Excercises For Posture?

nowaydo - You really have to use weights or some intense resistance, because you are trying to even or balance your muscles. So, there is an aspect of strength training and muscle building of your weak areas.

I disagree, I have fixed mine without weights. I think it depends upon what your postural issues are, but I emphasised actually sitting with good posture (this more of a habit and remember thing) plus lots of stretches and massage during the adjustement phase.

A rather simple measure i took did wonders for my bad posture. I stood sideways on to a mirror and looked at my posture, then experimented with slightly different ways of holding my hips or shoulders to see if they helped.

When i pushed my hips forward my entire trunk straightened out a lot, so i just consciously pushed my hips forward as i was walking around for the rest of the day. It felt weird, like i was thrusting my groin as i was walking, but nobody seemed to notice and i could feel my hip flexors stretching every time i took a step. After a few hours i stopped feeling the stretching, and my posture seems to have noticeably improved.

Look into Michael Jen (BOLO) that posts here. He is a Muscular Balance and Posture Therapy coach.

Amazing results for me.

Alexander technique Phone Post

HULC - A rather simple measure i took did wonders for my bad posture. I stood sideways on to a mirror and looked at my posture, then experimented with slightly different ways of holding my hips or shoulders to see if they helped.

When i pushed my hips forward my entire trunk straightened out a lot, so i just consciously pushed my hips forward as i was walking around for the rest of the day. It felt weird, like i was thrusting my groin as i was walking, but nobody seemed to notice and i could feel my hip flexors stretching every time i took a step. After a few hours i stopped feeling the stretching, and my posture seems to have noticeably improved.

Good stuff! I found the same thing worked for me. I also do this a after my workouts:

Lay on your stomach with your arms to your side; now lift your arms up of the ground and while keeping them straight move them from your side to the front until your thumbs touch and then back again - like a reverse snow angle.

Try to keep your head and chest up so you're flexing(kinda like a middle/lower back crunch)your back and repeat the motion for 20-40 controlled reps. You can always add some wrist weights and/or light dumbbells to the equation.

Someone else mentioned on another thread how they wear string around their wrist to remind them to straighten up their posture; i like that idea. We seem to slouch our way about the mundane parts of our day and it might take some time to simply retrain ourselves to roll our shoulders back and stand up straight.