Faber vs. Assuncao

When Raph first told us he was moving to the WEC, this was the fight I immediately thought of. Raph was pretty humble but he can definitely hang with Uriah...

1 each going into the 3rd imo.

I've got it 1-1, although Faber won his round a lot more convincingly. 

Round 2 - Faber with a low kick that scores, then a front kick that misses. Faber shoots in and wrestles Assuncao to the floor in a scramble. Assuncao tries for a lock and pulls guard. Faber lands a few right hands while Assuncao maintains a closed guard. Assuncao opens the guard, and scrambles, but Faber grabs a guillotine choke. Assuncao rolls free, but Faber maintains the headlock. Assuncao continues to scramble and pulls away. Assuncao lands a kick, and Faber now very confident with his hands by his side. Faber lands a right. Halfway through the round. Left hand bu Assuncao. Faber lands a right hand and Assuncao drops. Faber rushes in to follow. Assuncao quickly recovers, and he pulls guard. Faber lands a nice elbow on top. Assuncao works an open guard and turns his hips. There's not much room against the cage, and Faber maintains the top position. Assuncao tries to walk his legs up, but he can't secure the arm. Assuncao throws a few short elbows underneath. Faber scramble to the back of his kneeling opponent, but Assuncao controls the left arm and prevents the choke. Assuncao stands and delivers a few quick punches as time expires.

1 each imo.... but it wouldnt surprise me if raph got screwed out of the 1st

FML = Ha! Love that site.

victorpoprock -  Who's the guy in the ski mask and gloves sitting next to Reed Harris?

Kinda caught me off guard.  I had to look twice.

guess it didnt matter anyway

Round 3 - Crowd roars as the final round begins. Assuncao opens with a low kick. Assuncao throws a few kicks. Faber shoots in and takes the fight to the floor. Assuncao scrambles and they work back to the feet. Assuncao shoots in, but Faber sprawls and delivers a few shots inside. Clinch as both jockey for position before backing away. Faber jabs and Assuncao counters, but nether score too directly. Faber dropped on a slip, then Assuncao dropped on a punishing right hand. Faber dives in and Assuncao pulls guard. Two minutes remain, and Faber works a few elbows in from the top. Assuncao holding on defensively with his arms. Faber shifting around in the guard. Assuncao tries to roll free, and Faber jumps to his back. Faber locks in the rear-naked choke, and Assuncao has no choice but to tap. Urijah Faber def. Raphael Assuncao via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 3, 3:49.

God damn, Faber never plays it safe and I mean that in a good way. No changing the channel or looking away when he's fighting.

Awesome fight. I had first round a draw, 2nd for Urijah, 3rd going for Urijah.

it was a great fight..

Grittys - God damn, Faber never plays it safe and I mean that in a good way. No changing the channel or looking away when he's fighting.

Yep, he's the man. Never understood how anyone wasn't a fan or insisted he was over-rated.

good to see two former champs both win decisive victories tonight. faber and brown are both awesome to watch. wec has a great division.

wow, holy shit, extremely impressive win for Faber

Good fight.

Great win for Faber. Assuncao is a definite top ten FW.

Brazilian Kick - Wow. How did he sub a black belt? Amazing. I did not foresee Faber having this skill against a BJJ phenom. Just wow.

He beat him up pretty badly in rounds 2 and 3 before getting the submission

I hope that asian guy in Faber's corner has a medical reason to wear sunglasses inside a building at night. I'm hope he's not wearing them because he thinks it looks cool.

Maybe the best Faber we've ever seen.