Explain intermittent fasting to me

From what I gathered, it’s basically skipping breakfast, eating a small lunch, and have a large dinner? So:

Breakfast: nothing

Lunch: sandwich

Dinner: ribs with potato salad and bread

Basically it’s just a set period of time where you don’t eat, typically 16 hours a day so most people skip breakfast, Once you’ve broken the fast it’s irrelevant what your eating/when you eat it so you could have a big lunch small evening meal, 2 meals the same size, 3 smaller meals etc it’s the 16 off 8 on window that’s important.

That’s what I’m thinking. Wouldn’t be better if you just evenly spaced out your calories throughout the day?

Besides the weight loss benefits, I was interested in the loss of senescent cells. From what I read, apples, cucumbers and strawberries also perform this function so it’ll be interesting to see if a change of diet has the same effect without needing to fast.

Is that from another pop-diet book?

The benefits are that your kidneys get a rest. They’re not meant to work non-stop for 60 or 90 years.

Also if you do this, supposedly your body starts cannibalizing off weak cells. If you fast for a day a week on top of the 16 hours a day, people have reversed Alzheimer’s disease this way and slow ed cancer down considerably.

One OGer stated that after 6 months of this he got a lot mentally sharper and Alzheimer’s runs in his family so that was a big thing for him.

It works some for me as I don’t like eating small meals all day, I would rather eat one big meal and one small one. but I can’t seem to lose weight now, no matter what I do so I’m going to step it up. Fasting and exercise should make me lose weight but my subcutaneous fat under my stomach muscles just isn’t going away. Maybe getting old is just hard

You skip some meals

you’re welcome

Stop eating so much. That’s it.

ya. getting old. fasting not working for me like it used to. when i started i went from 215 to about 185 fasting. quit fasting for a while got back to 215, then this year started fasting again and got to 203 and that’s it. can’t get below it. same thing as fat that used to disappear quickly now stick around. need to get back to working out regularly i think.

IF (intermittent fasting) is simple - don’t eat for a period of time. Eat for a period of time. Rinse & repeat.
There are a metric fuck-ton of different variations. One popular one is 16/8 (don’t eat for 16 hours, eat all your calories in an 8-hour window). 20/4 is decently popular. OMAD (one meal a day) is as well, where you’re only eating one large meal per day.
Brad Pilon (one of the first to write about IF along with Ori Hofmekler) has his “Eat Stop Eat” method which is different - you basically fast for 24 hours, spread across two calendar days, 1-2x/week. So if you were eating 3 meals a day, you might have breakfast & lunch on Monday, skip dinner on Monday, skip breakfast & lunch on Tuesday, then resume eating with dinner on Tuesday. The advantage here is that you’re getting the benefits of a 24-hour fast, but never going one full calendar day (i.e. - from when you get up to when you go to sleep) without eating, so it tends to be psychologically easier to stick to.
There are a bunch of benefits as far as giving your kidneys / digestive system, etc a break. There are also hormonal benefits (including an increase in GH). Personally, I think the vast majority of that shit is greatly overblown for most people.
The main benefit to IF is that it gives people a psychologically easier way to restrict calories, which then leads to weight (fat) loss.
Take Pilon’s method I outlined above. Do that 2x/week and you’re dropping your total weekly caloric intake by roughly 30%. You’re going to lose weight.
Take something like OMAD. Calorie restriction doesn’t work for a lot of people because they never get satiated and eventually, getting “hangry” takes over. By putting all your calories in one meal, yes, not eating all day might suck at first (doesn’t take long to get used to it), but you have a massive, satisfying meal waiting for you at the end of the day. This lets you lower calories while still getting full, which means you’re more likely to stick with the plan more consistently & longer.
That’s why IF “works” for so many people.

2 Likes

Check out Dr Jason Fung for IF then read Eric Berg for Keto.

IF is a lot easier when you get the right nutrients. Stay away from sugar.

Another benefit of IF is that you are not hungry all of the time, just some of the time. When I would die before and have three meals a day, they were small meals and I was hungry all of the damn time. Now if I’m hungry, I just have to wait until meal time and then I’m fine

i noticed that too. after i break my fast and eat, i am usually not hungry until supper.

zero cravings for food after supper.

I have been skipping breakfast and lunch most days for over a year now. You get used to it. My body just gave up being hungry during the day.

It works. Fasting in general is huge, and very good for your body. Essentially food on demand is a new thing… for thousands of years humans went hours or days without food on a regular basis and our bodies are tuned to that cycle via natural selection. It helps a wealth of things according to the medical studies I have read including (but not limited to): increased mental focus and memory, improved blood pressure and resting heart rate, increased physical performance, prevention of diabetes and obesity and reduced tissue damage during surgery. I believe most of the benefits are driven by liver enzymes.

I personally start eating at noon (black coffee before) and stop at 8pm. This gives me a 16 hour fast daily. I’ve been doing it for more than a year since reading the research. I definitely feel healthy and perform at a high level. My body adjusted to the schedule relatively quickly and I still do heavy exercise in the morning without issue.

Definitely highly suggest it.

Every person fasts everyday of their life, when they sleep. The word breakfast literally means to break the fast. I have never seen the point in fasting any more than necessary. If you are hungry then eat. Your body is telling you it needs food.

I’ve been eating once a day in the evening for the last 5 months or so and I’ve lost 45 lbs. I feel great and have plenty of energy during the day. Works for me right now.

1 Like

I’m with you on Fung. You lost me on Berg, lol.

One thing on not being hungry after eating… I noticed this too.

I think a lot of people doing 16-8 (2 meals), OMAD and 24 and 48 hour fasts tend to eat a lot healthier when they break their fasting than when they are eating 3-5x a day eating the standard american diet with lots of processed carbs.

When I do 16-8, OMAD, or 24 hour fasts I then eat healthy fats, lean meats/fish, fruits and green vegetables and beans. Fullness is there without getting crazy on calories. Meanwhile I can eat 2x the calories eating 4x a day and get hungrier due to eating sugar, breads, etc…

Fasting is also much easier after eating lots of healthy fats, lean protein and fiber instead of stuff with white flour, sugar etc…

“The word breakfast literally means to break the fast”

Oh, no kidding?!

“If you are hungry then eat. Your body is telling you it needs food.”

Which is what all the obese people out there are going by for their habits, in general. Doesn’t seem to work out so well does it?

Let those who’ve actual experience with IF share some knowledge, if you don’t mind. There’s very good stuff here.

2 Likes