Explain the speed bag to me?

I've never really worked with one. Would I benefit?

More about me - recreational fighter with a karate-boxing-kickboxing background. Not competing.

Most boxing experts (?) I've talked to say speedbag is a waste of time and doesn't do anything except maybe condition your shoulders so you can hold your arms up.

But funny thing, almost all or all pro boxers learned to use one even the heavyweights, who have such big arms they don't hold them up that much.

I don't think it teaches you rhythm or timing or anything. But if you do choose to learn it, be sure you adjust the height or stand on a platform so it's the right height, and consider getting your own bag.

Right on. Was re-reading Dempsey's book and he advises making two rounds part of a boxer's regular routine for speed I guess.

WidespreadPanic - Most boxing experts (?) I've talked to say speedbag is a waste of time and doesn't do anything except maybe condition your shoulders so you can hold your arms up.

That's the main benefit I saw.

As a beginner you get tired pretty quickly from holding your arms up and you tend to drop them. Working on the speed bag seemed to develop endurance in the shoulder muscles so that this didn't happen after a while.

Ya know, I've never used a double end bag either. You work it like the heavy bag excet with more snap and finesse, right? And didge on the backbounce?

It's probably not a complete waste of time, but close to it.

First link.

Second link.

To me it seems the speed does for the hands what the jump rope does for the legs. Neither seem necessary however both seem to do the job in terms of rhythm and coordination develoment.

Oh, interesting. Thanks.

If you watch some of the older fighters, they used to even land hooks and uppercuts on the speedbag in the middle of a routine. Not sure how applicable that is to actually boxing, but as a demonstration of timing and accuracy it's still impressive.

ttt

martinburke - Ogami, I was taught by my uncle(my SN) who was one of Dempsey's sparring partners.

WTF? Troll!

Nah, U4. You new to this forum?

Are you serious? This clown is running about saying his uncle was Jack Dempsey's sparring partner? Yeah, whatever.

If you believe this troll then start asking him something about boxing history... I'll bet he knows fuck all.

Well, I've got to find some way of passing the day.

U4EA - Well, I've got to find some way of passing the day.

My uncle the priest once gave Rocky Marciano Communion. Bite on that!

Pair of little fucking fraudsters, aren't you guys?

martinburke - Maybe you could start a thread on how Amir Khan is the second coming of George Chuvalo. It was inspiring the way he waded through the heavy artillery of Kotelnik and continually pressed forward...almost WladK-like in his bravery.

Or maybe you could shove a loaf of wheat bread...into the orifice of your choice and see how long it takes before you finally realize that Mike Tyson is the greatest of all time.

Did you see the Khan fight? I wasn't impressed. It looked like a guy who isn't really suited for boxing brilliantly disguising this by using athleticism.

What you been reading the gluten thread you sneaky fucker?

BTW, what's your opinion of this recipe? I figure your are the best person to ask given your background and the fact that you seemed to spend more time eating than training.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/4527/tasty-cajun-chicken.html

I kinda feel like a dick when criticising Khan but I think he's on a knife-edge the whole time. He can win every round against a reasonable opponent but once he fights someone decent, he's going to get broken up pretty quick I think.

I think I am going to get into this Cajun cooking. I've always loved cooking but I've not tried much Cajun recipes before.

Thanks dude. I'll get right on that shit the first opportunity I get.