Experienced bowlers on the OG?

Picked up a second job working at the local bowling alley. Would love to get into bowling. Any tips and tricks? Ways to pick out the right ball?

Btw. We use the standard house oil pattern for the lanes. So I won't have to worry about changing oil patterns. Phone Post 3.0

Dont bother with a spin on the bask unless you can throw a 14lb ball at 14mph with your curve... The rule of 14s. someone can bowl well throwing slower or using a lighter ball, but it's typically more beneficial to aim true and concentrate on that before attempting to curve the ball

The main thing is to line up in the same place, on the same board every time. Aim for the marking arrows on the lane instead of the pins. It's much easier to hit your mark at 10' out as opposed to 60'... Concentrate on rolling over the same mark every frame.

Once you've got down the trajectory of your throw, adjust your placement of your feet and/or your aiming marker until you are hitting the pocket. Make small adjustments, like 1 board at a time and roll a couple frames to get a feel for where it's going... Adjust another board or so until you hit that mark consistently

Once youre hitting the pocket, just keep it up and practice a bunch. Picking up spares is the same thing. Aim for the arrows instead of the pins and after you've played for a bit you'll know where to aim and stand for picking up the spares.

Concentrate on your form. Fluid, smooth throws and keep them consistent. If you can keep your throws consistent and not try adjusting too much too quickly (a lot of beginners major problem) you'll figure out your throws and be able to make the small adjustments necessary

Most importantly, have fun! Frustrated bowlers always roll like shit

14lb ball that fits your hands comfortably, dont go lighter but if youre throwing it over 18mph often grab a 15lb. Both are good beginning weights for an average guy Phone Post 3.0

kkmmnn - Dont bother with a spin on the bask unless you can throw a 14lb ball at 14mph with your curve... The rule of 14s. someone can bowl well throwing slower or using a lighter ball, but it's typically more beneficial to aim true and concentrate on that before attempting to curve the ball

The main thing is to line up in the same place, on the same board every time. Aim for the marking arrows on the lane instead of the pins. It's much easier to hit your mark at 10' out as opposed to 60'... Concentrate on rolling over the same mark every frame.

Once you've got down the trajectory of your throw, adjust your placement of your feet and/or your aiming marker until you are hitting the pocket. Make small adjustments, like 1 board at a time and roll a couple frames to get a feel for where it's going... Adjust another board or so until you hit that mark consistently

Once youre hitting the pocket, just keep it up and practice a bunch. Picking up spares is the same thing. Aim for the arrows instead of the pins and after you've played for a bit you'll know where to aim and stand for picking up the spares.

Concentrate on your form. Fluid, smooth throws and keep them consistent. If you can keep your throws consistent and not try adjusting too much too quickly (a lot of beginners major problem) you'll figure out your throws and be able to make the small adjustments necessary

Most importantly, have fun! Frustrated bowlers always roll like shit

14lb ball that fits your hands comfortably, dont go lighter but if youre throwing it over 18mph often grab a 15lb. Both are good beginning weights for an average guy Phone Post 3.0
VU. I took a screenshot for future reference. Are there any major disadvantages to using a 12 pound ball? Phone Post 3.0

It just doesn't have the weight to make those pins explode.. When it hits the pocket at 17mph compared to a 14lb ball theres a world of difference. The 14 will cause the pins to bombard into each other with greater force and help clear the lane. When a 15lb hits at 17mph the pins usually clear out entirely, just explode entirely off the lane.. A 12lb ball will usually leave a bunch rolling around on the lane and just doesn't create the chaos needed down there

This was all shit I learned from ther coaches in league, but I haven't rolled league in like 10 years. I usually go a couple times a month now and all these rules still apply

If you work at a lane and enjoy it, a $150 ball that is drilled to your hand is a sound investment, something that can last a lifetime and improve your consistency a lot Phone Post 3.0

The biggest things are line your feet up on the same board every time and roll over the same marker every time. Make small 1 board adjustments and roll a few frames before adjusting again. Consistency, smooth and fluid throw, and dont go too light on the balls Phone Post 3.0

kkmmnn - It just doesn't have the weight to make those pins explode.. When it hits the pocket at 17mph compared to a 14lb ball theres a world of difference. The 14 will cause the pins to bombard into each other with greater force and help clear the lane. When a 15lb hits at 17mph the pins usually clear out entirely, just explode entirely off the lane.. A 12lb ball will usually leave a bunch rolling around on the lane and just doesn't create the chaos needed down there

This was all shit I learned from ther coaches in league, but I haven't rolled league in like 10 years. I usually go a couple times a month now and all these rules still apply

If you work at a lane and enjoy it, a $150 ball that is drilled to your hand is a sound investment, something that can last a lifetime and improve your consistency a lot Phone Post 3.0
Looks like it's time for me to pull up my man pants and use something heavier than 12 pounds. Phone Post 3.0

I bowled leagues when I was 10-12 years old. We had an 8 year old kid join our team my last year (when I was 12). Tiny little dude, whose his dad was a semi-pro bowler. This little fucking kid averaged in the 190's.

About 20 years later, I was starting to bowl again, and was having a ball drilled for me. I mentioned bowling with an 8 year old who bowled 190's, and remembered the kids name - turned out the guy drilling the ball knows the guy, and he still bowled. After all those years, his average was low 200's.

Take some lessons. Have him watch you throw and help pick out a ball. Had a guy join our work bowling team who averaged around 130. He the kind of guy that gets really into something and only focuses on it. He took some lessons, got a good ball and a spare ball and is now averaging a little over 200. This was all within a couple months.

Biggest thing is be consistent with your approach and throw. Doesn't really matter what kind of ball you get if you don't throw it consistent then you'll never be able to consistently hit your spot.

Lot of consistents in there Phone Post 3.0

Contrarian Conformist - I used to know a guy who was pretty good. He won some big tournaments and was about to turn pro. Unfortunately he got in with some bad people. He lost a hand in an 'accident' one night. Guy was never the same and quickly dropped off the grid. Last I heard he was living with an alternative community trying to connect with nature.
King pin Phone Post 3.0

Well. After two days of working at a bowling alley. I hate people. A lane breaks down and they act like we did it on purpose because we hate them Phone Post 3.0

I suppose incorrect use of the word "etiquette" could be a viable reason for a VTFD.. Phone Post 3.0

Mirko Troll Cop - I suppose incorrect use of the word "etiquette" could be a viable reason for a VTFD.. Phone Post 3.0
Wrong thread.. not sure how that happened Phone Post 3.0

Had a friend whose dad was super good averaged 230 a game even hit a perfect game once. Phone Post 3.0