30 years. 

I can ride out into the sunset programming c++ in this environment if I want to. 

But I do spend a lot of time fantasizing about a career change too, lol. 

I've had three distinct careers. First, I was an army officer...in the infantry so I sure had no real job skills. I did, however, manage to get a nursing degree before getting my commission so I did that when I got out. I knew I didn't want to be a floor nurse forever and wanted to ft I to the "business" side of healthcare. I took a couple of jobs for less money (Medicaid pre-authorizations and then DME training) until I answered an ad for someone who had patient care experience and comfortable with IT. Unbeknownst to me, it was a project management job. I've been doing this for 10 years now and it's a good career and salary.

Ironworker, switched to the railroad. My earning potential is less, but my body appreciates it.

Anyone know where I could find cyber security boot camps in Canada?

Commercial saturation diver for 14 yrs. The bottom fell out with the oil crash. I knew it was coming. Took my last 10K and got a large crane operator license. Doing pretty good (not deep sea money but close) and not risking my life or living in a chamber. Plus I dont even have to deal with Louisiana trash anymore. I'm digging it

Region Rat - Commercial saturation diver for 14 yrs. The bottom fell out with the oil crash. I knew it was coming. Took my last 10K and got a large crane operator license. Doing pretty good (not deep sea money but close) and not risking my life or living in a chamber. Plus I dont even have to deal with Louisiana trash anymore. I"m digging it

Whats a saturation diver?

EFM -
Region Rat - Commercial saturation diver for 14 yrs. The bottom fell out with the oil crash. I knew it was coming. Took my last 10K and got a large crane operator license. Doing pretty good (not deep sea money but close) and not risking my life or living in a chamber. Plus I dont even have to deal with Louisiana trash anymore. I"m digging it

A very well paid commercial diver. They operate at extreme depths, and the bulk of their time on the clock is spent in decompression chambers.

AlchemyIronworks - 
invalid - lol @ 100k entries
SergeK did it. He does penetration testing and had basically no experience and landed a 100k job and documented it on here.

I was a drug dealer and grappling coach, and went back to my original career(welding/sculpture), and now make more.

Do you have a link to the SergeK thread or can anyone bump it, would love to read it.

IronHands -
EFM -

A very well paid commercial diver. They operate at extreme depths, and the bulk of their time on the clock is spent in decompression chambers.
All of our time is in the chamber. You live in it for 30 days at a time. You are "saturated" at the depth/pressure you'll be working at. You don't deco till the end.

Ironhands, it's basically a really good ironworker/rigger/pipefitter all in one job

Region Rat - Ironhands, it's basically a really good ironworker/rigger/pipefitter all in one job
What was your daily rate when you were in? I'm a big time rec/tec diver, and I've heard stories.

ltr

IronHands -
Region Rat - Ironhands, it's basically a really good ironworker/rigger/pipefitter all in one job
What was your daily rate when you were in? I'm a big time rec/tec diver, and I've heard stories.
First 100 days is 850
Then 950 until you hit 200
Then 1050

Tops out about 1100. The 20 year guys can get a little more but not much or guaranteed

The rates have dropped with the oil crash tho. It's about 850-950 now I think.

Hey Ironhands, are you a certified rigger? Want to work in Savannah Ga? 28hr 100 per diem. I need riggers with certs if you know reliable guys. I have months/yrs of work here.

Region Rat -
IronHands -
First 100 days is 850
Then 950 until you hit 200
Then 1050

Tops out about 1100. The 20 year guys can get a little more but not much or guaranteed

The rates have dropped with the oil crash tho. It's about 850-950 now I think.

that's pretty decent coin.  how many days can you typically work per year?

Director of Sales in Telco to Stuntman and shortly after fight choreographer

Now a stunt coordinator, submitted for Emmy's etc

I was the butt of jokes at the time leaving a cush corp job to be a stuntman in my early 30's