Evidence for Bravo's Theory?

Eddie says: "It's not what you wear that makes you, it's the way you actually grapple. "

So now we can end this debate. Gi or no Gi, Eddie's wise words transcend that debate.

Case closed.

ttt

Great thread. What if we reversed the question (Eddie or anyone else). What might happen if we train 75% no gi from day one and 25% with a gi. Just enoguh time in the gi to learn the collars, sleeves and breaking grips. Would this be an effective traiing method?
Adam

If you want to compete in gi tournaments, then you had better train with the gi. If you want to compete in no-gi, then it is best to train without the gi. As they say in the Army, train as you fight.

Crosstraining in one to succeed in the other couldn't hurt as long as you recognize their strengths and weaknesses. If you take the bad habits of one and apply it to the other, you will get smoked.

"Great thread. What if we reversed the question (Eddie or anyone else). What might happen if we train 75% no gi from day one and 25% with a gi. Just enoguh time in the gi to learn the collars, sleeves and breaking grips. Would this be an effective traiing method? Adam"

just let yourself enjoy gi training. you might actually "want" to do it. if you enjoy it you will get good at it and your whole game will excell.

"agree completely and have always felt the whole "gi makes you more technical" argument was nonsense.
I suspect other top grapplers feel the same way."

I agree. You get better at gi training with the gi, and it does help your no-gi training, but not to the extent of training entirely no gi.

So Eddie in 8 years of Gi training you never used the gi to your advangtage? never pulled on collar or held a belt? I am sure the gi provided some benefit.

train hard at grappling, get better. the gi is not the deal breaker.

I agree with Eddie

I laugh at all the people who try to create an argument as to which is better. Looks like trolling sometimes. They are both good but. With the influx of wrestlers into MMA and no-gi grappling that has taken place in North America in the last 10 years is evidence that Gi training is not necessary to become technichal or a submission expert.

At the seminar Eddie said he didnt hate the Gi he just didnt approve of the cult like training of use of the lapels and sleeves for setups and controlling the opponent. He said something like good grappling habits like controlling the opponent's limbs and head not his lapels or belt can transfer to both sports well.

I personally hate the Gi. Its slow and your wearing a noose around your neck for some spazz to lock a death grip on and hang from attempting to break your posture.

We might never have a Matt Hughes in MMA If the only school Matt went to learn MMA/grappling at said "Matt you gotta wear this big sweaty baggy jacket when you wrestle us so "WE" can control you better and make you a more technichal fighter" oh yeah no slamming out of the guard either" LOL

No Gi is fast, Gi is slower but artsy

both are beautiful to watch.

Greg Compton

"So Eddie in 8 years of Gi training you never used the gi to your advangtage? " Yeah, genius...that's EXACTLY what he's saying. Obviously, training in a Gi does not make you any smarter, judging by some of these comments.

For me, no-gi is way more fun as I don't particularly enjoy arm wrestling in slow motion or what have you. And since like 99% of the people here I don't get paid for grappling, I should be doing whatever is more fun.

LMAO @ Charles!!

Eddie:

Do you feel that no-gi is the future of grappling competition? Do you think the gi will become less and less popular, maybe fading out completely?

eddie are there 50 or so guys out there who tarin no gi only that are
sub machines as your prime example garcia apparently trains gi most
off the time?

maybe its just harder to submit no gi except for some talents like
garcia

jean jacque, nino and garcia all submision guys who tap people all
trained gi most off there life, wich submision guys didnt?

First off if your matches are slow in a gi then more than likely your doing something to help slow it down. My no gi matches are slower than my gi matches. You can argue all day long That gi will not help you in no gi, but that is just plain stupid. It is funny how someone can trian no gi for 2 years and then put on a gi against someone who has trained for 6 months and watch how bad they do. But take that 6 months guy and put him in a no gi match with the same guy and he will get beat but he will last longer.

It is more technical with a gi. Because in no gi you can sometimes stretch your arms out where you couldnt with no gi, because you have a chance of sliding out of a sub. For example sleeve controlling in a gi will help you in no gi by showing you how to control the wrist. It isnt the same with no gi to gi.

No gi is boring. It is usually about who sweats more and can slide out of stuff, or who is stronger. When in gi it is a more techincal fight. I am not saying that everyone or anyone will agree with me. This is what I believe and this has been my experience.

Watching alot of tournies I have seen more guys lay in pray in no gi than in gi. And that includes white belts to black belts. Because in no gi it is really just alot like wrestling with just a few submissions.

"I said that there are "very few Mundial competitors that finish their opponents at a high rate without the gi". I'm talking about SUBMISSIONS, not winning on points."Am I wrong? Is there really like 30 or 40 Mundial competitors out there that are tapping people out left and right without the gi? Name'em. "The reality is that there's 5 or less. "Once again, I'll repeat myself, I'm talking about SUBMISSIONS, not winning on points."Well, who are the 30-40 guys who trained strictly no-gi who are submitting everybody in top level no-gi competition?Your biggest win was tapping Royler in a no-gi tournament. But, that only came after you trained with a gi for 8 years.

i swear i'm gonna throw a fucking party for the UG if i ever find ONE eddie bravo thread where someone DOESN'T bring up weed..

"Your biggest win was tapping Royler in a no-gi tournament. But, that only came after you trained with a gi for 8 years."

and then got mauled by another gi grappler (leozinho)

Robf,

Come train at AKA in San Jose with Dave Camarillo who only trains gi but is just as dangerous gi-less. Ask anyone who has rolled with him, the techniques he teaches translates directly to Gi-less. His student Jon Fitch just beat Jake Shields Gi-less, by takedowns, former Purdue wrestler, but got his back and used some good JJ.

Defence is what saves your arse, you build good defence with the gi because there are more things to get got with and it is harder to move around, this I am sure even Eddie will agree with.

So why all the hate regarding the gi? Maybe you guys are anti gi because your defense is terrible and the easiest way to deal with it is to not wear the gi.

There is a difference between using the gi and relying on it, don't put all the points based pyjama grapplers in there with real Jiu Jitsu guys that train both with and without the gi. BTW there are plenty of no gi guys that are no better than points based panty grappling champions, the type of training dosn't make the difference, it is as Eddie said the person that makes the difference.

Dave.