Explain to me how the ACA will help the poor.

Im a full time college student. I live off of student loans at the moment and its quite easy because before I went back to school I payed off my house in full. Aside from tuition I live off of about 500 dollars a month. It is a very spartan lifestyle but I am fine with it. I dont have cable/use a prepaid phone ect.

I am young and healthy at the moment. It costs me 160 dollars max a year to see my doctor for check ups/antibiotics on the off chance I get sick enough to need them.

If I got in an accident or very sick my county offers a gold card with outstanding life saving care free of charge. Medicaid is also available in the off chance of a calamity. On top of this there are several religious based hospital programs such as sisters of mercy ect.

I was finally able to compare plans on the ACA website and the cheapest plan (which is an absolutely horrible plan) is 315 dollars a month.

There is no way in hell I will ever pay this.

And beyond that even if we do develop cancer or some other horribly expensive medical issues in the future, we just start paying for insurance then. Why pay for what we don't need. Phone Post

alkysmurf - 

And beyond that even if we do develop cancer or some other horribly expensive medical issues in the future, we just start paying for insurance then. Why pay for what we don't need. Phone Post

There are local government safety nets set up for people who develop cancer and cant afford life saving care. On top of that there are charity based organizations like sisters of mercy who operate on money that is given willfully given out of kindness, as opposed to stolen in the form of a tax.

I just dont get why liberals are champions of the ACA. It is not going to help the poor.

You young people are paying for the elderly under Obumercare.

You're the main crutch of the whole system. .FORCING YOUNG HEALTH PEOPLE TO BY INSURANCE YOU DON'T NEED, IN TURN GIVING YOUR INSURANCE DOLLARS TO PAY FOR THE OLD PEOPLE.

i'm 33 and i just found a plan for >$92 per month if i pay yearly. did you, like, tell them you smoke three packs a day or something?

and i included the dental option, btw.

btw, all you shits who didn't just want a single payer option can suck it. we could have had "free" care far superior to the ass raping these for-profit insurance racketeers have been giving us for decades, now -- and for less of a tax burden than these goofy premiums for useless care.

but, noooooooooooo, it's every man for himself! we're rugged individuals!

Peeixes - 

i'm 33 and i just found a plan for >$92 per month if i pay yearly. did you, like, tell them you smoke three packs a day or something?

Nope. I dont smoke. Thats pretty much the only question that was asked during the plan portion. Cheapest plan was 315 a dollar bronze that covers 60% of doctors visits. That would by far be the worst insurance for the most money that Ive ever had. My income couldnt be any lower as well.

Letmewildeachitbro - 
Peeixes -

Shit just got real Phone Post 3.0

Did it?

Ham and Egger - 
alkysmurf - 

There are local government safety nets set up for people who develop cancer and cant afford life saving care. On top of that there are charity based organizations like sisters of mercy who operate on money that is given willfully given out of kindness, as opposed to stolen in the form of a tax.

I just dont get why liberals are champions of the ACA. It is not going to help the poor.

There's plenty of people with chronic diseases like cancer who can't get care. Don't kid yourself that you go and see the local nuns or that you will be covered by local government programs.

also, if you live on $500/mo and you're a student, you should actually qualify for whatever state medicare program they have. if you're paying any student loan interest as you go, that can also be deducted from your calculable income.

banco - 
Ham and Egger - 
alkysmurf - 

There's plenty of people with chronic diseases like cancer who can't get care. Don't kid yourself that you go and see the local nuns or that you will be covered by local government programs.

You have no idea what youre talking about. I have used these programs before. I see people every day that use these programs.

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer in November. Her husband died last year and she had nothing. She came and lived with me and everything was payed for by the county. They removed a 10 cm tumor from her ovary and have been doing chemo for 6 months for 0 dollars. She is almost completely cancer free now.

I was in EMS for 8 years. Now I volunteer in one of the best hospitals in the largest medical center in the world. There are people just like her all over the place and none of them needed the ACA.

Peeixes - 

also, if you live on $500/mo and you're a student, you should actually qualify for whatever state medicare program they have. if you're paying any student loan interest as you go, that can also be deducted from your calculable income.

Texas does not provide medicare for healthy adults and Im fine with that.

Ham and Egger - 
Peeixes - 

you're both upset that your government is making you buy healthcare AND pleased that they aren't helping subsidize the costs? that's hardcore.

Ham and Egger - 
banco - 
Ham and Egger - 
alkysmurf - 

You have no idea what youre talking about. I have used these programs before. I see people every day that use these programs.

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer in November. Her husband died last year and she had nothing. She came and lived with me and everything was payed for by the county. They removed a 10 cm tumor from her ovary and have been doing chemo for 6 months for 0 dollars. She is almost completely cancer free now.

I was in EMS for 8 years. Now I volunteer in one of the best hospitals in the largest medical center in the world. There are people just like her all over the place and none of them needed the ACA.

How old is your mother?

HardWorkPersonalAccountability - just saw you are in Texas

do you know what subsidies you can qualify for?

Well the site is jacked but I entered everything in and I figured that the prices they gave me would have calculated any subsidies. Is that not the case?

banco - 
Ham and Egger - 
banco - 
Ham and Egger - 
alkysmurf - 

How old is your mother?

51. She used the county gold card system until her medicaid became available. In Texas adults can get medicaid if they are sick or in an accident.

honest question: is the site jacked, or are you opposed to this law on principle and are making all this up/gaming it to give an unfavorable result?

i can't speak to your state, but i'd never even thought about applying until i saw this thread, got through the process in its entirety in less than ten minutes, and then reported my findings. i can't imagine your "republic" has that much worse of a site.

and, yes, in my case, i had to opt in to subsidies. [edit - for which i don't qualify]

Peeixes - 
Ham and Egger - 
Peeixes - 

you're both upset that your government is making you buy healthcare AND pleased that they aren't helping subsidize the costs? that's hardcore.

I could get medicaid if I became sick or hurt. Otherwise I pay out of pocket for doctors visits and its very affordable. I am upset that the government is trying to force me to pay for some that is worse than what I (and any other poor person in my area) currently have.

Say at my $60 dollar doctor visit he found a giant tumor. I would go to the county hospital (which is kind of a nightmare because its flooded with illegals) and eventually (possibly 24 hours later) they would start imaging. They would then start the surgery procedures (knowing that I am completely broke). While recovering for surgery the paperwork for my local government coverage.

Peeixes - 

honest question: is the site jacked, or are you opposed to this law on principle and are making all this up/gaming it to give an unfavorable result?

i can't speak to your state, but i'd never even thought about applying until i saw this thread, got through the process in its entirety in less than ten minutes, and then reported my findings. i can't imagine your "republic" has that much worse of a site.

and, yes, in my case, i had to opt in to subsidies. [edit - for which i don't qualify]

Haha. I have been working at it for two weeks. I encountered tons of problems. Links that dont work. Freezing. Blank pages. Pages not loading properly. Im almost in disbelief that you finished it in 10 minutes and got a reasonable quote to be honest. I never saw any place to opt in for subsidies.