Ever stop doing physical therapy for an injury...

...and notice that it feels way better?

Just noticing this rehabbing a broken ankle.

No. Rehabbing a bjj rotator cuff injury, and it fucking sucks whether i do the exercises or not

check this out 

Yes it will feel better just sitting doing nothing. Probably lose range of motion though. 

1 Like

After a few injuries I realized that you have to take an active role in the rehab process...find what helps you and do that, dont just blindly follow what a physical therapist tells you to do. Not every exercise is good for every body.  Find out what the goal of the particular PT routine is and then experiment with varying ways to achieve that goal.

For example, I was seeing a physical therapist for a knee injury. I was given a lot of lunging and single leg balance type exercises...nothing helped and the lunges in particular seemed to make things worse. Changed to doing step ups and doing eccentrics on a leg press machine and started making progress.  Bought a slant board and started doing slow squats on that. PT said it wouldnt help but it was a total game changer.  You know your body, take an active role in fixing it...a good PT will work with you to find what helps.

I have a one visit limit with rehab folks, acquired this rule after much experience with injuries.

Show me the exercises and I will do them on my own.

I will do more and push way harder than I would with a therapist.

Knee Dr. told me I would be one of those that never do recover if I wouldn't go to rehab.
Did a dance (poorly as I can't dance) for him at my 30 day visit.
Was at about 95% by then. Goal was to be at that point in 60 days.

Have recovered from 3 fairly major surgerys, all required rehab.

I went 3 times, once for each.

Recovering from a broken ankle myself. Had to have surgery.

I am the unlucky 10% who get a minor soft tissue infection/inflammation. I did everything they told me to do to keep it clean and then some.

Week 9 post surgery. I can walk a bit. I got 5 or 6 screws and a plate put in. Due to the infection I have to do about 3 days of IV antibiotics on an outpatient schedule. Go once a day, on day 2. Can't wait to get this damn thing out of my arm.

Happiness Bunny - 

I am the unlucky 10% who get a minor soft tissue infection/inflammation. I did everything they told me to do to keep it clean and then some.

Week 9 post surgery. I can walk a bit. I got 5 or 6 screws and a plate put in. Due to the infection I have to do about 3 days of IV antibiotics on an outpatient schedule. Go once a day, on day 2. Can't wait to get this damn thing out of my arm.

They keep the damn thing stuck in your arm the whole time?

Fuck...would much rather get a new needle poke each time.

Shit would drive me nuts.

Hope you recover soon.

Tore two ligaments in my ankle.

Had to go to a physical therapist a couple of times a week, but barely ever did the exercises she asked me to do at home.

Dryfly -
Happiness Bunny - 

Hope you recover soon.

Yep. I'm not on a constant drip or anything so I don't have the bag/rack. Just 15 minute sessions for a few days. They have it covered pretty good. I just have to be really careful not to bump it into stuff.

I am not a fan of needles. It took the nurse 7 attempts to find the vein the other day. Wasn't fun. So them saying I have to keep it in is bittersweet.

Hope it's out by Thursday. I have to coach a class that night.

Yeah I had a knee issue that I stopped going for. PT was shit and didn't do anything other than look to bill my insurance. Somehow a guy handing me a paper with five generic exercises on it is worth $1000 a session. 

Ill see a Physio or Sports doctor for diagnosis then figure out my own rehab. The average 4-6 week injury doesnt need multiple weekly follow ups. Scammers

Happiness Bunny -
Dryfly -
Happiness Bunny - 

Hope you recover soon.

Yep. I'm not on a constant drip or anything so I don't have the bag/rack. Just 15 minute sessions for a few days. They have it covered pretty good. I just have to be really careful not to bump it into stuff.

I am not a fan of needles. It took the nurse 7 attempts to find the vein the other day. Wasn't fun. So them saying I have to keep it in is bittersweet.

Hope it's out by Thursday. I have to coach a class that night.

7 attempts? Holy fuck, they are supposed to get somebody else after two attempts at most places. Some people are difficult, but damn lol