Ever Research Your Family History?

My sister did some research and found out some things I didn't know.  I always thought my grandparents were Catholic, turns out they were Presbyterian...whatever the fuck that is.  I'm surprised by that, turns out it's true.

My family has tried but because we are Irish and the Irish keep limited records or in the region we are from they do, not much is known. We are pretty certain our ancestors were cow farmers lol

I researched the male side (surname) of my family back to the late 1700's.

This is a vid on the history of my family I did when I was in highschool:

https://youtu.be/PcZCGMCDzbU

Sometimes there is a snake in the woodpile

Sultry Crockett - 

My sister did some research and found out some things I didn't know.  I always thought my grandparents were Catholic, turns out they were Presbyterian...whatever the fuck that is.  I'm surprised by that, turns out it's true.

Presbyterians are the ones that handle snakes and speak in tongues, fyi.

My dad did it recently. After 41 years of thinking i was of German decent he found out we are actually of Norwegian decent and have no German at all.

my mother is 1/2 white, making me 1/4 white ( the rest asian), the white side of my family were Germans who settled in the Philippines in the 1800s

they intermarried with other whites in the Philippines at the time, mostly Spaniards.....that side of my family tree has many branches filled with horrible people (some SS soldiers on the other side of the pond)...

people always assumed my mother was an Axis of Evil baby (german and japanese), with a german last name and "hapa" asiatic features

On my father's side, descended from a former President, signed the Declaration of Independence. Mother's side, Scottish clan, emigrated in the 1830's.

My father's family owned a FUCKTON of slaves. We have a county named after us, local the my family's branch. Civil War almost wiped us out.

My dad's wife got super into genealogy about 10 years ago. Pretty interesting.

Mostly it confirmed alot of family lore that my dad had always called bullshit on.

So on my dad's side it mostly Irish until a couple generations ago. I come from a long line of horse thieves and cattle rustlers, with a few lawmen sprinkled in. John Wesley Hardin is my great (great?) Uncle. Tied to the Doolin Gang.

On my mom's side you can trace it straight to Scotland. Her grandmother came west in the wagons, still have a couple of the trunks.

AnthonyWeiner - On my father's side, descended from a former President, signed the Declaration of Independence. Mother's side, Scottish clan, emigrated in the 1830's.

My father's family owned a FUCKTON of slaves. We have a county named after us, local the my family's branch. Civil War almost wiped us out.

LOL on my moms side Ulysses S. Grant is my great great great great grandfather or something .

My Family wiped out your family 

Zekolas - 
AnthonyWeiner - On my father's side, descended from a former President, signed the Declaration of Independence. Mother's side, Scottish clan, emigrated in the 1830's.

LOL on my moms side Ulysses S. Grant is my great great great great grandfather or something .

My Family wiped out your family 

If my ancestor hadn't been such an asshole, we'd all still be British.

Found out my family migrated to US via Canada first.  Got jobs in Detroit. 

I've done some. On my dad's side of my family, I can get to the late 1700s, and my ancestors being born in Virginia. On my mom's side, it traces back to Scotland (early 1800) and Lithuania (only great-grandparents, born in late 1800s).

I  did the 23 & me thing. I grew up thinking that I was part American Indian. Turns out not at all. I am 99% European with the majority being northern European. Except, I am .1% Yakut. I had never even heard of Yakut.

My godfather traced my dad's family back to the 1600s. Nothing too exciting...just standard working class English folk. About the most interesting thing was one of my great great great etc grandfathers going to jail for stealing a horse lol. Apparently my family also owned a pub up in Derbyshire somewhere that is still open today, would love to go and visit it one day.

My mothers cousin traced the lineage back to around the 1500s, e everything with birth and death certificates.
Last guy in the chain was some Catholic Spaniard that went to south America.

My Father's family (Mueller, Miller) came to the colonies in 1711 from a town in Germany called Steeg, which is up a little valley from the Rhine River. My Father's family were some of the founders of the Brethren Church, an off-shoot of the Baptists or "Dunkers". Interestingly, relatives on my Father's side of the family owned the Miller farms that were actually part of the Battle of Antietam during the Civil War.

From the Paternal line of my Mother's family (Pfaffenberger, Poffenberger, Puffenbarger, Puffenberger), they came to the colonies in 1733 from Ulmen, Rheinpfalz, Germany. I know that many of them were also part of the Brethren Church, but I also believe there are some Mennonites. The fun family scandal is that our branch of the family is descended from a woman who was shacking up with her sisters husband. I guess they all lived under 1 roof and he was knocking them both up. I understand that while this was a bit of a scandal, that kind of thing was happening in that era enough that it wasn't necessarily THAT scandelous. As it so happens, another farm that was part of the Antietam Battlefield of the Civil War was owned by the Poffenbargers.

The Maternal line of my Mother's family is rather interesting. We trace back to England in the 1400's. George Mason the First fled England to the Colonies in 1652 because he was on the wrong side of Cromwell's Rebellion and needed to get the hell out of dodge in order to keep his head. He set up shop in Virginia. His Great Grandson, George Mason IV happens to be one of the Founding Fathers of the USA. However, I'm not related to GM4. GM1 was married three times, and my family is descended from his other marriage to Frances Norgrave via his daughter, Sarah Mason.

I don't know exactly how this traces out, but apparently Jesse & Frank James (of the James-Younger Gang infamy) are also cousins through the Maternal line of my Mother's family. My Great, Great Grandmother was a James.

Gone back very far. Pretty amazing. Had an ancestry.com membership for awhile. You have to be practical when working on there though. A lot of times it will suggest "public" family trees other people have made to fill yours out once you go back 4-5 generations. Just make sure people are sourcing things properly. Census docs, birth certificates, etc.

Pretty amazing what you can find. Always thought one of my grandparents' parents came from Portugal when in reality they were from The Azores which is Portugal territory but definitely not the same as being from Portugal. Found loads of other cool shit too. Pretty sure Ancestry.com has free trials. Highly recommend it.

Im mostly Native on both sides.